Who are you to Facebook? And did you get a letter from FB?

Fragile Bird

9 minutes ago, Hereward said:

This is getting worse and worse. For the record, I have no criminal record and I’ve never cheated at cricket.

I've always wanted to try and play cricket, but ultimately I decided to play the superior game that is baseball. 

Mine has me as liberal, veteran, away from family, away from hometown, and more boring stuff. All pretty accurate, really. But almost all of my ads are for dating apps and most of my suggested content is geared at "30 year old women" type headlines so I think my more obvious demographic data is driving what I see.

On 4/10/2018 at 3:59 AM, Theda Baratheon said:

facebook just tries to get me to buy cute slightly gothic dresses all the time tbh 

Same here!

And ever since I began liking my friends wedding pages a while ago I keep getting bridesmaid dress ads. To which I say, "No I wasn't asked, Facebook, thanks for rubbing it in." :P

17 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Anyone else not at all worried about this?

What I am mostly worried about is acquaintances who have this sort of attitude.

They say (with only a little exaggeration):

"Why shouldn't I post your name, your address and phone number, your date of birth, your Mother's maiden name, photographs of you, etc, etc on Facebook or anywhere else I want? Unless you can give me a simple reason that I accept then I will go ahead and do just that."

OK, I couldn't find the area where you can see these, per Fragile Bird's instructions. But when I went to adds, 2 categories picked my interest:

"Advertisers Whose Ads You Clicked" and "Advertisers who uploaded a contact list with your info", and boy is the latter a long list. 

Also, for whatever reason, getting into this area requires several tries, as my phone kept running into errors. hmm... 

49 minutes ago, A wilding said:

"Why shouldn't I post your name, your address and phone number, your date of birth, your Mother's maiden name, photographs of you, etc, etc on Facebook or anywhere else I want? Unless you can give me a simple reason that I accept then I will go ahead and do just that."

Ahhh well they sound like assholes.

1 hour ago, A wilding said:

We'll, in about 6 weeks, that'll be illegal in Europe at least.

I deactivated my FB account.  It had gotten too creepy for me, honestly.  I miss my Westeros peeps and some other folks, but it's actually a nice feeling not having the pull of the screen.  I wasted too much time on there, and it's time I just don't have these days.

I'm going to try and get on here more just to see what you guys are doing.  Y'all are pretty fascinating.  :)

Archived