Cobra Kai

GoTCannibal

Season 3

I mentioned that Robby is the character whose story I'm most invested in, and honestly, I thought his plot this season was god-awful. It was so contrived to get him to the point where he would join Kreese. Johnny is an even worse father than he was before (who doesn't visit their kid when they're locked up in prison?), and none of the Miyagi-Do, who were all so close last season, seemed to even care that he was gone. For all the references to Miguel getting kicked off the balcony, no one ever actually talked about it--except for one brief scene at the dojo, there was no communication between Robby and Miguel and Sam. And I'm really not looking forward to the inevitable Robby/Tory romance. (The only pairing that I think works is Daniel and Amanda. I find Johnny/Carmen and Miguel/Sam to both be incredibly dull).

This was all made worse by Hawk turning against Cobra Kai without any sort of recriminations for the felonies he spent the last three seasons committing. Why should we even care about the dojo rivalry at this point? It's Robby and Tory verses every other character. 

The showrunners keep saying that they have six seasons mapped out. At this point, I have no idea how they're going to fill up three more seasons.

I feel like everyone is way too liberal with spoilers for a thread that isn't expressly marked to contain them. It's a great series, so let us not spoil this for anyone who comes here in good faith. 

I have just finished the season and I thought it was magnificent to be honest. Especially the first five episodes, which were essentially perfect. The latter half of the season does feature some problems, mostly related to two characters (I'll detail within spoiler tags), but all in all this is far superior to season two.

In my book, I'd say it even surpasses season one. It might only be the second day of the year, but I would be very pleasantly surprised if there is another series that I'll like as much as this season of Cobra Kai. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on this being my favorite series of the 2021. I desperately hope for another season to be confirmed soon. I'd be curious to see whether @TheBardofBanefort has a source for that six season plan, because I would be honestly curious to see where they would go after season four.

What I will say is that I feel like this show is setting the gold standard for these kinds of sequel/spin-offs/soft reboot/revival (I have no idea what to call this really). Not only is it pretty great in its own right, it retroactively makes a lot of what came before even better. I have no special attachment to the originals, but I do remember 2 being pretty bad and I don't even know whether I ever saw 3... This season kind of makes me want to watch them again, with whole new eyes. It does a great job at mythologizing what came before, even though this is miles better than anything in the original Karate Kid series. If they manage to stick the landing on this, then it was a brilliant choice of Macchio and Zabka to get involved with this. Talk about building up your own legacy.

Now for some spoiler talk, which will be a lit more slanted to the negative, even though there is so much excellent stuff to focus on. I think there are three main problems I would focus on.

Spoiler

Unlike The Bard of Banefort, I'm not that big into Robbie. I still feel the actor is wrong for the role (He gives me Orlando Bloom vibes, namely pretty to look at, but not much skill), but I'll happily agree that his arc is the weakest of the entire series.

It starts off nicely, but then he disappears for like three episodes which is just weird. Especially because the show doesn't comment on it. If we would have at least seen Johny or Danny try and get in touch with him, that would have been okay, but the general amnesia surrounding the kid is just weird. I therefore agree that his shift to Kreese feels unearned, even though it works for the overall story. 

The other big problematic character is Torry. Don't know whether it is the actress or just the character, but I find her an unpalatable psycho. I seem to be siding completely with Sam who remarked that "everyone got a sob story, but that doesn't serve as an excuse to be a bully." and that is just weird to be honest. This show is so very clever at bridging the gap between perspectives, so it seems like a big fail. I'm not sure whether it isn't on the actress though... I mean, she's almost forced into prostitution, has a sick mother and kid brother to take care off and even then I don't give a shit about her. I'm not usually that heartless, so I don't know what the issue is there.

I hope those two issues won't collide next season, because it is a problem that all the characters we have come to care about are know fighting on the other side. Hawk on the other hand I thought was handled pretty well. The actor is quite good and the writing for that character is great. They slowly build up his disillusion with Cobra Kai and it comes out at quite a logical moment, after it is clear that he has no chance of ever becoming Kreese's new champion. It's clear that he's not even top three for Kreese. Robbie, Torrie and arguably the asian bully outrank him. 

The third problem, though it is less of a complaint for me, is that the amount of illegal stuff happening here is just baffling. The last episode for example has multiple cases of assault and battery, with aggravating factors like premeditation, property damage and the use of weapons. It's getting a bit too crazy, so I do hope that the fights next season will be more controlled (e.g. a tournament setting). That being said, for me this is a minor issue. I'm so invested in the emotional stakes that I'm willing to let it slide.

As to the good I would say that this show continues to be delightfully funny. I actually laughed out loud more than a few times, mostly with Johny's antics. Zabka is really marvelous in this role. For me he's still the main draw to this whole thing, although Macchio has grown on me. I think it is brilliant how both men seem to be equally wrong/right at any given time

Spoiler

You can bet your ass that I'm superhyped at them finally teaming up. Very curious to see how that goes! This series is so good at emotions (I agree with @Corvinus85 that LaRusso's stay in Japan was incredibly emotional), that I can't wait to see their rivalry finally blossom in something akin to brotherly friendship. 

A second strength of this season is how unexpected some of the twists and turns of this season were. I didn't really think it would end up the way it did. I would have guessed we would have ended things at another All Valley tournament, with Torry as the Cobra's champion and Robbie waiting in the wings to be taken in by Kreese next season.

I was also pretty convinced that Kreese flashbacks were going to tell us that he's in fact Johny's father, which is actually something I'd still like to see happen. There is otherwise no other way that I can imagine why a sociopath like that would be that interested in Johny for that long and give him multiple shots at joining him. It still might happen and it would fit in with the cycles of abuse theme that is indeed part & parcel of this show. 

I was also happy to see Ali again. She's a pretty great actress and I like how they kept her quite ambiguous. She gives the boys some great advice, but I still felt she was quite unlikable (a snob really) and used Johny for some post-divorce self-confidence boost. The amount she was in the season was excellent.

I want to ask everyone about their predictions:

Spoiler

Who would be the person Kreese would turn to in the end? I guess the most likely scenario is his buddy from Vietnam, whom I guess is one of the villains from Karate Kid III? Or would there be another claimant?

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

I feel like everyone is way too liberal with spoilers for a thread that isn't expressly marked to contain them. It's a great series, so let us not spoil this for anyone who comes here in good faith. 

I have just finished the season and I thought it was magnificent to be honest. Especially the first five episodes, which were essentially perfect. The latter half of the season does feature some problems, mostly related to two characters (I'll detail within spoiler tags), but all in all this is far superior to season two.

In my book, I'd say it even surpasses season one. It might only be the second day of the year, but I would be very pleasantly surprised if there is another series that I'll like as much as this season of Cobra Kai. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on this being my favorite series of the 2021. I desperately hope for another season to be confirmed soon. I'd be curious to see whether @TheBardofBanefort has a source for that six season plan, because I would be honestly curious to see where they would go after season four.

What I will say is that I feel like this show is setting the gold standard for these kinds of sequel/spin-offs/soft reboot/revival (I have no idea what to call this really). Not only is it pretty great in its own right, it retroactively makes a lot of what came before even better. I have no special attachment to the originals, but I do remember 2 being pretty bad and I don't even know whether I ever saw 3... This season kind of makes me want to watch them again, with whole new eyes. It does a great job at mythologizing what came before, even though this is miles better than anything in the original Karate Kid series. If they manage to stick the landing on this, then it was a brilliant choice of Macchio and Zabka to get involved with this. Talk about building up your own legacy.

Now for some spoiler talk, which will be a lit more slanted to the negative, even though there is so much excellent stuff to focus on. I think there are three main problems I would focus on.

Reveal hidden contents

Unlike The Bard of Banefort, I'm not that big into Robbie. I still feel the actor is wrong for the role (He gives me Orlando Bloom vibes, namely pretty to look at, but not much skill), but I'll happily agree that his arc is the weakest of the entire series.

It starts off nicely, but then he disappears for like three episodes which is just weird. Especially because the show doesn't comment on it. If we would have at least seen Johny or Danny try and get in touch with him, that would have been okay, but the general amnesia surrounding the kid is just weird. I therefore agree that his shift to Kreese feels unearned, even though it works for the overall story. 

The other big problematic character is Torry. Don't know whether it is the actress or just the character, but I find her an unpalatable psycho. I seem to be siding completely with Sam who remarked that "everyone got a sob story, but that doesn't serve as an excuse to be a bully." and that is just weird to be honest. This show is so very clever at bridging the gap between perspectives, so it seems like a big fail. I'm not sure whether it isn't on the actress though... I mean, she's almost forced into prostitution, has a sick mother and kid brother to take care off and even then I don't give a shit about her. I'm not usually that heartless, so I don't know what the issue is there.

I hope those two issues won't collide next season, because it is a problem that all the characters we have come to care about are know fighting on the other side. Hawk on the other hand I thought was handled pretty well. The actor is quite good and the writing for that character is great. They slowly build up his disillusion with Cobra Kai and it comes out at quite a logical moment, after it is clear that he has no chance of ever becoming Kreese's new champion. It's clear that he's not even top three for Kreese. Robbie, Torrie and arguably the asian bully outrank him. 

The third problem, though it is less of a complaint for me, is that the amount of illegal stuff happening here is just baffling. The last episode for example has multiple cases of assault and battery, with aggravating factors like premeditation, property damage and the use of weapons. It's getting a bit too crazy, so I do hope that the fights next season will be more controlled (e.g. a tournament setting). That being said, for me this is a minor issue. I'm so invested in the emotional stakes that I'm willing to let it slide.

As to the good I would say that this show continues to be delightfully funny. I actually laughed out loud more than a few times, mostly with Johny's antics. Zabka is really marvelous in this role. For me he's still the main draw to this whole thing, although Macchio has grown on me. I think it is brilliant how both men seem to be equally wrong/right at any given time

Reveal hidden contents

You can bet your ass that I'm superhyped at them finally teaming up. Very curious to see how that goes! This series is so good at emotions (I agree with @Corvinus85 that LaRusso's stay in Japan was incredibly emotional), that I can't wait to see their rivalry finally blossom in something akin to brotherly friendship. 

A second strength of this season is how unexpected some of the twists and turns of this season were. I didn't really think it would end up the way it did. I would have guessed we would have ended things at another All Valley tournament, with Torry as the Cobra's champion and Robbie waiting in the wings to be taken in by Kreese next season.

I was also pretty convinced that Kreese flashbacks were going to tell us that he's in fact Johny's father, which is actually something I'd still like to see happen. There is otherwise no other way that I can imagine why a sociopath like that would be that interested in Johny for that long and give him multiple shots at joining him. It still might happen and it would fit in with the cycles of abuse theme that is indeed part & parcel of this show. 

I was also happy to see Ali again. She's a pretty great actress and I like how they kept her quite ambiguous. She gives the boys some great advice, but I still felt she was quite unlikable (a snob really) and used Johny for some post-divorce self-confidence boost. The amount she was in the season was excellent.

Reveal hidden contents

Who would be the person Kreese would turn to in the end? I guess the most likely scenario is his buddy from Vietnam, whom I guess is one of the villains from Karate Kid III? Or would there be another claimant?

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2021/01/cobra-kai-creators-have-a-six-season-plan-says-ralph-macchio/

14 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Reveal hidden contents

Hide contents

Binged it last night/this morning and I have to agree that I think it is better than Season 2 possibly better than 1. I actually even liked Robbies arc even though I thought the character through two season was a massive douchecanoe.  Not much to really say that hasn't already been said other than small little remarks:

1) I loved Chozen (sp?) doing the honk thing back to Daniel.  Like absolutely loved it.

2) Ali revealing that her break up with Daniel was essentially the same as her breakup with Johnny.  Then Johnny having like a guffaw on realizing that.

3) Is Assface/Penisbreath finally going to stand up to Johnny and get his real name?

As to who Kreese called it has to be the soldier he saved.  But as to who that might be it kind of has to be wealthy businessman Terry Silver (main villain from Karate Kid 3) as it was established in 3 that he is a Vietnam war buddy of Kreese.  Would be even more amusing since the actor is so much younger than Kreese (and Macchio for that matter)

Finished, and what a wonderful start to the year for TV entertainment. I do agree that the first half is stronger, as some of the episodes in the second half have some weaknesses, but it did end on a strong note. I also agree the Robbie's story is by far the weakest, to the point that I nearly stopped caring about the character, unlike in the previous seasons when I rooted for him at times. That being said...

Spoiler

I do like that the showed touched on how fucked up correctional systems in America are. He gets his ass kicked every day in juvie, and only gets peace once he behaves in the same fuck-the-system thuggish manner.

Kreese is a great villain, one to love to hate with just enough there to pity the guy

Spoiler

This was helped by the flashbacks. He could have had a different life. Vietnam damaged him, and he had nobody to come back to that could have set him on a better path. But ultimately he is destroying the lives of others, so he will always remain the villain. 

I liked that he upped his snaky attitude, showed his cunning. Making even reasonable Amanda look like a Karen was brilliant.

@Veltigar Yes, that is whom Kreese will turn to.

Spoiler

Terry Silver. Having recently re-watched the 3rd movie, Silver is practically the main villain, even though Kreese is still there. Silver shows so much loyalty to Kreese in that movie together with his own brand of sociopathy, that he puts his busy life on hold to help Kreese get revenge on Daniel and Miyagi. It would be great to see Thomas Ian Griffith come back, too, for a season at least.

I love the misdirection with him in the flashbacks. I automatically assumed it was ponytail guy, and turned out to be the scrawny one.

Hawk must spend a fortune on hairspray.

51 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Hide contents

Terry Silver. Having recently re-watched the 3rd movie, Silver is practically the main villain, even though Kreese is still there. Silver shows so much loyalty to Kreese in that movie together with his own brand of sociopathy, that he puts his busy life on hold to help Kreese get revenge on Daniel and Miyagi. It would be great to see Thomas Ian Griffith come back, too, for a season at least.

I love the misdirection with him in the flashbacks. I automatically assumed it was ponytail guy, and turned out to be the scrawny one.

Spoiler

The ponytail is clearly a tribute.

I wonder if they will actually get Hillary Swank on at some point. That would be pretty rad.

It seems there is pretty much unanimous agreement here that Kreese 

Spoiler

is calling in Terry Silver once more. I wonder how they'll tie him into the narrative. i just read this while googling for some answers:

https://screenrant.com/cobra-kai-miguel-dad-terry-silver-theory/

I'd actually dig this. It would give Terry a shot at redemption as well I guess.

@Veltigar

I mean, she's almost forced into prostitution, has a sick mother and kid brother to take care off and even then I don't give a shit about her. I'm not usually that heartless, so I don't know what the issue is there.

Part of the problem with Tory is that we never really see her taking care of her family directly.  Showing love to her Mother and Brother.  We just see her tired and angry.  You see the other sides of the other characters with people outside the dojos.  All we get of Tory is angry/bitter/psycho...

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

@Veltigar

Hide contents

Part of the problem with Tory is that we never really see her taking care of her family directly.  Showing love to her Mother and Brother.  We just see her tired and angry.  You see the other sides of the other characters with people outside the dojos.  All we get of Tory is angry/bitter/psycho...

That is actually a very astute observation. Thanks Ser Scot, this explanation makes a ton of sense :) 

Have to say I liked this for all the same reasons as everyone here. I like how they have been able to tie in the movies to the current show so well and build on those stories.

Spoiler

But I would not have been happy if Johnny got the tomato sauce treatment at the country club, would have been tooo much.

I also find myself wanting to watch part 2-3 of the movies again just to see some of the stuff i don't remember. The original is the only one I have ever seen more than once, and probably for a reason! 

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

Have to say I liked this for all the same reasons as everyone here. I like how they have been able to tie in the movies to the current show so well and build on those stories.

Hide contents

But I would not have been happy if Johnny got the tomato sauce treatment at the country club, would have been tooo much.

I also find myself wanting to watch part 2-3 of the movies again just to see some of the stuff i don't remember. The original is the only one I have ever seen more than once, and probably for a reason! 

Honestly, it feels that what has been done with this show is the gold standard on how to revere, yet actually move beyond, the nostalgia of the 80s.  Be it a reboot, continuation, or sequel.

35 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Honestly, it feels that what has been done with this show is the gold standard on how to revere, yet actually move beyond, the nostalgia of the 80s.  Be it a reboot, continuation, or sequel.

They’ve taken the existing cardboard black and white story and deepened it.  They’ve gently retconned the original films without rejected established canon.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

They’ve taken the existing cardboard black and white story and deepened it.  They’ve gently retconned the original films without rejected established canon.

Insert standard rant on Star Wars here :P

14 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Insert standard rant on Star Wars here :P

I almost did this with my post, mentioning

Spoiler

How Cobra Kai touches on the story from the movie but changes it enough and does plenty of new stuff so it doesn't feel like The Force Awakens was Star Wars 2.0

Oh, and had a crush 

Spoiler

on Ali with an I since Karate Kid so I was glad to see her back. I almost thought she was the Dr. being flown in from out of state, not sure why I thought that though.

Archived