MLB 2018: Sho(hei) Me What You Got

Myshkin

....and now Tanaka is out of the game after running in, and inexplicably not sliding, a sac fly at home.  It's Chien Ming Wang all over again!  Fuck you NL!!!

14 hours ago, dmc515 said:

....and now Tanaka is out of the game after running in, and inexplicably not sliding, a sac fly at home.  It's Chien Ming Wang all over again!  Fuck you NL!!!

It's just his hammy or so they say. I was nervous the second he reached first. 

The annual DH/pitcher hitting debate is upon us? Go DH!!

5 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

It's just his hammy or so they say. I was nervous the second he reached first. 

It’s both hamstrings and he’s now on the DL. I’m surprised he even tagged on that ball as it was hit pretty shallow. But seriously, fuck the National League and their archaic practices.

29 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

The annual DH/pitcher hitting debate is upon us? Go DH!!

It’s both hamstrings and he’s now on the DL. I’m surprised he even tagged on that ball as it was hit pretty shallow. But seriously, fuck the National League and their archaic practices.

I thought he hurt himself legging it out to first. 

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just heard on the radio that Ohtani is going to have Tommy John surgery and might be out until 2020.

:ack:

Seen a lot of this "news" which all emanates from Pedro Gomez saying he will "probably" need TJ last night.  Well, duh, once he was put on the shelf with a UCL sprain it was probable he was gonna need TJ.  This isn't news until the Angels, Ohtani himself, or even someone else confirms he's actually having surgery.

I heard on Effectively Wild that pitchers batting in 2018 have a -34 wrC+ (100 is average).

I wholeheartedly agree with pinch runners for any player that cannot run forwards. That is the level of ineptitude that NL fans are forced to watch for 2-4 ABs per game.

Nice win by the Yanks tonight.  Didi with another two homer game - he really likes hitting them in spurts.  More importantly, the bullpen is really starting to look like it's firing on all cylinders lately.  And the best part of that is Betances looks like he's completely back.  His ERA is still inflated due to all the fluky HR's he gave up early in the season - his HR/FB rate is a still a silly 28.6%, largely because he doesn't give up many fly balls.  But his peripherals are great - his strikeout rate is as high as its ever been and he's got the walk rate back down to regular levels. 

If Holder can keep up his recent performance, man, there's barely any room for Tommy Kahnle.  Kahnle, btw, struck out 3 (with one hit) in an inning of work last night for Scranton, and reportedly had his velocity back up to 97.  I think they rushed him back after the injury, but he seems to be close to ready now.  With Cole also doing great in his limited appearances as the mop up guy they might have a difficult decision to make - perhaps DFA'ing Shreve.  He'll probably be claimed, but it's not like he's a LOOGY or anything.  Has basically identical numbers on the splits.  We'll see.

Also, Boone announced Jonny Lasagna will start Thursday as Tanaka's replacement.  Excited!  What a crazy rise that dude has had the past year.  And if he doesn't work out after a couple starts, can give Sheffield a look see.

Gonna be really annoying as a Yanks fan right now.  Scranton had a doubleheader today.  Frazier hit a HR in the first game and a double in the second.  His OPS is at .994 through 33 games in Scranton.  For counting stats, multiply everything by 5 (which is, granted, a bit of an exaggeration at 165 games), and he'd have 120 runs, 215 hits, 55 doubles, 15 triples, 30 HRs, 75 walks, and...50 RBIs, which is another reminder RBIs are a dumb statistic.  He'd also have 180 strikeouts.

Also, Billy McKinney hit his seventh homerun in 20 games at Scranton.  His numbers this year are kinda weird.  He's never hit for this kind of power - he started to show it last year by hitting 16 in 124 games at two levels, but in 2016 he hit only 4 HRs in 123 games and in 2015 only hit 7 in 106 games.  OTOH, his batting average in those 20 games at Scranton this year is only .222, whereas his minor league career BA is .274.  Like I said, that's funky.

29 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Johnny LASAGNA?? Lol, thats such fantastic baseball name, another endearing aspect to this game.

That's not his actual last name, it's just what really intense Yank fans have dubbed him because Loaisiga is really hard to pronounce (let alone spell).  I like it.

23 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I know it’s ridiculous to be whining about the Yankees right now, but can they please get Bird out of the 3 hole. Can he at least earn it first?

Agreed entirely.  I think Bird will eventually start hitting at ~ a .900 OPS clip, but they should make him earn it.  I suspect they will switch him with Didi if the latter continues to stay hot like tonight's game suggests.

12 hours ago, DMBouazizi said:

Gonna be really annoying as a Yanks fan right now.  Scranton had a doubleheader today.  Frazier hit a HR in the first game and a double in the second.  His OPS is at .994 through 33 games in Scranton.  For counting stats, multiply everything by 5 (which is, granted, a bit of an exaggeration at 165 games), and he'd have 120 runs, 215 hits, 55 doubles, 15 triples, 30 HRs, 75 walks, and...50 RBIs, which is another reminder RBIs are a dumb statistic.  He'd also have 180 strikeouts.

Also, Billy McKinney hit his seventh homerun in 20 games at Scranton.  His numbers this year are kinda weird.  He's never hit for this kind of power - he started to show it last year by hitting 16 in 124 games at two levels, but in 2016 he hit only 4 HRs in 123 games and in 2015 only hit 7 in 106 games.  OTOH, his batting average in those 20 games at Scranton this year is only .222, whereas his minor league career BA is .274.  Like I said, that's funky.

It's happening at the right time too, his trade value might increase a bit.

The pen does look good. Hopefully Kahnle finishes getting his issues straightened out. Also Drury is getting reps at first now. We might be seeing him back in the Bronx soon.

Archived