US Politics: Free Trade, Freer Trade, and Nuclear War

Fragile Bird

8 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Holy shit.

Right now they are saying it has nothing to do with the Russia investigation, but Mueller has referred it to the Southern District of NYC prosecutor's office. Probably election finance scandal, the payment to Stormy Daniels?

Next thread title: More Stormy Weather!

eta: Probably outside of Mueller's scope?

39 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Yes, and then Putin...

I suppose there would be some ironic justice in mankind going out on a dick-measuring contest of doom.

It reminds me of the George Carlin rift on American foreign policy.

“Wait a minute, theirs are bigger than ours? Bomb them!”

19 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Right now they are saying it has nothing to do with the Russia investigation, but Mueller has referred it to the Southern District of NYC prosecutor's office. Probably election finance scandal, the payment to Stormy Daniels?

eta: Probably outside of Mueller's scope?

A source tells the NY Times yes, to the Stormy Daniels payments being a part of the records being looked for -- but only one of the matters --  by the raid:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/09/us/politics/fbi-raids-office-of-trumps-longtime-lawyer-michael-cohen.html?

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

A source tells the NY Times yes, to the Stormy Daniels payments being a part of the records being looked for -- but only one of the matters --  by the raid:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/09/us/politics/fbi-raids-office-of-trumps-longtime-lawyer-michael-cohen.html?

If Mueller gets something on Cohen, is there any chance he'd flip?  The guy has made his career with Trump, I have no doubt he knows a ton of illegal stuff Trump is involved in.  This article on CNN said this about him: 

{Cohen} may have missed out on a White House job exactly because of his past success serving his boss, according to D'Antonio, the Trump biographer said.
"He was such a good fixer for Donald Trump the business mogul that he couldn't serve him in the White House," he said. Cohen "not only knows where all the bodies are buried he buried a lot of them himself. And that ironically disqualified him."

Yeah, that's not the kind of guy you want Mueller turning the screws on. 

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

If Mueller gets something on Cohen, is there any chance he'd flip?  The guy has made his career with Trump, I have no doubt he knows a ton of illegal stuff Trump is involved in.  This article on CNN said this about him: 

Depends what other masters Cohen serves. He's got a lot of side businesses besides being a dimwitted attack dog for a crooked real estate developer. Manafort and Van der Zwan are refusing to cooperate with Mueller, probably because they fear the Russian oligarchs they're on bed with, more than they fear the federal justice system. I'd guess Cohen has similarly lethal skeletons in his closet.

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

As expected, FL Gov. Rick Scott is running for Senate against Bill Nelson (D).

Scott is a decidedly pro-Trump politician, and has a reputation as a strong campaigner and a skilled politician.  Trump has made explicitly clear he'll do what he can to boost Scott by exempting Florida from offshore Drilling.  But Scott's two previous statewide elections in 2010 and 2014 were in a decidedly pro-GOP mood.  Nonetheless, this is a big recruitment win for the GOP.  Scott has a chance here, he has great name recognition and a huge bankroll. 

If Scott can unseat Nelson, there's more or less no path to the Senate for Democrats.  So that's just one more seat to worry about, and in a very expensive state no less. 

I'm actually less worried about Nelson than some of the other vulnerable senate Democrats; I think Manchin, Donnelly, McCaskill, and Heitkamp are all in worse shape (jeez the senate map is brutal). Rick Scott only managed to win by 1% in two wave GOP years, whereas Nelson has won five straight state-wide elections by much larger margins. And both have been fixtures of Florida politics for a long time, so I think voters' opinions of them are pretty much baked in; with Nelson being the more popular one.

Nelson is by no means safe, but I think he's the favorite here. 

1 minute ago, Fez said:

I'm actually less worried about Nelson than some of the other vulnerable senate Democrats; I think Manchin, Donnelly, McCaskill, and Heitkamp are all in worse shape (jeez the senate map is brutal). Rick Scott only managed to win by 1% in two wave GOP years, whereas Nelson has won five straight state-wide elections by much larger margins. And both have been fixtures of Florida politics for a long time, so I think voters' opinions of them are pretty much baked in; with Nelson being the more popular one.

Nelson is by no means safe, but I think he's the favorite here. 

I would agree that Manchin, Donnelly, McCaskill and Heitkamp are indeed all in tougher spots.  But Scott is formidible and has a ton of money, which will make things tough in a state as expensive as Florida. 

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:22 PM, Fragile Bird said:

Just scrolling through Facebook while I’m out. One day I will learn how to link articles.  :rolleyes:

Paul Manafort apparently ran black ops for the Ukrainian President he worked for.

And.

In his first public comment about Stormy Daniels, Trump says he did not know about the $130,000 payment made to her. I assume that in the US this screws his lawyer pretty badly, because lawyers aren’t suppose to do things like that without the consent of the client, not in their name like Cohen did.

Please note I said this a couple of days ago! That may have meant the final button was pushed to raid Cohen's office.

And Trump got a head's up that it was going to happen. Probably so that he wouldn't have an apoplectic fit.

26 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Isn’t it a crime, as a lawyer, to cover up the illegal activities of your client? If so, Cohen is totally screwed and my best guess is that he’d flip. Few people know how willing Trump is to stab someone in the back better than Cohen, so I see no reason why he’d fall on his sword for the man. Wasn’t it reported that he was complaining that Trump never paid him back for the Stormy deal?  

7 hours ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Medication tends to cost money to produce. If your  getting for cheap in Canada, it's coming out of someone else pocket is it not?

Insulin was discovered in Canada and not patented so that it could save as many lives as possible. With no ability to corner the market, prices will sink to a low level. Besides Canada is a nice place too with no orange buffoon messing up stuff. 

The BBC reporting that the United States has requested both France and the UK commit military forces to a major strike on Syria to come within 48 hours.

Well, this is fun.

16 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

It's a crime, period. 

Doesn't it depend on what's being covered, or at the very least, what's being ignored? Anyways, it's my understanding that lawyers are held to higher standards than the average person when it comes to reporting crimes. That's what I was trying to get at. If Mueller has the goods on Cohen hiding and covering up illegal activities, wouldn't that mean he'd get a more severe charge, thus making it more likely that he'd roll on Trump? 

3 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The BBC reporting that the United States has requested both France and the UK commit military forces to a major strike on Syria to come within 48 hours.

Well, this is fun.

Coalition of the willing time. What could go wrong, bombing areas where Russian troops are stationed? 

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

For the love of everything remotely humorous, please do not do this.

Not picking on you FB but can we just drop the Stormy or Russia based thread title puns altogether?  We've had like 3 different From Russia with Love titled ones.  

If you want to title a thread think on it for like 15 minutes first and ask yourself 'is this something that like 80%of the board would come up with if attempting the same exercise?' 

If so don't do it. At least wait a bit so we have two or three to pick from to minimize the chance of another lame almost-repeat thread title.   

But you know some things just keep movin' movin' movin' keep them doggies movin' RAWHIDE! 

-- nor can we get away from Russia, with love or without, or from stormy weathers.   (Not to mention Saudi.) :cheers:

Ye gods and leetle fishies, do I hate packing my luggage!

per recent polling, old white folks have swung twelve points in their support, away from republicans, toward democrats. Many cite the tax scam and healthcare as to why. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-healthcare-poll/exclusive-as-elections-near-many-older-educated-white-voters-shift-away-from-trumps-party-idUSKBN1HG1I6

near the end of the article is a mention that democrats are rolling out national campaigns to alert people to the republicans attempts to use the tax scam's trillion dollar deficits as a mandate to cut social security and medicare.

Archived