MLB 2018: Sho(hei) Me What You Got

Myshkin

Really nice sweep of the M's.  Really feels like everything's starting to come together.  Other than Judge up top and Bird down low (until he gets going), Boone could pick the lineup out of a hat.  Frazier totally does not deserve being sent back down - just rotate with Gardner and Hicks!

Also, so 5 days after I made that post upthread on German missing bats at an elite level with four pitches, I see this article by Jeff Sullivan at Fangraphs saying the exact same thing.

9 hours ago, DMBouazizi said:

Frazier totally does not deserve being sent back down - just rotate with Gardner and Hicks!

I agree and maybe it's an overactive imagination on my part, but I think the Yankees might be showcasing him to other teams.  I wouldn't be surprised if Frazier gets traded as part of a deal for a pitcher.

7 minutes ago, .H. said:

I agree and maybe it's an overactive imagination on my part, but I think the Yankees might be showcasing him to other teams.  I wouldn't be surprised if Frazier gets traded as part of a deal for a pitcher.

It's not an overactive imagination at all.  They've been playing him at CF in Scranton (Triple A) much more frequently lately in a blatant showcase attempt.  He can't play center long term, but they're trying to convince others he'd be serviceable.  Hell, they've put Billy McKinney at CF lately, and he has absolutely no business there. 

Anyway, I agree Frazier (and McKinney) should be showcased, but I don't see anyone that's gonna be realistically available that's worth giving up Frazier for.  Rather just get depth with Happ or Ross (or both!), which shouldn't cost much.  The Yanks literally have a legion of arms to trade for them.  I've soured on Fulmer, so unless some other high-level controllable starter becomes legitimately available, I'd rather keep Frazier as Gardner's replacement.

14 minutes ago, .H. said:

I sure hope they don’t trade Frazier for a rental.

36 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I sure hope they don’t trade Frazier for a rental.

Yeah, maybe the aim is to procure someone non-rental?  I don't know, I'll keep my faith in Cashman, he usually does us right.

41 minutes ago, .H. said:

Yeah, maybe the aim is to procure someone non-rental?  I don't know, I'll keep my faith in Cashman, he usually does us right.

Cashman is a wizard so you could be right. They're also making Drury put in the work at first so imagine that is to up his trade value/provide insurance for Bird.

I'm curious to see if German in on an innings limit and how he continues to develop and how some of the other arms in the minors to.

23 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I'm curious to see if German in on an innings limit and how he continues to develop and how some of the other arms in the minors to.

German is certainly on a "innings" limit - although as an aside let's all agree teams have much better analytics then we do and it's not only probably a "pitch count" limit, but a relative "stressful pitch count" limit - but he's only got 60 innings so far, right?  Wouldn't be too worried bout that.

12 minutes ago, DMBouazizi said:

German is certainly on a "innings" limit - although as an aside let's all agree teams have much better analytics then we do and it's not only probably a "pitch count" limit, but a relative "stressful pitch count" limit - but he's only got 60 innings so far, right?  Wouldn't be too worried bout that.

With all these analytics I'm going to have to go to MIT to understand the game pretty soon. It makes me nervous for the future of the game.

13 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

With all these analytics I'm going to have to go to MIT to understand the game pretty soon. It makes me nervous for the future of the game.

You really don't have to have an advanced degree to understand analytics.  Take German, for instance, you can just go to fangraphs and look at his swinging strike percentage to see how promising he is.  As for innings vs. pitch count, fair enough, but the former is a pretty good proxy for the latter when it comes to a starter.  For a reliever?  Agreed that's harder to determine based on public data.  But relievers are volatile anyway.

Also, Sanchez is headed to the DL with a groin/hip problem.  Hopefully it will only be about a month.  I feel like Yankee fans have earned this - actually saw a "trade Sanchez" post on one of the more prominent fanblogs the other day.  Now watch and see how Austin Romine is in an extended sample.  Anyway, just hope it's not much more than a month.  August is when the Kraken feasts.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:13 PM, DMBouazizi said:

Also, Sanchez is headed to the DL with a groin/hip problem.  Hopefully it will only be about a month.  I feel like Yankee fans have earned this - actually saw a "trade Sanchez" post on one of the more prominent fanblogs the other day.  Now watch and see how Austin Romine is in an extended sample.  Anyway, just hope it's not much more than a month.  August is when the Kraken feasts.

Anybody who suggests trading Sanchez is insane. I mean it's been a lost season for him so far but I wouldn't trade him for anything.

8 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Anybody who suggests trading Sanchez is insane. I mean it's been a lost season for him so far but I wouldn't trade him for anything.

Trout for Sanchez? :P

Betances looked good at the plate yesterday. 

Archived