Why people hate Dany, but love Arya?

Lady Winter Rose

Just because one is feminine smart ruler, and another is adventurous tomboy assassin, doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading both of them. But to be honest, Dany is more realistic than Arya. There are RL princesses, no matter how much some readers hated idea of princesses in the novel, while Arya is stereotypical rogue of any fantasy novel/game.

9 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

What was so smart about Daenerys's ruling? 

Yes, Dance Dany is really bad person and lousy ruler, but before fifth book, Dany was rocking. She did conquered three city and trickery counts.

Maybe ruling a city isn't novel material.

28 minutes ago, Lady Winter Rose said:

Just because one is feminine smart ruler, and another is adventurous tomboy assassin, doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading both of them. But to be honest, Dany is more realistic than Arya. There are RL princesses, no matter how much some readers hated idea of princesses in the novel, while Arya is stereotypical rogue of any fantasy novel/game.

I consider Arya as more of a damaged child survivor of war that any kind of rogue, myself.  I don't think she is going to be an assassin, either.  Not sure what her story is, but it seems clear that isn't it.

I'm not a big fan of Dany myself, but that's mostly because her story is so separated from the rest.

Seriously? I love them both. Also, what Kandrax said.

Strange as it may be, here in the 21st century there are still some who don't like powerful women, or tomboyish women, or women who use violence against men. I thought we'd all worked through that in the 1970s. And the 1920s. And the 1820s ... Hmm.

Not sure why the generalisation "people love X and hate Y". I think some characters are very polarising, and both Arya and Dany definitely are. So we get a lot of readers who feel very strongly about them. But many will also love Dany and hate Arya, others will hate both, and others will love both. 

Actually, I love Dany and hate Arya.  It's all according to who you like.  

I have also noticed that Jon-haters like me also hate Arya.  

I expect this is all by design and according to George Martin's intents.  He wants his characters to generate strong feelings in the readers.  

Why do people feel the need to strip female characters of all nuance, force them into caricatures of themselves and pit them in a deathmatch from which only one true likeable woman can emerge?

At least Arya vs Dany makes a nice change to Arya vs Sansa, I guess.

3 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

Why do people feel the need to strip female characters of all nuance, force them into caricatures of themselves and pit them in a deathmatch from which only one true likeable woman can emerge?

This.

Dany is extremely motivated, good (not great) at analyzing situates around her (self awareness), and thinks she tries to be fair when possible (we know from her 1st meeting with hizdahr that she didn’t seem to EVER vet anyone properly.... literally anyone it seems she knows too little of their past/lives Pre-Dany 

I’ll end on a positive note as these 2 ladies are wonderful reads all the way. I said she knew too little info but a counter is in text as she’s been shown to have an aptitude for what others intentions/price may be or require. So maybe I’m wrong just bc she didn’t vet shaveoate I guess we’ll see post-barristan battle how loyal he is (he claims full fealty to Dany but it was possibly political and not the biggest risk ever basically they’d be renegades but that places Shavepate very close to the monarch, she knows diddly (which may not be such a bad thing) About her idiot looking Daario toy who’s pillow talking I’ve found is WAY WAY TMI for any ole sellsword (albeit a general/captain by proxy) whom she also well... affairs with, should ever hear or know 

Hizdahr? We know Shavepate isn’t a fan of hizdahrs family or the pahl? Paul? Either way it was a serious “blessing” service (inspection of Dany) arraigned  mess that just so happened to reduce harpy crime coincidentally. 

Missandie I believe 100%

Doesmt converse with her people as much as you’d think either. Just some random thoughts.

NOW FOR THE BEST PART

Arya is the most self aware character of all by age and is also a great (not good) decision maker and reasoning. Call her a psychopath.... just read the definition of the word 1st. Can she please like have 1 chance to show if she truly has the love of family/PEOPLE OF ALL WALKS OF LIFE?

She got a dealt shit hand and used her last chip from Jaqen. That doesn’t mean she is so far gone yet. All I’m saying is let’s see if she still lets Jon muss her hair smiling, or if Sansa and Arya cry together....

Believe it or not I’m a huge fan of Arya (lol obviously) but I’ll go ahead and say right now that 

Spoiler

Her Mercy chapter is amazingly well written and fits almost all of the psychopathic  recognized tendencies. GRRM was brilliant in one of his best chapters and I love the “best be back to the play soon” thing. Genius man

10 hours ago, Lady Winter Rose said:

Just because one is feminine smart ruler, and another is adventurous tomboy assassin, doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading both of them. 

While I wouldn't call her a smart ruler, I do think Dany's femininity/beauty strikes a nerve in the very misogynistic arm of nerd culture. 

10 hours ago, Lady Winter Rose said:

But to be honest, Dany is more realistic than Arya. 

So, a 14 year old girl accidentally performing fire/blood magic ritual that invokes a spell that allows petrified dragon eggs to hatch is somehow more realistic than a 10 year old homeless child of wealth and prestige that becomes a murderer? 

I disliked them equally and only started to mildly hate Danaerys after she has passed the Westerosi equivelant of a paternity test for Targaryens, or in other words, "Burn them all!"

Also while I dislike Arya, she is easier to emphatize with, especially after Ned becomes not a but two heads shorter than Brandon the Barren.

13 hours ago, Kandrax said:

Yet none calls Robb war criminal for scourching Westernlands

Tbf I can barely glance at this forum these days without seeing someone slating Robb, including for this reason.

12 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I think some characters are very polarising, and both Arya and Dany definitely are. So we get a lot of readers who feel very strongly about them. But many will also love Dany and hate Arya, others will hate both, and others will love both. 

Exactly. Both Dany and Arya are constantly debated on here. 

Something to do with Dany being feminine AND occupying traditional male roles. It's easier for people to accept a masculine female character doing that than a feminine one, which is why we get so many action flicks with emotionless (and dull) female leads.

11 minutes ago, cyberdirectorfreedom said:

That one time she crucified 163 people for crimes they didn't commit springs to mind.

Is this really what the board has devolved into?

18 minutes ago, cyberdirectorfreedom said:

That one time she crucified 163 people for crimes they didn't commit springs to mind.

Weren't they crucified for being slavers, and in revenge for the crucifixion of children? Not making a moral judgement either way, but saying it's for crimes they did not commit is a bit of a stretch.

That being said, it did reveal the Targ in her. Dany thinks as much in her POV, that it made her feel like a vengeful dragon. 

Archived