Beware the perfumed seneschal

fire&blood

A wild crackpot appears!

Baelor Brightsmile is the heir of lord Leyton Hightower and he prepares some of the defenses against Ironborn (oversees fleet building), so he could be seen as he is acting as his father's seneschal. To some, Baelor is known as Baelor Breakwind.

So Baelor Breakwind is a "perfumed" senechal.

The key to figuring this out is, of course, the conversation between Tyrion and Moqorro while on the Selaesori Qhoran.

Tell me, was Selaesori Qhoran a triarch or a turtle?”

The red priest chuckled. “Neither. Qhoran is … not a ruler, but one who serves and counsels such, and helps conduct his business. You of Westeros might say steward or magister.”

So we know steward, seneschal, and magister are different words for the same occupation. This still leaves a lot of possibilities though.

The other clue is perfumed. How many perfumed seneschals, magisters, or stewards does the reader know AND that Dany needs to beware of.

By my count there are two.

The obvious answer is Reznak. We know he is a seneschal. We know he wears perfume. 

Reznak and Skahaz waited atop the marble steps. "Great queen," declared Reznak mo Reznak, "you are so radiant today I fear to look on you." The seneschal wore a tokar of maroon silk with a golden fringe. A small, damp man, he smelled as if he had bathed in perfume and spoke a bastard form of High Valyrian, much corrupted and flavored with a thick Ghiscari growl.

Dany believes she should beware of him. It could be Reznak.

The other candidate is Illyrio. He is, of course, a magister of Pentos. Waaaaay back in GoT we got this from Dany.

It was warm and close inside behind the curtains. Dany could smell the stench of Illyrio's pallid flesh through his heavy perfumes.

Dany had no agents, no way of knowing what anyone was doing or thinking across the narrow sea, but she mistrusted Illyrio’s sweet words as she mistrusted everything about Illyrio. Her brother was nodding eagerly, however. “I shall kill the Usurper myself,” he promised, who had never killed anyone, “as he killed my brother Rhaegar. And Lannister too, the Kingslayer, for what he did to my father.”

“That would be most fitting,” Magister Illyrio said. Dany saw the smallest hint of a smile playing around his full lips, but her brother did not notice. Nodding, he pushed back a curtain and stared off into the night, and Dany knew he was fighting the Battle of the Trident once again.

We know Illyrio wears perfume. We know it is to cover up the stench of his flesh. This may be symbolic of trying to hide something (someone?).

Dany clearly had some mistrust of the magister, even though he helped her. This mistrust is well deserved. 

I believe the Perfumed Seneschal is Illyrio. However, I would not eliminate Reznak as a possibility. But Dany thinks it is Reznak, which makes me believe it is Illyrio. Would George let a character in the story figure it out for the reader? 

27 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

A wild crackpot appears!

Baelor Brightsmile is the heir of lord Leyton Hightower and he prepares some of the defenses against Ironborn (oversees fleet building), so he could be seen as he is acting as his father's seneschal. To some, Baelor is known as Baelor Breakwind.

So Baelor Breakwind is a "perfumed" senechal.

Nice find! You've changed my mind.

4 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

The key to figuring this out is, of course, the conversation between Tyrion and Moqorro while on the Selaesori Qhoran.

So we know steward, seneschal, and magister are different words for the same occupation. This still leaves a lot of possibilities though.

The other clue is perfumed. How many perfumed seneschals, magisters, or stewards does the reader know AND that Dany needs to beware of.

By my count there are two.

The obvious answer is Reznak. We know he is a seneschal. We know he wears perfume. 

Dany believes she should beware of him. It could be Reznak.

The other candidate is Illyrio. He is, of course, a magister of Pentos. Waaaaay back in GoT we got this from Dany.

We know Illyrio wears perfume. We know it is to cover up the stench of his flesh. This may be symbolic of trying to hide something (someone?).

Dany clearly had some mistrust of the magister, even though he helped her. This mistrust is well deserved. 

I believe the Perfumed Seneschal is Illyrio. However, I would not eliminate Reznak as a possibility. But Dany thinks it is Reznak, which makes me believe it is Illyrio. Would George let a character in the story figure it out for the reader?

Yes. I mentioned it before but he does exactly this with other parts of Quaithe’s warning. The Sun’s Son and the Pale Mare. Not that I am certain it is Reznak, and I certainly see a strong argument for Illyrio. I just disagree with the “too obvious” or “GRRM would not have the character work it out for us” argument

16 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Yes. I mentioned it before but he does exactly this with other parts of Quaithe’s warning. The Sun’s Son and the Pale Mare. Not that I am certain it is Reznak, and I certainly see a strong argument for Illyrio. I just disagree with the “too obvious” or “GRRM would not have the character work it out for us” argument

Good point.

Archived