Just a quick little observation. I'm not sure whether to post this in the puns & wordplay thread, the color analysis of the rainbow guard thread, or the Dissecting Names thread. But it's a phrase from The Hedge Knight so this is as good a place as any. He had piled the old man's things under an oak. The cloth purse contained three silver stags, nineteen copper pennies, and a chipped garnet. Why did Ser Arlan of Pennytree carry a chipped garnet in his purse? I realize we could come up with an explanation - he found it on the ground, it broke off a pin he has in his bag (although Dunk's inventory mentions no pin), he won it gambling (Dunk doesn't mention that Ser Arlan was a gambler, and it seems out of character). What I'm looking for is a literary rationale. When a relatively poor man has only a paragraph's worth of possessions, it seems significant that GRRM would mention this item as one of his few belongings. An explanation for the garnet may have presented itself as a side effect of something else I have been trying to figure out. As I have pondered the rainbow symbolism and the meaning of each color, orange has proven to be a more complex puzzle than some of the other colors. My tentative conclusion is that red and yellow must combine in the right way to create orange. (I expect we will see something similar for blue and purple creating indigo but, so far in the books, the emphasis has been on the "fire colors.") As a secondary color, orange is something of a higher order, more elusive color than the primary colors. (This is largely theory, I admit.) So I've been looking at sigils with orange (Peake and Hornwood and Ashford) and looking for oranges in wordplay. For instance, the orange background of the Hornwood sigil caused me to examine the House words: Righteous in Wrath. "Orange with rust hi" is one possible anagram outcome. If this is a hint, the "hi" appears to be a leftover byproduct of getting the motto to make some sense. Rust is frequently mentioned in connection with armor, however, so now I'll pay closer attention to the rust references, to see what rust can tell us about orange and its possible deeper meaning. Why did I make the leap from the chipped garnet to the color orange? Because: Aegon Targaryen = Orange Garnet Ay The dictionary says "ay" is an interjection meaning alas or alack or woe. Of course, I just see it as further confirmation of the all-important eye - Ei - Eisen chain of puns. Here's my guess about one way the orange and garnet come together: Dunk & Egg are destined to be a team. They complete each other. Dunk comes into possession of a garnet and brings it into the partnership. Aegon has entree to House Ashford, with its orange sigil. Similarly, we see Bran & Hodor, Joffrey & The Hound, and the two heads of Maelys the Monstrous working as a boy/man team or, at least, as two heads coming together as one. Maybe Tyrion and Bronn also count as a pair. But are there other ways to create this kind of "royal" power team? There may be a pun on "garnet" and "argent." The latter word means "silver" or "white" and is used to describe those colors when used in heraldry. So the orange and white sigil of House Ashford might take on new meaning as a billboard expressing "Aegon Targaryen" through the use of orange + argent colors. This may add to our understanding of why Lord Commander Mormont chose garnets for the eyes of the direwolf pommel he commissioned for the sword Long Claw: The pommel was a hunk of pale stone weighted with lead to balance the long blade. It had been carved into the likeness of a snarling wolf's head, with chips of garnet set into the eyes. (AGoT, Jon VIII) With the presentation of the sword Long Claw, Jon has the "garnet ay (eye)" part of the equation. It is interesting to note that Sam obtained the garnets for the pommel in Molestown. Perhaps garnets have to be carried by true knights like Ser Arlan, Dunk and the Slayer. Edit: Also, Molestown is an anagram of both "lost women" and "two lemons." Members of the Night's Watch refer to brothel visits in Molestown as "digging for treasure," which is exactly what Jon does when he discovers the cache at the Fist. Speaking of which . . . Now that the garnets are in hand, how will Jon obtain the orange, if he is to fully realize a destiny related to Aegon Targaryen? Jon picked up a dagger blade, featherlight and shiny back, hiltless. Torchlight ran along its edge, a thin orange line that spoke of razor sharpness. Dragonglass. (ACoK, Jon IV) Blood orange. Orange garnet. Garnet eye. White and orange. Look for these combinations if you want to find a king or queen in the making. (Or an aspirational king or queen.) I'm also going to look for evidence of these central characters assembling rainbows - they may need more than an orange and a garnet to fully realize their ambitions or destinies. Edit: If you can stand a similar anagram: Maelys the Monstrous = Amethyst Sour Lemons Of course, you could also construct some interesting possibilities around "motley short man ..." or "rusty helmet ... " or simply "author's lemon system." But I think it's significant to see the fruit + gem combination, especially if the orange / garnet combination is correct. Both Sansa and Dany have associations with amethysts or violet eyes and with lemon cakes or lemon trees. In other stories, GRRM has used a gem as a significant focal point for action, and we know that he has created a Gemstone Emperors ancient back story for the history of the ASOIAF series. His mad king Aerys instructed the alchemists to make wildfire grenades in the shapes of fruit. Something seems to be going on with this symbolism.