Football: Mo Please!

AncalagonTheBlack

A surprise but not a huge one for me. I was expecting a dogshit performance actually: we beat Chelsea and followed that up with a shambolic 60 minutes at Palace but managed to pull that out of the fire. We beat Liverpool only to follow that up with a horror show 90 minutes against Sevilla. We beat City and follow that up with a shitshow against the worst team in the league. We've played turgid football all season but have been more efficient in front goal and we have DDG. 

On 4/14/2018 at 2:40 PM, Consigliere said:

We've been saying this for a while now. Eventually the buy low, sell high policy of Southampton was bound to catch up with them. This looks to be the season where that policy leads to relegation.

That's... not really how it works.

Your argument here appears to be: selling players was bound to lead to relegation eventually, Southampton are almost certainly being relegated, therefore the point is proved, QED. But Southampton being relegated isn't proof that their transfer policy is to blame: and in fact, if you look at it objectively, Southampton still have far superior players to, say, Brighton and Huddersfield, and looking at the player rosters alone should be staying up.

Southampton's problem has instead been poor managerial appointments, capped with the frankly baffling decision to appoint Mark Hughes. They've massively underachieved this season, but that is not down to the transfer policy. (And if it were, that would still not prove that the same policy was wrong in previous seasons.)

29 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

i'm not sure we can't make europe at this rate, imagine what Rafa could do if he had some money to spend. 

no kidding! the lads have been a joy to watch. seriously just a big goal scorer and Newcastle are a 6th place team!

and a text from our pal Alex:

Whenever you're next on the board make sure to remind everyone that Raheem Sterling is a league winner and a legend, and that City are the best fucking team in the world

42 minutes ago, MercurialCannibal said:

Whenever you're next on the board make sure to remind everyone that Raheem Sterling is a league winner and a legend, and that City are the best fucking team in the world

Sterling is a league winner and a bell end.City may be the best (certainly the most expensive) in England at the moment,but they can stand by and scratch their arses whilst the grown-ups sort out who's the best in the world.

2 minutes ago, redriver said:

Sterling is a league winner and a bell end.City may be the best (certainly the most expensive) in England at the moment,but they can stand by and scratch their arses whilst the grown-ups sort out who's the best in the world.

I'm sorry,  who are you?

3 minutes ago, redriver said:

Do you work for Cambridge Analytica?I'm a Liverpool fan and that's all you need to know.

yeah.  that will do. i don't need to know anything else.  please let the world know when you win a premier league title. don't get me wrong,  the champions league is impressive,  but it takes something altogether different to win a league title.  

and liverpool fans are generally an insufferable bunch.  

what really do pool have going for them without the front three? the answer is a 6th place team. 

2 minutes ago, MercurialCannibal said:

what really do pool have going for them without the front three? the answer is a 6th place team. 

Take the three best players off any team and they will be considerably worse? Klopp would still probably find a way to finish above this Arsenal side without them so I’m not even sure it’s a 6th place team :P

5 minutes ago, MercurialCannibal said:

and liverpool fans are generally an insufferable bunch.  

Rafa would tell you otherwise :D 

3 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Take the three best players off any team and they will be considerably worse? Klopp would still probably find a way to finish above this Arsenal side without them so I’m not even sure it’s a 6th place team :P

Rafa would tell you otherwise :D 

finishing above arsenal isn't a trophy i am afraid. 

don't you fucking dare invoke rafa's name! 

On a serious note, City do have a brilliant side and what they've achieved in the league this season and the manner in which they've done it is pretty incredible - on course to break the 100 points and goals mark. Guardiola is a great manager who plays a progressive style of football and has almost unlimited funds at his disposal so City will be a force for the foreseeable future as well. Whether they can transfer their domestic dominance into Europe remains to be seen. 

And since we are talking about the quality of Liverpool, I'll just say this: it's actually scary to think what Klopp could achieve with Liverpool if he was given 500 million to spend over two seasons.

I'm far more worried about United and the dinosaur tactics of Mourinho in addition to the fact that in nearly two seasons the team still lacks cohesion and any sort of attacking game plan. Far too often we look like 11 guys who have never played together.

To consider your points seriously- we have won 19 top flight titles,but admittedly no PL's.Working on that one.

I'm not going to comment on that.

We would have to go some to secure 6th-more likely a top four ,no?Besides we are looking much better defensively since VVD arrived with our wide backs improving every game.

Anyway,this is disappointing.When I congratulated City toward the top of this page I genuinely meant it.

Maybe "congrats to City and most of their fans" would be more appropriate?

Quite concerning when you look at recent results between ‘big teams’ in Germany, France and Scotland, with Bayern Munich beating Borussia Dortmund 6-0 a few weeks ago, Celtic beating Rangers 4-0 today, and PSG beating Monaco 7-1 tonight. 

I know Monaco managed to win Ligue 1 last season, but that only made PSG splash a world record to sign Neymar and sign Monaco’s star player, Mbappe, on loan with an obligation to buy this summer.

The gap between the likes of Bayern, PSG, Celtic and their some of their so-called nearest rivals is either not getting any closer or growing even larger.

Archived