Cobra Kai

GoTCannibal

10 hours ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Daniel's not the villain in the show. He's kinda the same as he was in the first movie- a mostly well-intentioned guy who's a successful businessman, and loving husband and father. He's just got a bit of a temper and can be self righteous and smug at times.

Johnny's turned into an alcoholic deadbeat dad asshole who slowly redeems himself over the course of the show. His brand of toxic masculinity is actually helpful for the 'losers' who join his dojo, but it goes too far towards the end and even he realizes it.

I guess that's a spoiler, but the major plot points and character beats are fairly well telegraphed.

I heard that it ends with

Spoiler

Kreese showing up to congratulate Johnny for fighting the way Kresse taught him even while Johnny somewhat realized he fucked up in how he trained his student. Meanwhile Danny has opened a Dojo in his sensei's honour, is remembering the balance his teacher taught him, and has taken Johnny's son as his first official student.

If so that's a great way to go into the second season.

I may just have to sign up and watch this.

For someone who feels pretty much no connection to the original, I found this series strangely addictive. I'll definitely watch out for a second season if it's this good. 

I was kind of sad about the ending though. I was really rooting for 

Spoiler

Johny and the Cobra Kai's, but they really became a toxic bunch by the end. I think White Walker Texas Ranger was spot on by pointing out Johny's realization that he's been horribly misguided in his coaching. Which is kind of heartbreaking, because they were all pretty good kids in the beginning. 

I was especially bummed out by Miguel and Samantha's fall-out. They really worked together and then that old rivalry just pushed them apart.  It will be interesting to see where they take it from here. And I wonder where she'll end up training next season. 

Also random aside, but the actress playing Samantha is superhot. Totally irrelevant I know, but I just had to say it :P 

Just finished.  I honestly thought it was really good.  Like legitimately good.  I am quite shocked. Very humourous throughout but with a lot of heart. I think Zabka was the clear standout but that's not to knock Macchio.  The story is very much Johnny's.

Despite Daniel being the good guy through this season his speech to Robby at the end will pretty clearly set him up as an antagonist next season in a nice reversal. I actually truly loved the episode with Johnny and Daniel in the bar.

On 5/5/2018 at 10:17 AM, Slurktan said:

Hide contents

Despite Daniel being the good guy through this season his speech to Robby at the end will pretty clearly set him up as an antagonist next season in a nice reversal. I actually truly loved the episode with Johnny and Daniel in the bar.

Spoiler

I think they're going to keep it grey (both Johnny and Daniel were often shitty and kinda dumb), and instead of "good" or bad" they are pitting anger versus balance. 

Daniel's top students are obviously going to be his daughter and Johnny's kid.

Gotta say this was way more engaging and fun than I expected. It's deliciously corny, with just enough actual substance to keep it form being pure fluff. Also, Johnny is hilarious. 

4 minutes ago, Relic said:
  Hide contents

I think they're going to keep it grey (both Johnny and Daniel were often shitty and kinda dumb), and instead of "good" or bad" they are pitting anger versus balance. 

Daniel's top students are obviously going to be his daughter and Johnny's kid.

Gotta say this was way more engaging and fun than I expected. It's deliciously corny, with just enough actual substance to keep it form being pure fluff. Also, Johnny is hilarious. 

Regarding the students, I wouldn't be so sure that 

Spoiler

Sam is going to train under Daniel. They could have just had her interact with her father and set up the training. The fact that they didn't, makes me think they might take another route with her. 

Just now, Veltigar said:

Hide contents

Sam is going to train under Daniel. They could have just had her interact with her father and set up the training. The fact that they didn't, makes me think they might take another route with her. 

Spoiler

That's also possible, given some of the little twists they've employed to play up the drama. Either way, as long as they keep it fun I'll watch another season. 

One plot point I can see them doing in a future season would be to have Daniel's lazy, slothful son enrolled with Cobra Kai whether through his own choice, or the Mom doing it because what Daniel does isn't "working for the kid", or maybe much further down the line when Daniel and Johnny will obviously become more understanding, Daniel advocates it himself.  

Also if the series doesn't end with Daniel and Johnny doing Kata by the lake together I will be disappointed.

Thought it was really awesome. Felt like they either alluded to or directly showed 98% of the original film which might be fan service but think it worked in pure story terms because it is, after all, an unabashed retelling of the original story just from Johnny's perspective. But there were a lot of little details that enhanced it for me as a Karate Kid nerd: 

Spoiler
  • Hawk's story arc going from a shy nerd to basically being the new Dutch. That's the one mini arc I didn't see coming. 
  • Felt like Daniel and Johnny reminiscing at the bar was the best scene in the whole series. It's an enjoyable sentiment to think that Daniel and Johnny would've been best friends in another life.
  • Like they brought back the "badass karate guy who Johnny/new Johnny mercilessly dispatches in the semis" but made him a kinda an insufferably vapid SJW for 2018. 
  • Didn't see Cobra Kai coming out at the All Valley Tournament like the Purple Cobras in Dodgeball. Not to say I didn't enjoy it. 
  • Weirdly among the 2% from the original they didn't reference was Johnny tearfully giving Daniel the trophy at the end. Kinda a big moment to omit. I get that Johnny's mentality maybe not allow him to dwell on his one moment of magnanimity and that with what transpired with Kreese afterwards in the parking lot...it probably poisoned his memory of that. But woulda loved to see Daniel bring it up when they were bonding. Maybe in Cobra Kai 2. 

On 5/8/2018 at 5:55 PM, Slurktan said:

Hide contents

One plot point I can see them doing in a future season would be to have Daniel's lazy, slothful son enrolled with Cobra Kai whether through his own choice, or the Mom doing it because what Daniel does isn't "working for the kid", or maybe much further down the line when Daniel and Johnny will obviously become more understanding, Daniel advocates it himself. 

Yeah, that's a good call. I can totally see that happening. 

5 hours ago, Mexal said:

Renewed for season 2.

Awesome news :D

On 5/9/2018 at 8:42 PM, Jaime L said:

Thought it was really awesome. Felt like they either alluded to or directly showed 98% of the original film which might be fan service but think it worked in pure story terms because it is, after all, an unabashed retelling of the original story just from Johnny's perspective. But there were a lot of little details that enhanced it for me as a Karate Kid nerd: 

Hide contents
  • Hawk's story arc going from a shy nerd to basically being the new Dutch. That's the one mini arc I didn't see coming. 
  • Felt like Daniel and Johnny reminiscing at the bar was the best scene in the whole series. It's an enjoyable sentiment to think that Daniel and Johnny would've been best friends in another life.
  • Like they brought back the "badass karate guy who Johnny/new Johnny mercilessly dispatches in the semis" but made him a kinda an insufferably vapid SJW for 2018. 
  • Didn't see Cobra Kai coming out at the All Valley Tournament like the Purple Cobras in Dodgeball. Not to say I didn't enjoy it. 
  • Weirdly among the 2% from the original they didn't reference was Johnny tearfully giving Daniel the trophy at the end. Kinda a big moment to omit. I get that Johnny's mentality maybe not allow him to dwell on his one moment of magnanimity and that with what transpired with Kreese afterwards in the parking lot...it probably poisoned his memory of that. But woulda loved to see Daniel bring it up when they were bonding. Maybe in Cobra Kai 2. 

I'm not terribly familiar with the original. Who was 

Spoiler

Dutch again?

5 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Yeah, that's a good call. I can totally see that happening. 

Awesome news :D

I'm not terribly familiar with the original. Who was 

Hide contents

Dutch again?

He's the guy who screams "Put him in a bodybag"

The show is done better then a lot thought and maybe should be. The world built that feels very normal beside what is a wierd Karate fascination that gets subtly references. Looking forward the second season.

Spoiler

- This maybe as close you will get to a positive, nuance, and thoughtful "MAGA" show. I liked that Miguel's Grandmother is most supportive of Johnny and she does not speak a word of English.

- I do not want too much role reversals in season 2. Not anything to do with the bullies in season 1 but more in tone of Cobra Kai just being the bullies. 

- Anything after 2 season should look to focus more on the younger cast. I thought they at least put down some markers for some great development with those character's. Though I was most interested in Johnny and Daniel, and the show did great with many of the characters.

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Dutch was the one with the Platinum Blonde hair, Tommy was the guy you're thinking of.  

Two of Johnny's useless cronies had names?  My word it's been a while since I've watched the Double K.

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

Two of Johnny's useless cronies had names?  My word it's been a while since I've watched the Double K.

Bobby Brown, was the one who wanted to beat Daniel fair and Square, Dutch was the Platinum Blonde and Tommy was the one who wanted to put him in a body bag. If seen it too many times . 

16 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Bobby Brown, was the one who wanted to beat Daniel fair and Square, Dutch was the Platinum Blonde and Tommy was the one who wanted to put him in a body bag. If seen it too many times . 

Dutch also seemed like he had steroid-related rage issues. The others were dickish but still felt like high school kids. Dutch seemed like he was attending the All Valley Tournament while on parole. 

2 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Dutch also seemed like he had steroid-related rage issues. The others were dickish but still felt like high school kids. Dutch seemed like he was attending the All Valley Tournament while on parole. 

Yeah I can kinda got that vibe from him too.

Archived