Do Brides change their surname in Westeros?

The South Forgets

Do highborn brides take on the house name of their husband in Westeros? We see Catelyn and Lysa being alternatively being referred as Tully and Stark/Arryn, Elia Martell, Margaery Tyrell, and Cersei Lannister retaining their maiden names, and Barbrey Ryswell  and Alerie Hightower being known as Dustin and Tyrell respectively

Depends on the bride, her House, her husband, and his House. There's no single rule that must be followed in every situation... each situation is different. I think the usual course is for the bride to adopt her husband's name, but it doesn't happen 100% of the time. GRRM says this...

Maege Mormont is called Mormont because no one knows her husband's name, or even if she has one. There is all the talk that she beds with a bear. She prefers to keep her own counsel. Most of the ladies of Westeros do change their names when they wed, although usage varies. If the wife's family is significantly higher born than the husband's, she may use his name little, if at all.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/SF_Targaryens_Valyria_Sansa_Martells_and_More

I always got the idea that the wife of a ruler (lord, landed knight ect.) got the right to use the family name, like Catelyn is lady Stark. Any future wife of Robb would be lady Stark as soon he became lord of Winterfell but any wife of Bran would retain her maidenname. 

Queens are a bit off here though, they seem to not be called Targaryen or Baratheon.

4 minutes ago, Deepbollywood Motte said:

I always got the idea that the wife of a ruler (lord, landed knight ect.) got the right to use the family name, like Catelyn is lady Stark. Any future wife of Robb would be lady Stark as soon he became lord of Winterfell but any wife of Bran would retain her maidenname. 

Queens are a bit off here though, they seem to not be called Targaryen or Baratheon.

I think that has to do with being born into the royal family; most queens were born Targaryens, but the women who married a Targaryen, like Alicent Hightower and Aemma Arryn, retained their maidenname because they did not have the right to have their royal husband's last name.

As for the thing you said before the bolded part, there is no evidence whatsoever that the wives of a lord's younger brothers do not have the right to their husband's last name.

24 minutes ago, Deepbollywood Motte said:

In real world, that's often the case as well. I seriously can't think of a single queen consort that is known (OK, known to me) by her royal husband's family name. If she has anything resembling a surname, then it's after her own house/country/compatible. Anne of Austria. Catherine of Aragon. Anne Boleyn. Marie de Medici. Etc.

I think they do whichever lends more power to the family. Cersei remaining Lannister reminds everyone that it’s not just Robert that they have to contend with, but Tywin as well. On the flip side, the Tullys didn’t really add much to the Starks in peacetime except maybe make them seem fractured, but notice once war starts with the Lannisters, Catelyn begins to take on Tully again as it's now more significant than before.

In a royal match it might also be in the interest of the bride's family to have her continue to use the name, in order to let everyone know that they are now associated with the crown by marriage, or have so in the past.

In our past it also had to do with historical identification, Kings (and Queens regnant) of the same name are distinguished by the numbering "Henry I", "Henry II", "Henry III"/"Elizabet I" "Elizabeth II" etc.
Queen consorts don't get that numbering so their last names and/or places of origin are kept in the record to distinguish them, like "Anne Boleyn" and "Anne of Cleves" or "Catherine of Aragon", "Catherine Howard" and "Catherine Parr"

Archived