US Politics: What Price Loyalty?

mormont

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Interesting, so the talking heads have all been wrong? Also, what happens if Trump fires Francisco? Couldn't the person who is 5th in line fire Mueller? Regardless, it doesn't matter if Trump makes, say for the sake of argument, Rick Perry the new DAG. He's already confirmed, so he could fire Mueller. 

Trump can't make Perry (or Pruitt, etc.) the new DAG under the Vacancies Act, he can make them the Acting DAG; which doesn't change anything. The only one Trump could fire to actually make a difference would be Sessions himself, because then whoever he appoints Acting AG would have authority. But there would be much higher blowback for firing Sessions (unlike these DOJ guys no one heard of before Trump, Sessions has lots of conservative movement allies).

Also, if Francisco is fired, the next person is the US Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia; bur right now Tracy Doherty-McCormick is in at position in acting capacity, so she can't be the Acting AG for the same reason an Acting DAG couldn't be. 

After that the order succession I believe is the US Attorney for the Eastern District of North Carolina and then the US Attorney for the Northern District of Texas (unless the March 2017 EO on succession was revoked, there had been a January 2017 one before that which had been). The former is a guy named Robert Higdon, who sounds like a career guy, and the later is a woman named Erin Cox, who may be more partisan but it's hard to tell.

The succession line ends there.

Donnie's gonna address the nation about Syria tonight.

I wonder if he'll also fire Rosenstein when one of the words on the teleprompter is too big for him.

And no love on that twitter name? Fuck y'all, that's pure goddamn genius. :P

Just now, Alcibiades said:

Apparently there is going to be an announcement in a few minutes. Can't decide if I want to watch it. The thought is revolting. 

Like being told a Bull is about to fuck a Python, right?

18 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Donnie's gonna address the nation about Syria tonight.

I wonder if he'll also fire Rosenstein when one of the words on the teleprompter is too big for him.

And no love on that twitter name? Fuck y'all, that's pure goddamn genius. :P

It Looks like Trump just put his foot down on Syria .

Prosecutors’ Withering Rebuttal of Cohen Shows How Hard It Will Be for Trump to Sabotage Their Investigation

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/04/its-going-to-be-very-hard-for-trump-to-sabotage-both-the-cohen-investigation-and-the-mueller-probe.html

The threat of an attempt to obstruct the investigation is a particular concern given that the New York Times reported that Trump spoke with Cohen on Friday, the same day the president gave a pardon to former Vice President Dick Cheney aide Scooter Libby. “Depending on what was said, the call could be problematic for both men, as defense lawyers often advise their clients not to talk to each other during investigations,” the Times noted.

We need to rework the War Powers act and all that shit.  Any of these conflicts that have gone in for over a month or so should require a strict set of conditions for the President to order any military action without Congressional approval.  

I guess if it's unilateral it makes it very slightly less bad but fuck it feels like nothing has changed since 2003.  And yes I know we drop thousands of bombs a year -- ita just I feel like the not dropping bombs isn't even a consideration as a US citizen, voter, resident, whatever.  It's like you're bombing people all the time.  Dropping bombs is just the default status quo.  That shit should bug the fuck out of you every time.

The Syrian War Is Actually Many Wars

President Donald Trump is ordering U.S. strikes against government targets in Syria after a suspected chemical attack

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/04/the-syrian-war-is-many-wars/557990/

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad seems to have won the civil war in his country—but that doesn’t mean peace is coming. In fact, the conflict seems to be escalating—fueled by the many outside powers who have joined the Syrian battlefield with interests of their own.

“If you look at the literature on civil wars, it tends to suggest that the more foreign powers involved, the more difficult it is for a civil war to end—because most of those powers aren’t willing to quit until either they are exhausted or their claims and desires have been met,” said Christopher Phillips, author of the book The Battle for Syria: International Rivalry in the New Middle East. “And because a lot of them are backing proxies, the cost isn't necessarily that high.

4 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

We need to rework the War Powers act and all that shit.

Simply insisting on observing the details of the War Powers Act would be a good start.

Archived