Astromech

April 2018 Reads

I finished up Live Traders today.  I really like Live Traders, I think I enjoyed it more than the Farseer trilogy.  I may have to jump right into Tawny Man, hope the library has them on e-book so I don't have to wait.

31 minutes ago, SkynJay said:

I finished up Live Traders today.  I really like Live Traders, I think I enjoyed it more than the Farseer trilogy.  I may have to jump right into Tawny Man, hope the library has them on e-book so I don't have to wait.

*bangs on table*

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

12 hours ago, Triskele said:

Does it seem like a setting and dialogue where someone would say "bollocks?"  Not in the least, right?  Well, if you read on long enough you'll see someone exclaim "Bollocks!"  And many other anachronisms.  

#spoilers

#sorry, not sorry

Yeah, the dialogue is Sanderson level of cringe.  Which is fine when I expect it, but I was told this series is significantly better than the Shadow series, and it just isn't.  It's bad.

Spoiler

And you're going to tell me that his fucking fiancee can't tell the difference between him and his brother?  That he had no best friends and even his father couldn't tell the difference.  So dumb.

Posted (edited)

I've lost my love of reading fiction :( All I read now are research articles and things like this. I can't even finish the last Witcher book--a series I absolutely loved. 

I DID get through Slash of the Titans: the Road to Freddy vs Jason over Christmas Break. But I had just had wrist surgery and a good supply of opiates. I think that might have helped.

Edited by Simon Steele

I finished The Perpetual Astonishment Of Jonathan Fairfax by Christopher Shevlin, a humorous British novel in which the titular character feels like a younger version of Arthur Dent, but with less self-confidence or elan.  The story ricochets through multiple POVs, arch bantering dialogue, friendships of various types and a cosy plot that serves the characters and humor just right.  Recommended.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:07 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

His Disappearance at Devil's Rock is excellent too.

Speaking of, this just dropped to $1.99 for US Kindle.  Scooped it up.

I forgot to update my reading for April, so here's a quick recap of how I ended the month.

Finished The Martian by Andy Weir on the 20th, I really loved the book.

On the 28th I finished Fiddlesticks and Freckles by Sam Campbell, which is the ninth book of his Living Forest series.