Football: Mo Please!

AncalagonTheBlack

Liverpool were relying on some Salah/Firmino magic that never happened. This is why a lot of fans were screaming for attacking depth in January. After the front three we don’t have anyone who can change the game (definitely now that Ox is out). Ings contributes nothing to the buildup. Klopp ended up bringing Clyne on as a right mid where he had pretty much zero effect. 

Refs were fucking terrible too.

Top four still in our hands even if Chelsea beat us next week but still things could’ve been wrapped up if we didn’t choke last week vs West Brom and were a little more clinical today. 

That point should see Liverpool over the line for top four. Even if Chelsea win their two games in hand and beat Liverpool (two big ‘ifs’), it would have us level on points, but Chelsea with a far worse goal difference, and Liverpool with a final day fixture vs Brighton, while Chelsea travel to Newcastle.

55 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Gomez has been pretty awful.

He's had enough bad games now that I'm starting to wonder if that's his level, rather than the odd good game he's had. And for all the talk of centre back being his position, he's poor in the air and he's not that strong. I can't really see it as it stands.

yeah,i think that's his level too,hopefully he will be moved on next season along with a few others who need clearing out.Anyway.no injuries and a point ,i'm ok with that given the injuries we've had,there really wasn't anyone on the bench who would have changed the game for us.

I'd be inclined to keep Gomez and get rid of Klavan or Lovren and sign another CB. Klavan and Lovren are 32 and 28 respectively so this is as good as they are going to get whereas Gomez is only 20. If he doesn't improve over the next 2-3 seasons then maybe it will be time to look for an alternative. 

Gomez has been very poor in his last two games, but prior to his injury his general play was excellent apart from some costly inattention at the back post a few times.  As a young player, and one who is finding his rhythm after injury, I would hate to see us condemn him too quickly.  

We’re getting crushed by fatigue at the moment, but we’re also seeing that if we make more than a couple of changes to the team then our back-ups aren’t able to come in and feel like part of the team.  Much of that could be because (1) our top level back-ups are all injured and because (2) the ones who are healthy are themselves coming back from injury, but also that (3) some aren’t good enough — Ings and Sturridge disappointed badly this season. Solanke too, albeit younger.

Utd used to have players like Solksjaer, Wes Brown, Phil Neville, John O’Shea, Ji Sung Park, etc who were generally outside the starting 11 but who knew their roles when called up by rotation.

I think the point with Gomez is mainly that is a centreback that got often deployed as fullback. The defensive positioning is different. Liverpool's injury problems are enhanced by the fact that it hit almost exclusively one position. Central midfield. If one position is plagued than every club gets problems. Look at Bayern with their wingers. Coman is out, and after Robben got injured against Real the last wide player standing was Ribery. So I agree with @Consigliere if I were Liverpool Klavan would be higher on my list of players to get rid of. Unless you find an good club where Gomez gets to play regularly in the starting line up, then a 1-2 season loan would make sense.

Anyway in other news.

As of today Köln is the first club that has dropped. On the bright side of things, they won't have to start from scratch with their squad. Horn and Hector have both announced they will stay and clean up their mess. German International Hector has gone as far as signing a new contract with, despite interest from Dortmund and Bayern.

13 minutes ago, Notone said:

As of today Köln is the first club that has dropped. On the bright side of things, they won't have to start from scratch with their squad. Horn and Hector have both announced they will stay and clean up their mess. German International Hector has gone as far as signing a new contract with, despite interest from Dortmund and Bayern.

Relegated on the same day Fortuna Düsseldorf come up. They can't help but miss each other it seems. HSV pulling off their Lazarus act once again - 3 wins from 4 puts them only two points off the relegation play-off spot. Hopefully this is just setting them up for the funniest and most fitting relegation possible: losing the play-off to Kiel who come up and take Hamburg's stadium as their own is not fit for the top flight.

In positive news, after almost going an entire month (featuring seven games) without a non-penalty goal, we got a last minute equaliser to secure another season of glorious third tier football.

55 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Relegated on the same day Fortuna Düsseldorf come up. They can't help but miss each other it seems. HSV pulling off their Lazarus act once again - 3 wins from 4 puts them only two points off the relegation play-off spot. Hopefully this is just setting them up for the funniest and most fitting relegation possible: losing the play-off to Kiel who come up and take Hamburg's stadium as their own is not fit for the top flight.

Noppe, I am afarid this once again the time where an old saying is proven right. The devil also craps on the biggest heap. And what can you say, his prefered bowl is apparently the HSV stadium.

Juve generally get the rub of the green when it comes to referring decisions in Serie A.

Hope Inter can hang on for the win or at least a point. Napoli go to Fiorentina tomorrow. Not an easy game but if Inter can do them a solid then the title will be in their own hands again. Can't ask for more than that after it looked like they had blown their chance not so long ago. 

Congratulations... of a sort, to Brechin City, who have managed the rare feat of completing their league season without winning a single match.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43936932

I heard a radio story about this yesterday, when they were targeting a win against Queen of the South to avoid this outcome. Result: a 5-1 defeat. That did not go well.

0 wins 4 draws 32 defeats 20 goals for 90 against. Fair to say, not a classic season.

Anytime I watch Celtic Ntcham really impresses me. Brilliant player, and still only 22.

Fifteen minutes in and it’s 1-0 Celtic, but really should be more. 

Steven Gerrard currently pushing that blue pen back across the negotiation table...

ETA: 2-0. Celtic have found another young gem in on loan PSG forward Edouard. 

3-0 Forrest - cool as you like.

Celtic Park is pumping.

ETA 2: 4-0. Wouldn’t really be an Old Firm without Rogic scoring, would it?

31 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

5-0. If only they could throw in a towel. This is beyond embarrassing.

There's embarrasing, and there's Carrie-at-the-prom humiliation.

This is the latter for Rangers, and I suspect the more thuggish fans will react in similar manner.  There were already rumours elements plannes to wreck the stadium. Apare a thought for the poor bastard who has to clean thr toilets at Celtic Park...

Archived