Football: Mo Please!

AncalagonTheBlack

These past three days is a perfect example of why no other sport can ever compete with football.

Also really good to see a lot of teams playing attacking, free-flowing football and making it deep into European tournaments.

@Notone, I am not an avid follower of the Bundesliga, but I know that what Kovac is doing with Frankfurt is impressive, considering where they were when he took over, but I still find him to be a strange choice of manager for Bayern.

Looking at their recent permanent appointments - Van Gaal, Heynckes, Guardiola and Ancelotti - they were all Champions League winning managers. With Bayern having no real rival for the title in Germany, you would imagine that the Champions League is their main priority. With that in mind, it makes sense why they appointed people like Van Gaal, Guardiola and Ancelotti, even if despite their success in the Champions League with other clubs, none of them managed to succeeded in Europe with Bayern.

Kovac appears to have limited experience in the competition as a manager, if any at all. It seems like they are changing tact from going for well established and experienced managers, like the four I mentioned (although, of course, they would like Heynckes to stay) to aiming for younger, up and coming managerial prospects, such as Kovac - or the others that were linked: Nagelsmann, Tuchel and Hasenhüttl.

10 hours ago, Mme Erzulie said:

These past three days is a perfect example of why no other sport can ever compete with football.

I know this is a football thread, but it's a bit silly to say this with Stanley Cup Playoffs started two days ago. ;) 

From the same report as Mme shared, Man United (and Arsenal) had the highest percentage of fans that chose the 'most important thing they want to see from their teams' to be 'playing entertaining football'...

I'll be interested to see the full report and where Chelsea lie in the 'noisiest fans and most likely to sing for their team' table. I can us being relegation candidates in that respect.

West Ham fans definitely deserve their spot in the top five for away fans; they were far louder than the home support from Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday. You'd have thought Hernandez had scored a title clinching goal when he equalised in the second half.

3 minutes ago, baxus said:

I know this is a football thread, but it's a bit silly to say this with Stanley Cup Playoffs started two days ago. ;) 

I had to look up what the Stanley cup was. Along with most of the rest of the planet. I'm sure it's very exciting. 

Four rounds of best-of-seven matches between top 16 teams in the fastest team sport in the world's best league in the world.

As entertaining as Champions League may be from time to time, Stanley Cup playoffs are in a whole different ballpark.

26 minutes ago, mormont said:

I had to look up what the Stanley cup was. Along with most of the rest of the planet. I'm sure it's very exciting. 

So because you don’t follow a sport makes it not exciting? Interesting.

Arsenal-Atleti and Marseille-Salzburg in the Europa Semi. Was kinda hoping Arsenal and Atleti would avoid eachother as that would’ve been a cool final but the semis should be fun too. 

3 hours ago, Mme Erzulie said:

@BigFatCoward and anyone else not impressed with the Anfield atmosphere (or Liverpool fans in general):

Seems like over 4000 former and current players, managers and fans disagree with you (in every category as well).

At least the Toon are second, eh? ;)

Imagine if we had won the league in the last 91 years or the FA cup in the last 63. 

41 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Well I’m happy with drawing Roma and avoiding Bayern and Madrid. Wish the 2nd leg was at Anfield though.

If ever a team was set up to take advantage of being away in the 2nd leg it is this Liverpool team. 

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

If ever a team was set up to take advantage of being away in the 2nd leg it is this Liverpool team. 

I'd agree with this.You would have to fancy Liverpool to score away from home.

City's first half strategy of 3 backs and 5 in midfield seemed to be working well against us-glad they changed it for no good reason for the second half.

Do or can Roma set up this way?

3 hours ago, Mme Erzulie said:

@BigFatCoward and anyone else not impressed with the Anfield atmosphere (or Liverpool fans in general):

Seems like over 4000 former and current players, managers and fans disagree with you (in every category as well).

At least the Toon are second, eh? ;)

Says more about the atmosphere of the Premier League that Liverpool are top than how good the Anfield crowd are. Yes it is substantially better on big European nights, but nothing more than teams in most leagues face on a regular basis.

6 minutes ago, redriver said:

City's first half strategy of 3 backs and 5 in midfield seemed to be working well against us-glad they changed it for no good reason for the second half.

Do or can Roma set up this way?

I did not watch the whole of Roma vs Barcelona, but I believe they set up with a 3-5-2 formation. However, even if they set up like this against Liverpool, I'd fancy Liverpool's forward line to do more damage to Roma's backline than what Barca's did on Wednesday.

2 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

So because you don’t follow a sport makes it not exciting?

Not having watched it, I wouldn't have said it wasn't exciting: and I didn't. In fact I said I'm sure it is exciting.

It does, however, strike me as a strange thing to bring up a much less successful and popular sport in response to ME's post, and to say that this makes his advocacy for football as the most exciting sport in the world a 'silly' thing to say. You might think the Stanley Cup is more exciting than the last week of football matches. You might be right. But it's really not that silly to suggest that the most successful and popular team sport in the word has that status for a good reason. 

Archived