How's Life thread

Theda Baratheon

I didn't make it to the assessment stage of the job I applied for :( I mean at least they let me know the reason and that there were over 2000 applicants...so I guess I should feel better.

Still I told myself if I didn't get it I still have lots of stuff to do here. Finish my driving lessons and finally pass...start a Cornish language class in July...more museum projects coming up so not all bad...I'm just so...BORED here. 

Theda - my last name is Cornish, I too have studied the language and history, and will be visiting relatives in the area there in the UK this summer (I live in Western Canada now).  I volunteer and sit on the board of a museum here as well, the Western Development Museum, which has many airplanes, trains, cars, motorcycles of all description and more, it's very interesting.  I've been on disability for 8 years now, and it's helping pass the time.  Anyway, very interesting that you're studying the Cornish language as part of your Masters program. 

Since I retired/was put on disability/ from contracting and training with private military companies in the early 2010s, my mother went through 2 types of cancer and passed away a few months back.  I was her primary caregiver for the final 2 years, as she wasn't ambulatory for that time, and with the help of home care nursing once a day, I was able to see to all her needs, though every day was a struggle in some way.   The last 2 months were extremely difficult as her mind began slipping, and she lost nearly all her motor functions.  I don't regret keeping her at home though, they just warehouse seniors like her in homes here in Canada, and it would have been awful for her as she had eye issues where bright light was hell for her, and they demanded lights on in the homes, plus being in a room with 2 or 3 other dying women.  Since she's passed though, it's been difficult to find purpose in my life, for the first 2 months I literally just stared at the walls as I went from answering my mom's alarm every 5 to 10 minutes, constantly cleaning, feeding, shopping, dealing with doctors and pharmacies, to nothing overnight - it was more than a full time job.  Going from that to having no responsibilities other than for myself, it's been a real shock to the system in every respect, physically, emotionally, all of it.

I've been writing short stories for the last few months, I submitted one to a friend that works in the KDP Kindle self publishing program, and she circulated it around to some friends and I've been encouraged by the response.  I've also been able to focus a bit more on my own health, but fortunately I've been in a holding pattern in that regard with no major changes, the last chemo round I did in 2014 and have been fortunate since then.

I've set up a schedule that's been working well for me, I wake up at 6am every day, meditate and read positive material for an hour, thank the universe for all I still have, and get in some cardio.  I bought a new bicycle, it has a 1000w electric system as well, so that if I punk out on rides, I can zip home on electric power at 32km/hr, which eliminates the fear of getting out there and having my old and battered body fail on me and being "stuck".  No longer.  It's made a really big difference, hopefully with the light weight training I've incorporated some day I'll be able to get back at least some of the strength and flexibility I had while power lifting and body building in the 2000s. 

Lastly, I've made it a goal to be kind and caring to every person I meet and come into contact with, both online and in person.  Volunteering has helped with this immeasurably.  As I said, I'm going to visit the UK again in the summer, it'll be the first time I've traveled outside of Western Canada since 2010, having traveled so much in the past, I've truly missed that part of my life, and look forward to this summer most of all.

7 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

Theda - my last name is Cornish, I too have studied the language and history, and will be visiting relatives in the area there in the UK this summer (I live in Western Canada now).  I volunteer and sit on the board of a museum here as well, the Western Development Museum, which has many airplanes, trains, cars, motorcycles of all description and more, it's very interesting.  I've been on disability for 8 years now, and it's helping pass the time.  Anyway, very interesting that you're studying the Cornish language as part of your Masters program. 

That's cool! My name is very Welsh but I was born and grew up in Cornwall, moved to Wales for a few years and have been back living in Cornwall for a couple of years now. Which area are you visiting?  

I have very conflicting emotions about Cornwall - on one hand it is a beautiful county with a wealth of history and folklore and it absolutely isn't taken seriously in that regard and Cornish people are often mocked for caring about being Cornish. Cornish is a leglly recognised minority now and you can tick Cornish on identity forms but it's still mocked. 

On the other hand...there are hardly any opportunities for me here, second homes are a HUGE problem, there are big poverty problems here so in some ways I cant wait to get out. 

But as I'm still here for the forseable I'm going to make the most of finishng up my driving lessons,  getting a couple more museum projects under my belt and going to some language classes.

The classes themselves aren't part of my masters degree and are at a local arts centre but because my Masters subject is "Celtic Studies" I expect having a better grasp of Cornish will help immensley - especially as I'd like to write my final year dissertation on the similarities of Wales and Cornwall. 

Ive been volunteering for the Royal Cornwall Museum, the county museum, for over two years now. I really do love it though I'm ready to stretch my wings now. Maybe I'm just going to have to finish my Masters before I can do just that after all. 

I really hope you have a lovely time in Cornwall - for all my complaints - I really do love it and am happy and proud to be from there.

I'm so sorry for your loss x 

• 5 months later...

Called an ambulance for my father last night.

Hospital said there's nothing more they can do. He's dying.

Congestive heart failure and stage 4 kidney disease. He's 90 years old.

They're making arrangements to bring him home with nurse care every day for his final days.

I didn't know where to put this or if I should put it here...I'm just all out of sorts.

44 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

They're making arrangements to bring him home with nurse care every day for his final days.

I didn't know where to put this or if I should put it here...I'm just all out of sorts.

I’m so sorry :( of course you can put it here. Sending you and your family best thoughts x

1 hour ago, drawkcabi said:

Very sorry to hear. That's truly awful.

1 hour ago, drawkcabi said:

I'm very sorry to hear this.  And here is a fine place.  I hope your father passes over easily.  I know you are already feeling loss.  *hugs*

3 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

:grouphug:  I really don't know what else to say besides stay strong.

6 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

May your father heal well and quickly.  You never know.

Now instead of coming together it seems all many in my family wants to do is bear grudges and hurt one another. Bad assumptions made and false accusations based on them.

Instead of supporting one another there are people who just want to tear down and hurt.

Why does it have to be this way?

3 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Now instead of coming together it seems all many in my family wants to do is bear grudges and hurt one another. Bad assumptions made and false accusations based on them.

Instead of supporting one another there are people who just want to tear down and hurt.

When people are hurting they frequently lash out.  It is sad but true.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, drawkcabi said:

I hear ya', kid.  I'm experiencing some similar stuff too.  My father passed away in May and my younger brother has terminal cancer with days/weeks? to live.   The stress has made one of my sisters take out her grief on me.  I understand it, but it doesn't make it easier to bear.  I'm still recovering from a severely broken ankle, and now I've gotta get an MRI on my knee for a possible tear in my meniscus.  Who knows how THAT happened, whether it was in the same incident or what. 

Anyway, between the pain from the physical injuries and the emotional and mental pain/exhaustion, I feel like I've been pulled through the wringer. 

Plantar fasciitis can be super painful, for sure.  I had it at one time, so I know it well.  It does go away, but it takes its good ol' time doing it. 

Hang in there.  I'll send supportive thoughts and good wishes your way.

@Tears of Lys

Don Rickles once said of Frank Sinatra when asked how Frank was doing "He's got Sicilian Alzheimer's. He only remembers the grudges."

My mom loves that joke because it's so true.

Dad took a turn for the worse over the weekend. They transferred him from the hospital to a hospice that specializes in care during final days. My mom is staying there with him until he goes. I'm going to see him today.

I'm sorry about your father and brother :grouphug:

Also sorry about your ankle and knee :( Hope they feel better soon.

The plantar fasciitis along with my swlolen feet and legs, arthritic knees and other joints, and general over stressed body due to my being obese is definitely taking its toll. To (most likely) make all that feel at least somewhat better I know what I need to do and I know it's my responsibility to do so, but in the meanwhile it's very painful just moving around and the thing that most helps me forget all the pain and ease my mood is the thing that's keeping me fat.

4 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

@Tears of Lys

Don Rickles once said of Frank Sinatra when asked how Frank was doing "He's got Sicilian Alzheimer's. He only remembers the grudges."

My mom loves that joke because it's so true.

Dad took a turn for the worse over the weekend. They transferred him from the hospital to a hospice that specializes in care during final days. My mom is staying there with him until he goes. I'm going to see him today.

I'm sorry about your father and brother :grouphug:

Also sorry about your ankle and knee :( Hope they feel better soon.

The plantar fasciitis along with my swlolen feet and legs, arthritic knees and other joints, and general over stressed body due to my being obese is definitely taking its toll. To (most likely) make all that feel at least somewhat better I know what I need to do and I know it's my responsibility to do so, but in the meanwhile it's very painful just moving around and the thing that most helps me forget all the pain and ease my mood is the thing that's keeping me fat.

God be with you and your family during this incredibly difficult time.  I wish all of you peace.  

Archived