Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AncalagonTheBlack

Football: Mo Please!

Had PFA team been a realistic balanced team, Matic would definitely deserve to stand there instead of Eriksen.

The only other concern I have is about Vertonghen. Has he been that brilliant this season ? (especially considering that Spurs are only the 4th defence in the league)

Downton Abbey' Creator Julian Fellowes Teams With Netflix for 'The English Game'

Fellowes' first series with the streamer will look at the historic orgins of soccer, and how factory workers and upper-class Englishmen reached across the class divide to create the world's most popular sport.

Netflix is partnering with Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes and production company 42 for a new soccer origins drama, The English Game. Fellowes will write the six-part drama detailing the invention of modern soccer from a rudimentary game that grew across class lines into the world's most popular sport with 240 million active players around the world. 

The streaming giant has previously banked on soccer's global popularity, with, among other shows, an Italian docuseries on Juventus FC. The new series was announced in Rome on Wednesday morning at Netflix's See What's Next event, focusing on upcoming European series.

20 hours ago, ljkeane said:

In fairness Otamendi looked really good for large parts of the season, the games when he looked poor probably came after a lot of votes had been cast.

Centre back isn't a particularly strong position. I haven't been that impressed with Vertonghen this year either, Spurs' defence hasn't actually been as good as you'd expect. United have got a good defensive record but I don't think the defenders have been particularly outstanding, Van Dijk's been good at Liverpool but you're talking half a season and Chelsea haven't been great. I think you could make a strong case for Tarkowski or maybe Lascelles.   

i'll be stunned if he is still playing for us next season. 

just been looking back through the PFA teams through the ages, not sure which of the following was the most bizarre selection - Pascal Chimbonda, Richard Dunne, Darren Fletcher, Seamus Coleman

10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

i'll be stunned if he is still playing for us next season. 

just been looking back through the PFA teams through the ages, not sure which of the following was the most bizarre selection - Pascal Chimbonda, Richard Dunne, Darren Fletcher, Seamus Coleman

Coleman is a wicked player. Unless this was during one of the many years he was crippled, that isn't bizarre at all.

Fletcher was dead good for a while too before his intestines melted, though it's a more surprising decision given how hard it is for DMs to get in.

I just came here to post that. Damn it, too slow apparently.

It’s definitely the right call though. 

I hope Arsenal take this opportunity to return to their roots* and pick Big Sam to takeover.

*Those of you who aren't Old Gits will not remember Arsenal have a long history of being the most defensive and boring team in England.

Damn never seen an Arsenal team without him as their manager. Will be interesting to see who they bring in and how the team performs. 

35 minutes ago, Hereward said:

I hope Arsenal take this opportunity to return to their roots* and pick Big Sam to takeover.

*Those of you who aren't Old Gits will not remember Arsenal have a long history of being the most defensive and boring team in England.

Yeah, but those of us with Wikipedia will know of Herbert Chapman and decide that tactically revolutionary professors are more Arsenal's roots than 1-0 to the Arsenal.

:P

Vieira has been linked to it quite a bit in the last few days. Not sure that success in the MLS transfers to the Premier League. But he is highly rated by Man City and the City Group, which suggests he has some talent as a manager.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

The immediate favourite for taking over is Ancellotti.

That'd be a terrible idea, even if in the short term it'd be fun.

Can’t imagine this is true. Think we will end up with Enrique, Arteta, Allegri or one of the young German coaches. I hope the latter or Allegri.

35 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Can’t imagine this is true. Think we will end up with Enrique, Arteta, Allegri or one of the young German coaches. I hope the latter or Allegri.

It's gonna be Thierry Henry or Brendan fucking Rodgers.

10 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

It's gonna be Thierry Henry or Brendan fucking Rodgers.

Nah. Maybe Rodgers (I still very much doubt this), but no chance it'll be Henry. 

At least Arsenal have a lot of strategic options. They can either appoint a shiny name (Ancelotti, Allegri), or someone who knows the house (Vieira, Arteta) despite being less fashionable. They can also do both with someone like Henry (defintely risky)... or neither with the likes of Dyche and Howe. (those are less entertaining but maybe safer)

Also, is Tuchel available ? I am aware he's linked to PSG, but with Mislintat being at Arsenal...

Some underrated Ligue 1 managers such as Favre and Jardim have also been linked to Arsenal at some point. They really have a wide list of choices. (so much wide that I can actually see David Moyes taking over)

But does Wenger actually have his word about his successor, just like Ferguson had ? Or will he let the board decide ? 

While I heartily endorse the choice of Samuele Allardici for the Arsenal post and sincerely hope they go down that road (hah!), I feel one shouldn’t overlook the just-out-of-work managerial genius that is Alan Pardew. 

Just sayin’