How's Life thread

Theda Baratheon

5 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Had open heart surgery last week. Didn't die. Life is good. 

Glad you pulled through! My best to you!

My best to everyone in the thread!

I'm dealing with my ssdd stuff.

My dad's pain management doctor is retiring and having trouble finding a new one. He turns 90 in 2 weeks! He's in constant pain though up all night long moaning and crying. Primary doctor won't give him pain meds.

Had a leak under the kitchen sink, called a plumber and got it fixed but there's a lot of damage, sink and counters need to be pulled out for proper repair. Going to cost $$$$$$$, afraid to put a claim in with home insurance because last time we did in 2015 they cancelled us. Every time I walk in the kitchen there are spots around where the kitchen sink is that are noticeably week and i'm paranoid about falling through the floor. It's happened before in this house...

Mom is going through a low point through all of this, really depressed. Both parents have important doctor's appointments to get to that week keep putting off because....reasons, and we're playing with fire here.

My good "friend" that I had been depending on for rides (and compensating him) for some reason is upset with me, cut off all communication, but we never had an altercation or anything and any attempts by me to find out what's going on has been ignored.

So I'm having to take cabs or uber to go anywhere and it stresses me out.

I've had two broken teeth in my mouth since last Halloween and I haven't been able to get to the dentist to get it taken care of.

Also I have plantar fasciitis in my right heel that's a lot of pain, not going away even with the treatment I've been doing. Had it for almost 3 months now.

So things are going swimmingly :P 

16 hours ago, baxus said:

I'll become a father end of July/beginning of August, so I've been over the Moon for months now. :D 

Other things are going well, too. Hopefully, I haven't jinxed it now. :D 

whoa, congrats dude, that rules!

16 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

After almost of year of unending grief and trauma, it feels like things are finally turning around. My mom is moving forward with her life after the unexpected death of my father and I am so very happy for her and proud of her. 

xoxo [jose canseco voice] mad hugs for you, dude, we need to hang soon

in my life (hopefully i’m not gonna jinx it here) just put in notice at my job of almost 13 years, and feeling very weird about it 

also I got a dog and she whips major ass and I love her so much 

I always read these type of threads but don't respond, then feel like a dick.  Part of that is because I clearly don't have anything even close to resembling the relationships many of you have cultivated with each other, but it's also because I often can be an uncaring dick - which I suspect makes people perceive me as an uncaring dick.  So, in the interest of not being an uncaring dick, I'm going to do a comprehensive (drunken) response.  In all likelihood just this once.  Because I really (honestly!) do care, I just never developed the ability to express it without a fifth of whiskey in me.

22 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I applied to a REALLY REALLY cool job that I desperately want

Hope you get that job!  I sucked at driving tests too, wouldn't worry about it.  In fact I think I got luke beat, don't really remember but I must've failed at least 5 or 6 times.  Glad the Masters is going good, sounds pretty awesome all around.

20 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

I am pretty great, opened a gym a month ago

That sounds really cool, gotta be great doing what you dreamed of no matter the hours.  Also, I can't help but think of Dodgeball.  Opening your own gym?  "That's a bold move, Cotton." 

19 hours ago, maarsen said:

Life is pretty good for me now. No debts, looking at retirement in a few years

Nice, glad the kids are alright.  My parents have been looking into retirement for a few years now,* and one of my mentors retired this past year.  I mention this because they all seem to want to go to the same type of cities in the south - Asheville, Athens, or St. Augustine.  Wondering if Canada had the same type of ideal destinations for retirees.

*Well, my mother is going to retire next year while my dad seems intent on working til the day he dies.  Got a five year grant two years ago without discussing it with my mom, because that's how our family works.  She wants to move elsewhere, he's currently busy re-landscaping their entire property.

19 hours ago, baxus said:

I'll become a father end of July/beginning of August, so I've been over the Moon for months now. :D 

Congratulations and good luck!!!

19 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

After almost of year of unending grief and trauma, it feels like things are finally turning around. My mom is moving forward with her life after the unexpected death of my father and I am so very happy for her and proud of her. 

Glad to hear, don't know how in world I, or my family for that matter, would deal with that.  Happy to know everyone came out the other end.

17 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

So on the good side:  I just authored a paper submitted to the government on a part of the new tax code for the NYSBA tax section. It’s getting a lot of positive feedback. I got elected to the Tax Forum - oldest tax club in the country (yes tax clubs exist - you are now a tiny bit less cool for knowing that). I found out I will be Chambers ranked this year.

The bolded sounds impressive!  I don't really know what it means, but it sounds pretty damn boss.  Good luck with the new place and the kids - and meddling relatives and really mean pranksters.

17 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

As for me, mostly busy with work

Always good to lighten the teaching load.

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I got a graduate level job.

Congrats!  That's gotta feel good after trying for awhile.  Not sure what exactly a graduate level job entails, but sounds like that's what you were looking for, which is great.

9 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Simply Trying to  get through it.

Cheers to that.

8 hours ago, brook said:

I realised the other day that I am the happiest I can ever remember being - so that was nice! 

I'm loving uni at the moment - going back for post-grad was the right call, everything is relatively stable with the kids, and we've finally set a wedding date which is pretty exciting!

Wow.  I'm jealous.

8 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Had open heart surgery last week. Didn't die. Life is good. 

Best wishes man.  Hope the recovery goes well.

8 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I’m one year now into my current role and the early stress has leveled off and it’s been a good success so far.  We had a major milestone recently in launching our first closed-end fund (which had been dead in the water when I started), plus we have another new fund launch on schedule for 5/1.  Client portfolios have all been doing really well, which is the most important thing.  I’m publishing more thought pieces too.

The bolded sounds like a fun - and still productive - outlet.  And congrats to your son!

2 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

I'm dealing with my ssdd stuff.

Sorry about your parents, that's really gotta suck.  Your "friend" sounds like a piece of work.  I have plantar fasciitis too - lots of colleagues, friends, and even family don't get how much it can demobilize you - so definitely empathize there.

2 hours ago, unpaid comintern said:

in my life (hopefully i’m not gonna jinx it here) just put in notice at my job of almost 13 years, and feeling very weird about it 

Glad the new dog is working out.  Any good quitting story?

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

But I've been totally nagged for a while feeling like I am prime to take a career next step but am balking at taking the plunge on that.  A classic reticence to get out of the comfort zone.   

I'm right there with you dude.  Like, exactly.

Thanks for all the nice wishes, ladies and gentlemen! :D  

Glad to hear most of you are having a great time in your lives, too. I hope the ones who aren't will join us as soon as possible.

@Spockydog Hope the bad part is behind you now. I wish you a quick and full recovery. What did the doctors say, how long until you can watch Arsenal again? I hope it's not too soon for jokes like that. ;) 

22 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

You really had surgery?  Glad you pulled through ok.  

Quadruple bypass, baby. The process wasn't quite as horrific as I was expecting, and I'm recovering well. That first sneeze was a doozy though.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Quadruple bypass, baby. The process wasn't quite as horrific as I was expecting, and I'm recovering well. That first sneeze was a doozy though.

Holy shit, Spocky.  I thought you'd gone quiet on the football threads because of Wenger-induced depression.  Take care of yourself with the recovery.  I've heard it's tough doing day to day stuff while waiting for the chest muscles to knit back together and regaining your energy levels.  Best wishes.

I have my ups and downs, but on balance things are pretty good right now.

I really like the city I'm living in. It's big and diverse enough to have lots of cool stuff going on in terms of culture, sport and other various activities. On the other hand it's not so big as to feel oppressive and gorgeous countryside is only minutes away. My job is...less than ideal...but I also recognise that it could be much worse and it affords me a measure of stability whilst I work out my longer term goals, so I count it as a positive.

More personally, I've never had as active a social life as I do now which I'm really enjoying. For the first time in my life, I feel like I've found my people, in a way that I never found at University or in the military. On top of that I've been practising a brand new sport. Being a beginner at something new is both frustrating and rewarding, and the sport itself is a shit tonne of fun.

Dating is not really on the cards, but I'm at a point where I'm okay with just letting things be what they will be on that front. Not necessarilly happy with the situation, but willing to roll with it.

So yeah, not too bad overall.

Gonna get married soon.  No date yet, but probably around this time next year.  Still trying to decide if we want to do the whole wedding thing or just head to the ‘ol justice of the peace.  Whatever we do, she’s my best friend and I’m absolutely ready.  

Job is pretty good.  I like it most of the time, lots of perks.  The actual $$ isn’t the best I could do out there, but there’s a legit pension if I hang in there (for like 25 more years.. lol) and great insurance which means any alternative has to really be worth it.

I have come to really enjoy where I live as well.  The nature of my job has me all over the state.  5 years in Texas and I’m quite sure I’ve seen more of it and know more about it than most natives.  There are some really great spots that few people know about, and I love the food.  Great food all over the state.  TX BBQ and TexMex are right up my alley and I can get pretty much anything I want in Austin.. or San Antonio or Dallas which I visit fairly often.  I didn’t take to Texas immediately, but over time I’ve gotten to the point where the only reasons I might leave are a. an impossible to turn down job opportunity or b. to move back closer to my parents and my Sister’s family in Virginia.  Culturally it’s actually very similar to where I grew up in West Virginia and rural Va. so I’m kind of able to overlook the politics and I live in a liberal city besides.  Aside from my stint in DC I’ve always lived in a mostly conservative  zone so I can deal.  It is hot as hell in the summer though.  No skirting around that.

On the one hand, things are going really great for me. I love my program and definitely think I made the right decision in going back to school. I'm almost finished with a first author paper, which is exciting to have been productive at research even alongside all the other stuff I am doing. I'm enjoying being single and have been dating, which while it can be terrible is in general fun. Chicago is a great city and I've been having a good time exploring it. I've made friends for the first time in almost a decade. Realistically, I couldn't really ask for too much more from life.

On the other hand, my depression seems to be flaring up which makes it hard to enjoy any of the above even though I know I should. Luckily I have been motivated enough to seek out treatment and I am getting set up with a new therapist next week.

7 hours ago, Triskele said:

Dude, how?  Please feel free to not respond if I'm prying too much, but are you not both not particularly old and not particularly heavy?  My impression of the QB candidate is much heaver person almost always in their 50's or older.  Something congenital?  

I'm 48, 5 foot 11, and weigh about 12 stone. My Grandad died of a heart attack when he was 47, and I was hospitalized for a few weeks with rheumatic fever when I was nine. 

Given my history, I always assumed my heart would get me, but the doctors reckon it'll be good for another forty years now.

@S John congratulations on your engagement.  And the food is the best thing about Texas. 

@Starkess welcome to Chicago.  Just wait until the weather improves.  This city is buzzing from May-October and the goodwill & vitality usually lasts until December.  This right now is the tough period when everyone is fed up with the cold. 

3 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

@Starkess welcome to Chicago.  Just wait until the weather improves.  This city is buzzing from May-October and the goodwill & vitality usually lasts until December.  This right now is the tough period when everyone is fed up with the cold. 

Ughh I am so over it. I thought it would be winter that did me in, with the snow and ice and long nights, but that was actually manageable. This stretched out awfulness is killing me. I forgot how bad that part is! I grew up in the Midwest but 9 years living away from freezing temps and "real" winter really spoiled me. 

3 hours ago, Starkess said:

Ughh I am so over it. I thought it would be winter that did me in, with the snow and ice and long nights, but that was actually manageable. This stretched out awfulness is killing me. I forgot how bad that part is! I grew up in the Midwest but 9 years living away from freezing temps and "real" winter really spoiled me. 

That’s what gets me as well.  Virginia is really quite mild in all 4 seasons but on the other side of the mountains in West Virginia the winter really drags.  I moved back there for a spell after undergrad and about this time of year was the worst part.    I don’t really mind winter for the first couple of months, I’m just always done with it before it’s done with me.

Texas has the opposite problem in that it’s the summer that comes early and then never wants to give up and go away.  While actually living in a hot climate is most definitely not as rosy as I had imagined it would be as a kid, I still think I slightly prefer a prolonged summer to a prolonged winter.  I’ve decided to cap my northern boundary of full time living at Virginia.  I’m not moving farther north than that unless it’s west of Kansas or an opportunity that is so incredible that it can’t be turned down.  Midwest and Northeast are retired for me.

20 hours ago, S John said:

Gonna get married soon.  No date yet, but probably around this time next year.  Still trying to decide if we want to do the whole wedding thing or just head to the ‘ol justice of the peace.  Whatever we do, she’s my best friend and I’m absolutely ready.  

Hey, congrats! That's awesome. Glad you're taking to Texas as well.

You came up in conversation recently when I was talking with a friend of mine whom you met at MDF all those years ago. You and MC taught his wife to shotgun a beer.

20 hours ago, Starkess said:

On the one hand, things are going really great for me. I love my program and definitely think I made the right decision in going back to school. I'm almost finished with a first author paper, which is exciting to have been productive at research even alongside all the other stuff I am doing. I'm enjoying being single and have been dating, which while it can be terrible is in general fun. Chicago is a great city and I've been having a good time exploring it. I've made friends for the first time in almost a decade. Realistically, I couldn't really ask for too much more from life.

On the other hand, my depression seems to be flaring up which makes it hard to enjoy any of the above even though I know I should. Luckily I have been motivated enough to seek out treatment and I am getting set up with a new therapist next week.

"First author paper" sounds like a pretty big deal to me. Congrats. And yeah, Chicago is a lot of fun for running. I don't know if you have any intentions of running a marathon at some point, but the Chicago Marathon is a great experience all around. And that's good that you are actively dealing with the depression. I know what a devil that can be.

On 4/6/2018 at 5:53 AM, S John said:

Congrats, man! Best wishes to you and your fiancee!

On 4/7/2018 at 4:11 AM, Triskele said:

Glad to hear it!

Also, S John knows how to shotgun a beer?

"Shotgun a beer" is an expression I'm not familiar with but I'll be damned if it doesn't sound like the most Texan thing EVER!

On 4/6/2018 at 7:20 PM, S John said:

That’s what gets me as well.  Virginia is really quite mild in all 4 seasons but on the other side of the mountains in West Virginia the winter really drags.  I moved back there for a spell after undergrad and about this time of year was the worst part.    I don’t really mind winter for the first couple of months, I’m just always done with it before it’s done with me.

Texas has the opposite problem in that it’s the summer that comes early and then never wants to give up and go away.  While actually living in a hot climate is most definitely not as rosy as I had imagined it would be as a kid, I still think I slightly prefer a prolonged summer to a prolonged winter.  I’ve decided to cap my northern boundary of full time living at Virginia.  I’m not moving farther north than that unless it’s west of Kansas or an opportunity that is so incredible that it can’t be turned down.  Midwest and Northeast are retired for me.

It snowwwwed today, like seriously just stop. Ugh. Having lived in warm and cold climates, I am definitely one of those people who doesn't really get sick of the warmth! I will say though that living in South Carolina (as opposed to Southern CA) I did get sick of the oppressive humidity and not being able to step outside without being drenched in sweat. But I'd still take that over being cold!

On 4/6/2018 at 7:46 PM, Mr. X said:

"First author paper" sounds like a pretty big deal to me. Congrats. And yeah, Chicago is a lot of fun for running. I don't know if you have any intentions of running a marathon at some point, but the Chicago Marathon is a great experience all around. And that's good that you are actively dealing with the depression. I know what a devil that can be.

Thanks! I've been enjoying the running around here (I live close enough to the lake that I usually incorporate at least a portion of the Lake Shore Trail into my runs), but I'm still recovering from my rather unexplained heel injuries so haven't been looking into doing any races. But I've been improving and just hit the 5 mile mark for my long runs without too much pain so hopefully it might be in the cards again soon! It's been almost 2 years since my last race and I really miss it.

On 4/6/2018 at 7:46 PM, Mr. X said:

Hey, congrats! That's awesome. Glad you're taking to Texas as well.

You came up in conversation recently when I was talking with a friend of mine whom you met at MDF all those years ago. You and MC taught his wife to shotgun a beer.

Thanks!  Yea it’s alright and I spend a lot of time in the Hill Country and father out into West Texas (I love the desert) for work, so between those areas and Austin I am lucky enough to spend most of my time in the best parts of the state.  

And lol, I had totally forgotten about shotgunning those beers at MDF but remembered it immediately upon reading your post.  That may have been that last time I shotgunned a beer... might have to upgrade my weekend plans!

Archived