Who are you to Facebook? And did you get a letter from FB?

Fragile Bird

I have been reading about the ad identifiers Facebooks has on users, and some people are grrrrr-ing on labels like "liberal" or "conservative", I really didn't want to know. But a number of people have posted about what they found, so I went and looked.

Disappointingly (?) my ad factors are about the month of my birth, the three ways I log onto Facebook, and one shocker.

I am an American expat. And a friend of Expats.

That'll teach me. Something.  :lol:

Go look on your Facebook page: Settings, then ads, then About You and Your Categories.

eta:  might as well ask if you got notice about Cambridge Analytica.

Facebook has me pegged as "Very Liberal" but aside from that their information about me is extremely general and not ver useful. It seems my refusal to click their links and ads or login to various places with Facebook has made me something of an enigma to them.

Good. :cool4:

16 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Facebook has me pegged as "Very Liberal" but aside from that their information about me is extremely general and not ver useful. It seems my refusal to click their links and ads or login to various places with Facebook has made me something of an enigma to them.

Good. :cool4:

I'm about the same -- "Very Liberal" as well. The only other "real" information is that I'm away from my hometown. 

It took me several minutes to find this, but when I did it has me pegged as "Very Liberal", which I think is a slight exaggeration, says I'm a "frequent traveler" (also an exaggeration) and, most amazingly, says "Multicultural Affinity: African American (US)". I am not African-American and do not access any interests on Facebook that I think would be Black-identified (such as sites for the NAACP, historically Black colleges, predominantly African-American churches, sites about sports or music that might be considered more popular with Blacks, etc.) so I would guess the only reason they think I am African-American is because my first name is probably more common about Blacks than Whites. 

It mostly just describes the ways how I access FB. It also knows I am a friend of expats and a frequent traveller ... the one thing that stands out is that I am apparently a friend of people who love football, whish is just a really random information. :lol: I cannot think of who it might be, and I am certainly not somebody for whom football-related ads are going to be relevant.

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

It knows what month my birthday is in and what type of phone I have, that’s about it.

In fairness I don’t use Facebook in ways that’d be particularly useful for advertisers very often.

Doesn't necessarily matter.  If it's on your phone it worms it's way into all sorts of other shit on your phone.  Just by having it on there.

I have no idea what I am on FB, because I never have had an account.  Yet an account has been made in my name.  Which of course I cannot see since I don't have an FB account.  That's how sick, effed up, toxic, dangerous and eviLe FB is.

16 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I have no idea what I am on FB, because I never have had an account.  Yet an account has been made in my name.  Which of course I cannot see since I don't have an FB account.  That's how sick, effed up, toxic, dangerous and eviLe FB is.

Can I ask how you know that account is referring to you and not just to someone that has the same name that you do if you can't see it? Can you see other identifying information that fits you? 

40 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Can I ask how you know that account is referring to you and not just to someone that has the same name that you do if you can't see it? Can you see other identifying information that fits you? 

Because the friend who created it for me told me so.  So I keep getting notifications about people I should be friending since we are in the same circles.  Which we are, to a degree, more but often less, and less and less and less.  These come to an e-mail account that I don't use for anything any longer -- especially because of this.

ETA: I requested over and over and over to have this account deleted since I didn't want it, never wanted it, etc.  I never got a single response from FB on this.

Archived