Football: Mo Please!

AncalagonTheBlack

5 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Robbie Savage is really getting on my nerves though. Is he really suggesting that Arsenal should have sat back and run down the last half hour against 10-man Atletico?

Probably. Announcers always talk with the knowledge of hindsight while ignoring how easy the goal would have been to avoid if one thing went differently (Koscielny's kick didn't hit Greizmann's head and go right into Griezmann's path, Mustafi didn't slip and fall after Griezmann missed the first shot). I hate it.

Arsenal had chances but credit also needs to go to Atleti for managing to hang on for so long with 10 men and getting an away goal. Could be tough going in Madrid given Arsenal's poor away record this season and Costa should be back for that game. He makes a massive difference to Atleti and he brings out the best in Griezmann as well. 

2 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Yeah. And Savage is especially bad with that kind of thing. Trying to secure the tie was the right thing to do, but shit happens sometimes and you can't really plan for it.

How you've got to look at it though is- Atletico have conceded so few goals at home this season, that they must be due a bunch!

Atletico haven't allowed a home goal in their last 11 matches. Arsenal is screwed.

Even in hindsight Arsenal needed to go for the second. Atleti were happy with the 1-0 having been a man light for all but ten minutes and rightly so. This was Arsenal’s chance to get far enough ahead to withstand the pressure in Madrid.

Pretty poor from Monreal to be playing Griezmann onside for the goal, even if not as funny as Koscielny and Mustafi.

Arsenal’s defense doing their best to deflect negative focus from Lovren. 

That was a bit Spursy of them but I hope they snatch a win in Madrid.  As much as I like Atleti as the plucky underdogs in La Liga, if they’re playing anyone but Real or Barca then I lose all sympathy for their shit-house style: if it’s not dirty fouls then it’s time-wasting, harassing the ref, diving, and the manager storming onto the field to intimidate the ref.  I think it’s easier to like Simeone from far away.  If he turns up in the PL he might be just as bad as Mourinho. 

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

If it’s not dirty fouls then it’s time-wasting, harassing the ref, diving, and the manager storming onto the field to intimidate the ref.

Suits Arsenal's delicate, break-able porcelain style of playing anyway. We're going to get killed in Madrid. No fairytale for Wenger.

I’m really worried that our thin squad will collapse and we’ll miss out on a CL trophy for the sake of even just a couple of injuries.  And then we’ll hear “but if Coutinho hadn’t been sold...” for the next decade.  And maybe even “but if Sturridge/Origi/Wilson/Grujic hadn’t been on loan... “

Lallana, Can, Matip, Ox, Mane, plus Gomez and Clyne aren’t yet match fit after their injuries.   If even two of them were fully fit we’d be in a better situation.  Our CL competitors have so much more depth available. 

Liverpool team: Karius, Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Klavan, Moreno, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Salah, Firmino, Ings.

Substitutes: Mignolet, Clyne, Lovren, Milner, Robertson, Solanke, Woodburn.

Klopp has played 4 games against Stoke City in the league, and he has won all 4 games. Liverpool have scored 13 goals against Stoke in this time, and only conceded 3 goals.

C'mon you reds! B)

Archived