MLB 2018: Sho(hei) Me What You Got

Myshkin

Wow -- I did not realize that the Dodgers have same record as the Marlins (at least until this game ends). Injuries have been brutal across the league this season and the Dodgers have gotten the worst of it.

22 hours ago, Week said:

Wow -- I did not realize that the Dodgers have same record as the Marlins (at least until this game ends). Injuries have been brutal across the league this season and the Dodgers have gotten the worst of it.

Speaking of the Marlins, this story broke a month ago, but nobody cares about the Marlins, their corporate headquarters in the British Virgin Islands is a PO Box. Not an uncommon practice for corporations, but they’re doing this so they don’t have to pay back some of the stadium deal money. Because that’s how you ingratiate yourself with a fan base that hates you. And now they’re taking the press credentials from the journalist who broke the story.

On 5/17/2018 at 3:40 AM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Houston has one badass pitching staff.

It’s crazy! Their pitching coach, Brent Strom, is some kind of wizard or something. Verlander has a 1.06 ERA since being traded there last year. Gerritt Cole is off to a crazy start, and his once normal K/9 rate is now among league leaders. Morton looks unhittable most starts. And if one of them gets hurt then they can just throw Peacock back into the rotation. An embarrassment of riches.

Hicks with his second inside-the-park homer of the season. 

3 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Sanchez goes 4-5 with two homers and Boone doesn't find a way to get him in the lineup?

Seemed to work - Romine went 3-5 with a homer and a double.  Good to see Gray get off the schneid, even if it was against the Quadruple A Royals.  Looks like Bird - and Kahnle - might be back by Friday.

13 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Seemed to work - Romine went 3-5 with a homer and a double.  Good to see Gray get off the schneid, even if it was against the Quadruple A Royals.  Looks like Bird - and Kahnle - might be back by Friday.

It didn't hurt today but he's finally getting his bat going. Gray was lights out today so I guess it was worth it. 

33 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

It didn't hurt today but he's finally getting his bat going.

Yeah both him and Stanton have already almost regressed back to their career means.

20 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Is it a minor injury, or does a 1-45 slump warrant 2 days off?

The latter.  Boone said he "felt like it was a good pause."

59 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Yeah both him and Stanton have already almost regressed back to their career means.

The latter.  Boone said he "felt like it was a good pause."

Stanton is exactly where he was at this point last season. He's probably not going to put up 37 homers in the second half of season but that's fine. 

I think Didi has a minor concussion, I was at that game where he took that knee to the head, it didn't look pretty. 

After 96 years of rain the sun finally came out in DC. We went to our first ballgame of the season and what a beauty. Los Doyers completed the sweep against the Nationals. 

The House of Mercenary is ready for baseball once more!

I have this gut feeling that Sanchez is going to be MVP of the team this year.  He has an .872 OPS despite having a .215 BABIP!  And his hard contact rate is 42%, right behind Stanton and Judge at 45% - he's hitting into bad luck.  Plus his walk rate (12%) is the highest of his career - including the minors - and I expect that to continue as he matures as a hitter.  The single season record for HR by a catcher is 42 by Javy Lopez.  I expect Sanchez to break that (although maybe not technically as he'll probably have a decent amount as a DH) - health permitting, knock on wood.

Also, been bored looking at stats, and check out the Yanks' numbers against lefties.  Based on wRC+, they got 5 guys that absolutely crush lefties - and this doesn't count Austin's 2 HRs today.  I know, SSS, but I don't expect that to change, plus you figure Andujar and Hicks should eventually get to about league average.  Only problem - if Bird (somehow someway) remains healthy, they don't have a roster spot for Austin as long as Cashman continues to prefer the 8-man BP, which he admitted he preferred last week when they called up Frazier (sent him back down after today's game, btw).  Ugh, I hate that, you don't need two mop-up guys Cash!

Anyway, their dominance against lefties bodes well against the Red Sox.  Not so much the Astros though.

All old announcers need to retire. Trepanation is preferable to guys like Sterling, the Padres broadcast (free Don Orsillo -- he's playing an idiot -- he was dumb as a Sawx broadcast, but not this dumb!), Buck, etc. etc.

4 hours ago, Week said:

All old announcers need to retire. Trepanation is preferable to guys like Sterling, the Padres broadcast (free Don Orsillo -- he's playing an idiot -- he was dumb as a Sawx broadcast, but not this dumb!), Buck, etc. etc.

Still liking Jon Miller on the radio.  I think he talks too much for TV, but perfect in the car.

Just now, Bronn Stone said:

Still liking Jon Miller on the radio.  I think he talks too much for TV, but perfect in the car.

Good point -- 1) Radio is different -- that dead space needs some blathering; 2) Jon Miller is ok -- I never had a huge problem with him ... Joe Morgan was the problem (on SNB at least).

Archived