MLB 2018: Sho(hei) Me What You Got

Myshkin

16 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I’ve had him as a keeper in my main nerd league since he was a rookie so I’m used to his ups and downs. He’ll be just fine, if he can stay healthy of course.

9 hours ago, dmc515 said:

I have zero worry about Stanton, and I think it's kind of silly - if entirely expected - to have any with 152 games to play.  The only thing that made me slightly concerned in the first ten games is the bullpen.  There's sure to be regression which will help, but if Boone has as quick a hook on his starters all season like he's demonstrated so far, the bullpen is gonna be gassed by the ASB likely necessitating new (and fresh) arms.  And their 40-man reservoir was depleted a few days ago when Ben Heller had Tommy John.

Also, it’s being reported that the Miami Marlins are not in fact the Miami Marlins. They are the British Virgin Island Marlins, who just happen to play in Miami. This is to avoid paying taxes. I hope the city kicks them out of the stadium and tells them to go play at the University of Miami.

They probably couldn’t fill that stadium either, so who cares.

19 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Stanton doesn't even have the highest K% in baseball thus far - he's fourth!  He's at 41.7%.  There's some guy in second with 47.2% named Miguel Sano.  What team does he play for again?

And they both have three HRs!!!

The only difference is Sano costs $600k while Stanton runs a $25m tab.   

24 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Yes, six years of team control is a thing.

Don’t you guys have him through 2027 at $25m-$32m a year if he doesn’t opt out (and I doubt he will if he keeps playing like this)?    

43 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Don’t you guys have him through 2027 at $25m-$32m a year if he doesn’t opt out (and I doubt he will if he keeps playing like this)?    

He only costs $22 million per year against the luxury tax for the Yanks.  That's gonna be a bargain very soon.  Who knows if he'll opt out in three years - he just won the NL MVP with a 7.1 WAR, and it's been ten fucking games.

ETA:  Now realize I might have been confusing sorry - the "six years of team control" was referring to Sano's cheap contract, not Stanton's contract.  Every good player with less than six years (and actually seven if you manipulate the service time right) is criminally underpaid.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, it’s being reported that the Miami Marlins are not in fact the Miami Marlins. They are the British Virgin Island Marlins, who just happen to play in Miami. This is to avoid paying taxes. I hope the city kicks them out of the stadium and tells them to go play at the University of Miami.

They probably couldn’t fill that stadium either, so who cares.

Just when you thought the Marlins couldn’t get any more ridiculous.

5 hours ago, dmc515 said:

He only costs $22 million per year against the luxury tax for the Yanks.  That's gonna be a bargain very soon.  Who knows if he'll opt out in three years - he just won the NL MVP with a 7.1 WAR, and it's been ten fucking games.

ETA:  Now realize I might have been confusing sorry - the "six years of team control" was referring to Sano's cheap contract, not Stanton's contract.  Every good player with less than six years (and actually seven if you manipulate the service time right) is criminally underpaid.

Really? I thought it was going to be over $30m soon, but granted, I don't really know the mechanics of baseball finance.

Also, didn't realize we have Miggy under contract for that long at a cheap price. That's pretty dope!  

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

Just when you thought the Marlins couldn’t get any more ridiculous.

I just love how they gave up a HR on the first pitch of the season. Kurkjian said that's only happened one other time. This audio is great:

19 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I would prefer they leave him there a bit longer. Unless he is going to start I don't see the point of letting him fester on the bench.

Well, at least until Drury comes back - and that appears to be very much up in the air, I think there's plenty of playing time to go around.

5 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Dodgers to host 2020 All-Star Game. Last time we they hosted was 1980, so it will only have been forty fucking years between All-Star Games in L.A.

I mean, Anaheim isn’t exactly in another time zone. Now that I think of it, isn’t it actually considered part of of metropolitan L.A.?

18 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I mean, Anaheim isn’t exactly in another time zone. Now that I think of it, isn’t it actually considered part of of metropolitan L.A.?

No.

The wiki article is correct by US government standards and every statistical measure I've been able to find. 
Snobbery suits you poorly.  Snobbery in disdain for facts suits everyone poorly, even the POTUS.

Archived