Tiamat’s Wrath - The Expanse #8

Rhom

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

So... is Tiamat the proto molecule?  Or the proto molecule killers?

Well, Babylon's ashes dealt with the protomolecule's demise and their gate empire. Tiamat is one of the central gods of the Babylonian/Assyrian world, which Persepolis was somewhat built on top of. My guess would be it's the protomolecule creators, not the whatever it was which wiped them out.

It gets a bit weirder, because Tiamat is both central to the creation myths of Assyria and central to the world-ending fight that had Marduk in charge at the end. If you want to think of Marduk as the protomolecule creators, that'd mean that what rose up against them was around before they were - and wiped them out after. 

It'd be cool to see some more info on the creators of the protomolecule. Although given the crazy stuff going on with the time-loss side-effect on the laconian weapons it's likely they've triggered the protomolecule alien killers into noticing them. I think Holden said as much?

Although I'm very open to the possibility that the creators and destroyers of the protomolecule are one and the same. It'd fit as a mirro of humantiy's behaviour if it were the case that it was actually just two factions of the same species that were at war.

18 minutes ago, red snow said:

Although I'm very open to the possibility that the creators and destroyers of the protomolecule are one and the same. It'd fit as a mirro of humantiy's behaviour if it were the case that it was actually just two factions of the same species that were at war.

I hadn't thought about it before but that would work very well thematically.

Archived