MLB 2018: Sho(hei) Me What You Got

Myshkin

4 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

They didn't win a single game where they didn't homer, also they didn't win at Yankee Stadium, they hardly scored in those three games.

Um, this is just outstandingly wrong, assuming it's a typo.  They won every game at Yankee Stadium.  Also, it doesn't take much research to empirically demonstrate that, no, Headley wasn't their best hitter in the ALCS.  That was Judge - and why?  Because he hit three HRs.  Bird was second, Heads was third.  With Stanton, Torres, and Andujar, they have a much better power hitting team (and general hitting) team than last year.  I also have hope Hicks has figured something out.  That's half the lineup.

My overall point is the Sawks hitters are hitting over their career averages right now, while many of the Yanks hitters are hitting under theirs - other than Hicks.  That's likely to coalesce, while the Sawks' hitting weaknesses in CF, 2B, and C are long-term problems.  If we assume health, I'll take the Yanks' offense and bullpen every damn day of the week.  And as for the rotation, they both have one shutdown guy.  After that?  Meh.  Price has the yips against the Yanks and Porcello/Pomz/Rodriguez don't fear me at all - nor do I think they whole is better than CC and Tanaka...if they can find a 4th starter.

15 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

You're comfortable with Happ? I hope you're right. because he hasn't exactly been lights out in the last month. Is his history versus the Red Sox enough to make a trade for him?

Last year Happ had a 1.90 ERA against the Sawks in 23 innings.  This year he faced them once:  7 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 0 BB, 10 K.  I'll take it.  Happ's last two starts have been really shitty - one against the Yanks.  I'm not too concerned.  Take him over anyone realistically out there, for sure.  That includes Fulmer.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Um, this is just outstandingly wrong, assuming it's a typo.  They won every game at Yankee Stadium.  Also, it doesn't take much research to empirically demonstrate that, no, Headley wasn't their best hitter in the ALCS.  That was Judge - and why?  Because he hit three HRs.  Bird was second, Heads was third.  With Stanton, Torres, and Andujar, they have a much better power hitting team (and general hitting) team than last year.  I also have hope Hicks has figured something out.  That's half the lineup.

My overall point is the Sawks hitters are hitting over their career averages right now, while many of the Yanks hitters are hitting under theirs - other than Hicks.  That's likely to coalesce, while the Sawks' hitting weaknesses in CF, 2B, and C are long-term problems.  If we assume health, I'll take the Yanks' offense and bullpen every damn day of the week.  And as for the rotation, they both have one shutdown guy.  After that?  Meh.  Price has the yips against the Yanks and Porcello/Pomz/Rodriguez don't fear me at all - nor do I think they whole is better than CC and Tanaka...if they can find a 4th starter.

Last year Happ had a 1.90 ERA against the Sawks in 23 innings.  This year he faced them once:  7 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 0 BB, 10 K.  I'll take it.  Happ's last two starts have been really shitty - one against the Yanks.  I'm not too concerned.  Take him over anyone realistically out there, for sure.  That includes Fulmer.

What if their hitters don't start hitting to their average and continue hitting the way they have been? They can add Brad Hand or Zach Britton to their bullpen. That is an issue that is easily fixed and likely will be.

I'm glad you're not concerned about Happ, that puts my mind at ease. Why overpay for Happ, when you can promote from within? Get Sheffield on the 40 man and give him a lot and try and package Frazier for a difference maker in the offseason.

56 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

What if their hitters don't start hitting to their average and continue hitting the way they have been? They can add Brad Hand or Zach Britton to their bullpen. That is an issue that is easily fixed and likely will be.

I am very excited about the possibility of adding Hand.  Less so Britton, but sure, if he can be had for cheap and Angelos the Elder (89) really is done with involvement in the O's I'd love it.  I think you can put together a package starting with Florial - now that he's back on the mend - that could beat most competitors for Hand.  For serial, the Yanks can get Happ and Hand without giving up Frazier, Sheff, Andujar, or obvi Torres.  I want Hand.  Like a nice ol'fashioned:

As for whether their hitters continue hitting the way they have been?  You mean one of the best offenses in the league?  Yeah, I'm cool with that.  This is my main gripe - stop acting like this team sucks.  They are, inarguably, the best team the Yanks have seen since 09, when they won the series.  There's no denying that looking at metrics.  Sick of the fucking whining.  Could the Sawks take the devision?  Sure, and that would suck.  But I like our odds better than theirs.  Plus, even if, we have to beat the Mariners and Paxson.  Then Do It, Bacardi and Cola.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

I am very excited about the possibility of adding Hand.  Less so Britton, but sure, if he can be had for cheap and Angelos the Elder (89) really is done with involvement in the O's I'd love it.  I think you can put together a package starting with Florial - now that he's back on the mend - that could beat most competitors for Hand.  For serial, the Yanks can get Happ and Hand without giving up Frazier, Sheff, Andujar, or obvi Torres.  I want Hand.  Like a nice ol'fashioned:

As for whether their hitters continue hitting the way they have been?  You mean one of the best offenses in the league?  Yeah, I'm cool with that.  This is my main gripe - stop acting like this team sucks.  They are, inarguably, the best team the Yanks have seen since 09, when they won the series.  There's no denying that looking at metrics.  Sick of the fucking whining.  Could the Sawks take the devision?  Sure, and that would suck.  But I like our odds better than theirs.  Plus, even if, we have to beat the Mariners and Paxson.  Then Do It, Bacardi and Cola.

I'm talking about the Red Sox continuing the way they're hitting and not falling back to earth. And I'd love to add Hand but I imagine he is a target of the Sox. In fact if the Yankees can't get a top notch starter they might as well add another good lefty in the pen. I'm not acting like the Yankees suck but when they account for 20% of the Orioles wins this season it is fucking frustrating. They have it in them to be just as good or better than 2009 but unless they win the World Series it is meaningless. Don't you find it frustrating that they can go 20-9 against the Sox, Indians, Astros and Mariners but find ways to lose to the O's to the tune of 4-5. They should have won last night and the first game of the doubleheader. I'm not going to apologize for being frustrated when they play to the level of a historically bad team.

I appreciate the Starsky and Hutch and South Park references.

Agree that the Yankees are a marginally better team than the Sawx. Fewer holes and a decidedly better pen. It has really only been the last couple weeks that have been really unfavorable to the Yanks (and positive to the Sawx) --

https://www.fangraphs.com/standings/playoff-odds-graphs?lg=AL&div=E&stat=div&year=2018

That's still projecting both for more than 100 wins ... which ... is pretty good.

https://www.fangraphs.com/standings/playoff-odds-graphs?lg=AL&div=E&stat=exp_w&year=2018

To add - their offenses to date have actually been virtually identical (115 wrc+ -- Sawx have more average and the Yankees have more power). I see more upside in the Yankees offense going forward with more from Sanchez, Gardner, Hicks, etc. and a cooling off of JD, Benintendo and some of the other Sawx bats that have been off the chain.

Yankees pitching has been a bit better -- my guess is that it is mostly due to the Yankees strong pen.

10 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Don't you find it frustrating that they can go 20-9 against the Sox, Indians, Astros and Mariners but find ways to lose to the O's to the tune of 4-5.

Yes, I do find it frustrating.  All of that was mainly me using here as an outlet for Yankees blogs (i.e. RAB) in which there is constant chicken little-ing.  It's tiring, and I honestly don't get fans that seem to go out of their way to complain about things rather than enjoy the fact that the Yanks are a very good team with as good of a chance at winning the series as anybody - and with a young and easy team to root for to boot.

Anyway, yeah, glad Bird looks like he's getting back to it.  Almost enough for..

48 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yes, I do find it frustrating.  All of that was mainly me using here as an outlet for Yankees blogs (i.e. RAB) in which there is constant chicken little-ing.  It's tiring, and I honestly don't get fans that seem to go out of their way to complain about things rather than enjoy the fact that the Yanks are a very good team with as good of a chance at winning the series as anybody - and with a young and easy team to root for to boot.

Anyway, yeah, glad Bird looks like he's getting back to it.  Almost enough for..

Bro, I've blocked people on Facebook for that. I get where you're coming from.  

On 7/11/2018 at 9:45 AM, DMC said:

Happ just got subjected to a 46-pitch 4th inning by the Red Sox, and got chased when Mookie Betts golfed a low pitch over the Monster for a grand slam. That was... very satisfying.

On 7/12/2018 at 9:20 PM, DanteGabriel said:

Happ just got subjected to a 46-pitch 4th inning by the Red Sox, and got chased when Mookie Betts golfed a low pitch over the Monster for a grand slam. That was... very satisfying.

Happ allowed 5 runs, and ZERO earned runs in the game.  That's impressive in a "you ate a whole wheel of cheese?  I'm not even mad" way.  In Happ's last three starts his ERA has gone from 3.62 to 4.29 based on a 12 IP, 19 H, 18 R, 13 ER, 8 W, and 15 K line (that's a 2.25 WHIP). 

Gotta imagine the Jays are regretting not pulling the trigger on a trade earlier - especially considering they knew he was lined up to face New York and Boston in two of those starts.  On the bright side for me, have to assume the cost has gone down significantly.

On 7/13/2018 at 2:24 AM, Myshkin said:

Shut up Yanks and Sawks fans, nobody cares. In actually interesting news, the Dodgers are in first place. Of the world. Forever. 

It was fun while it lasted?

3 minutes ago, Rakib Altinin 1974 said:

It was fun while it lasted?

I don’t know what you’re talking about. Please refer to the portion of my post where I very clearly say forever.

MLBTR is reporting that along with Yusniel Diaz, the Dodgers are trading pitcher Dustin May and utility guy Errol Robinson (plus perhaps more) for Machado.  A comparable Yanks package would be something like Florial, Tate, and..I dunno, McKinney (they don't really have a good comp for Robinson).  Plus, one would think most would prefer a Diaz headlined packaged over a Florial one at the moment due to the latter's injury problems this year compared to the former's impressive season at Double A.  So, yeah, glad the Yanks apparently aren't willing to beat that offer, that's too much.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

MLBTR is reporting that along with Yusniel Diaz, the Dodgers are trading pitcher Dustin May and utility guy Errol Robinson (plus perhaps more) for Machado.  A comparable Yanks package would be something like Florial, Tate, and..I dunno, McKinney (they don't really have a good comp for Robinson).  Plus, one would think most would prefer a Diaz headlined packaged over a Florial one at the moment due to the latter's injury problems this year compared to the former's impressive season at Double A.  So, yeah, glad the Yanks apparently aren't willing to beat that offer, that's too much.

Too much for a guy they can sign as a free agent for sure. 

Yeah I’m seeing reports that May might be in the package, but also other reports saying that the reason the return was built around Diaz is because the Dodgers wouldn’t give up May. Wait and see, I guess. I’m just glad we didn’t give up Keibert Ruiz. Diaz and May are good prospects, and both of them together would be a very steep price for a rental, but from what I hear the O’s original asking price was (Verdugo, Ruiz, or even Buehler), I’m okay with it. At least this trade can’t possibly goes as wrong as the Darvish trade.

Archived