If I were planning to ransom a lord?

In ASOS it is said that 300 golden dragons is a fair ransom for a knight. This is the ransom that is demanded for Brienne (who is not a knight, but is the heir of Tarth). When Merret was trying to ransom Petyr Frey (who was noble, but not a knight and from a very numerous and cheap family) he had a bag with 100 golden dragons.

When Jaime escapes, Robb offers 1.000 dragons for his recapture, which could also serve as a reference for the "market price" of a knight who is a firstborn from a rich great family.

I think it depends on how much is a house powerfull. For members of Great houses and some powerfull minor houses (Hightower, Frey...) ransom is bigger than other minor houses. For landed knights lesser than average minor house.

On 4/3/2018 at 4:57 PM, Kandrax said:

I think it depends on how much is a house powerfull. For members of Great houses and some powerfull minor houses (Hightower, Frey...) ransom is bigger than other minor houses. For landed knights lesser than average minor house.

Exactly.

What I was trying to convey was a question regarding a reasonable ransom for anyone, based on their social standing:

A Ned Stark with Ice included would be worth far more than a Wendel Manderly or a Galbart Glover; but by how much. I'm thinking a lord paramount- from any region- would be upwards of 50k, a high lord would be somewhere around 20k, and knights of lower birth/little consequence might fall below the 1k mark.

On 4/3/2018 at 11:32 AM, The hairy bear said:

When Jaime escapes, Robb offers 1.000 dragons for his recapture, which could also serve as a reference for the "market price" of a knight who is a firstborn from a rich great family.

Though we must remember that this is for capturing Jaime, as opposed to selling him to his family.

You have to offer some type of reward, because loyalty isn't going to cut it alone. But, when deciding on a figure, it's important to remember that foot soldiers won't know what officers know i.e. how much the Lannisters will pay.

Archived