A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms Reread

Seams

• 10 months later...

Just throwing a bone in here to try to keep this thread from shutting down. I always intend to come back and finish this analysis. Maybe the new series will motivate me.

Here is a small related nugget that is, perhaps, worth linking here. @Sandy Clegg started a new discussion of Quentyn Martell. As mentioned long ago in this thread, I think the character is a parallel for Glendon Flowers and Quentyn Ball. So here's what I contributed to that Quentyn discussion.

The entire thread has new, good insights linking Quentyn Martell to other characters in ASOIAF. Worth a look.

On 9/16/2022 at 10:08 AM, TheLastWolf said:

Apart from Dunk's relationships prior to the white, the most that interests me is if he ever learnt to read and if he kills Bennis (subtle pun) Brownstench. And I loved the additional connect to Brienne, one of his descendants, not the shield but Inchfields.

I had never thought to question whether Dunk will learn to read. This is an excellent point. There are parallels between Dunk and Davos Seaworth. It's possible that Dunk will be transformed to become literate, similar to the change undergone by Ser Davos.

On the other hand, I think we will never see Dunk knighted. Like the Hound and Brienne, this is just not part of his arc. 

I'm registering your comment nearly a year later, but if you see this, I would love to understand your reference to the inchfields. I think Lucas Longinch is a symbolic father for Dunk, so the idea of an Inchfield family line is intriguing.

There is also wordplay on "chin" and "inch" in the story of Ser Duncan the Tall. 

2 hours ago, Seams said:

I had never thought to question whether Dunk will learn to read. This is an excellent point. There are parallels between Dunk and Davos Seaworth. It's possible that Dunk will be transformed to become literate, similar to the change undergone by Ser Davos

Especially in the context of his White Book entry

2 hours ago, Seams said:

On the other hand, I think we will never see Dunk knighted. Like the Hound and Brienne, this is just not part of his arc. 

:agree:

2 hours ago, Seams said:

I'm registering your comment nearly a year later, but if you see this, I would love to understand your reference to the inchfields. I think Lucas Longinch is a symbolic father for Dunk, so the idea of an Inchfield family line is intriguing.

There is also wordplay on "chin" and "inch" in the story of Ser Duncan the Tall. 

Tbh I forgot myself lol. But seeing as how I left it at that, a quick eyeballing would suffice. I'll look into it and get back.

1 hour ago, TheLastWolf said:

Tbh I forgot myself lol. But seeing as how I left it at that, a quick eyeballing would suffice. I'll look into it and get back.

4 hours ago, Seams said:

I'm registering your comment nearly a year later, but if you see this, I would love to understand your reference to the inchfields

Ha, yes. It was Owen Inchfield who kissed Brienne by force trying to win the deflowering wager. Kicked back into the campfire IIRC. Brienne being Dunk's descendant and all...

Longinch died in the water btw