How's Life thread

Theda Baratheon

Do we have one of these?  I want to know how everyone is and what you're up to! 

Just a place to say what's happening with you and how are you. So you can vent or just be proud of what's going on or just say anything! 

So for me...

I applied to a REALLY REALLY cool job that I desperately want, driving lessons are really frustrating and taking me ages, volunteer project in the museum is going OK, I hate my current retail job that I've been doing for almost 5 years and my Masters Degree is going pretty good this year. I want to pass my driving test so I can feel more independent and have a better chance of getting a good job and I hate working retail but on the plus side I have been volunteering for over two years now and my CV is starting to look quite nice for an emerging professional in the heritage sector....I hope...lol. 

So how is everyone!?

If it helps it took me ages to learn to drive, failed my test 4 times but got there in the end and now I am basically Lewis Hamilton...

Okay the last bit is a lie but I feel like I am a good driver now!

I am pretty great, opened a gym a month ago which has been my lifelong dream/goal and it's going well so that's awesome, working very long hours at the moment (probably averaging around 75 a week between my normal job and the gym) so I am very tired permanently but hopefully it will be worth it long term.

Life is pretty good for me now. No debts, looking at retirement in a few years and my kids are doing alright. My friends on the board here are doing ok too and that makes me happy. If TWOW comes out soon, all will be forgiven. 

1 hour ago, lessthanluke said:

If it helps it took me ages to learn to drive, failed my test 4 times but got there in the end and now I am basically Lewis Hamilton...

Okay the last bit is a lie but I feel like I am a good driver now!

I am pretty great, opened a gym a month ago which has been my lifelong dream/goal and it's going well so that's awesome, working very long hours at the moment (probably averaging around 75 a week between my normal job and the gym) so I am very tired permanently but hopefully it will be worth it long term.

That does make me feel a bit better actually lol. It's been 10 months so far and I'm just bored and want to pass NOW. 

And thats fucking awesome mate! Nice one!!! Long days but I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end!  Well happy for you! 

10 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Life is pretty good for me now. No debts, looking at retirement in a few years and my kids are doing alright. My friends on the board here are doing ok too and that makes me happy. If TWOW comes out soon, all will be forgiven. 

Glad life is good for you and your kids are doing OK! :D

I'll become a father end of July/beginning of August, so I've been over the Moon for months now. :D 

Other things are going well, too. Hopefully, I haven't jinxed it now. :D 

Just now, baxus said:

I'll become a father end of July/beginning of August, so I've been over the Moon for months now. :D 

Other things are going well, too. Hopefully, I haven't jinxed it now. :D 

Congratulations! That's awesome!! Not long now at all :D best wishes for everything! 

16 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

After almost of year of unending grief and trauma, it feels like things are finally turning around. My mom is moving forward with her life after the unexpected death of my father and I am so very happy for her and proud of her. 

Wishing the best for you and your Mam x 

*hugs* @Xray the Enforcer

Congrats @baxus! Little people are the best!

Best of luck @lessthanluke!

@Theda Baratheon I am pulling for you. 

So on the good side:  I just authored a paper submitted to the government on a part of the new tax code for the NYSBA tax section. It’s getting a lot of positive feedback. I got elected to the Tax Forum - oldest tax club in the country (yes tax clubs exist - you are now a tiny bit less cool for knowing that). I found out I will be Chambers ranked this year. I don’t know what band, but even to be listed is amazing. Husband and I bought a place in the country. I can’t wait to start gardening but the weather is still crap. Also already had a boiler issue. Oh well. 

On the less good side - bigger kids, bigger problems. Girls had a disastrous play date where the little girl and her brother slipped Benadryl into one of my daughters drinks “as a prank”. A lot of fall out from that. Have never done this before but actually told the school. Last night that same daughter started talking about the virtues of skinniness. I know this came from my mother and evil sister over the weekend. And it is complicated because it isn’t like I have a bad relationship with either of them. 

Actually, we have a similar thread. It is called TTTNE. ;)

Congratulations to Baxus! :commie:

As for me, mostly busy with work, I have horrible schedules right now, but I have decided to drop one of the schools I currently teach for after the current courses finish, so I will hopefully have a more sensible schedule some months from now.

I got a graduate level job. Its something I had never thought of doing until I had seen the job description and applied for it. Not totally unrelated to my degree but very different from the standard LPC-training contract/BPTC-pupillage route. And it's not a job in finance or management either, which seems to be the go to for non-law careers for law grads! Anyway, being accepted on this grad scheme felt so fucking good, especially after the many, many, many (many...) Rejections prior to it.

My mood has been awesome since then too!

Congrats to Theda, your life sounds pretty great right now! Glad your masters is going well and you are volunteering for something you are passionate about. Good luck with the driving! I hate and fear driving so I am not even taking lessons anymore...

Congrats Like, on opening the gym! 

X-ray, glad your mam is moving on :grouphug: hope you are well too

Congrats Baxus too!

OMG. @HelenaExMachina !!! That is AWESOME. *SO* happy to here you're doing great!!! Wow! Fingers crossed for me and this job application then ;) 

Yes, life is pretty good now. I'm definitely moving in the right direction and know exactly what I want to do. :D

Much love to everyone here!!!

5 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Actually, we have a similar thread. It is called TTTNE. ;)

Congratulations to Baxus! :commie:

As for me, mostly busy with work, I have horrible schedules right now, but I have decided to drop one of the schools I currently teach for after the current courses finish, so I will hopefully have a more sensible schedule some months from now.

I hope you can get a more sensible schedule soon ^_^ Don't want to overwork yourself 

Hope you're daughter is OK @Mlle. Zabzie !! But it sounds like a lot of good things are happening for you too x 

Congratulations to Helena indeed. :) I have no idea what a "graduate scheme" is, but it seems to be something that is working for you, so great!

Theda, thanks ... it is really annoying that I have to get up at 5.10 AM just to be at the workplace at 7 (long commute) only to work for 90 minutes at a time ... then go home and go back to another place for about 2,5 hours in the afternoon. These two days are killing me, the rest of the week is better.

I realised the other day that I am the happiest I can ever remember being - so that was nice! 

I'm loving uni at the moment - going back for post-grad was the right call, everything is relatively stable with the kids, and we've finally set a wedding date which is pretty exciting!

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I got a graduate level job. Its something I had never thought of doing until I had seen the job description and applied for it. Not totally unrelated to my degree but very different from the standard LPC-training contract/BPTC-pupillage route. And it's not a job in finance or management either, which seems to be the go to for non-law careers for law grads! Anyway, being accepted on this grad scheme felt so fucking good, especially after the many, many, many (many...) Rejections prior to it.

My mood has been awesome since then too!

Congrats to Theda, your life sounds pretty great right now! Glad your masters is going well and you are volunteering for something you are passionate about. Good luck with the driving! I hate and fear driving so I am not even taking lessons anymore...

Congrats Like, on opening the gym! 

X-ray, glad your mam is moving on :grouphug: hope you are well too

Congrats Baxus too!

Congratulations, good luck. :)

Life is good, I enjoy every day. 

18 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Had open heart surgery last week. Didn't die. Life is good. 

You really had surgery?  Glad you pulled through ok.  

@baxus congratulations and best wishes. 

I’m one year now into my current role and the early stress has leveled off and it’s been a good success so far.  We had a major milestone recently in launching our first closed-end fund (which had been dead in the water when I started), plus we have another new fund launch on schedule for 5/1.  Client portfolios have all been doing really well, which is the most important thing.  I’m publishing more thought pieces too.  It would help if I could hire some more junior to mid level quants who want a route to more responsibility but I cannot match i-bank or hedge fund pay.  A proposed acquisition for one of my teams fell through during due diligence (better that we found the problem than not), which was frustrating for them.  So good and bad, but mostly good.

Our son got accepted into a new school for September that will take him through middle school and high school.  I’m really proud of him because it is the hardest private school in Chicago to get into (unless your parents are faculty at the University of Chicago).  And it means he won’t have to go through a high school application process in three years. 

The family is all happy and healthy and we’ve had more time for friends in the past few months. 

Archived