Cobra Kai

GoTCannibal

13 minutes ago, The Grey Wolf said:

Loved the finale. Cobra Kai not getting charged with willful destruction of property as well as assault and battery baffles me though.

You mean what happened in the finale? I think the season ended too abruptly to allow for that, much like how we saw the additional consequences of the school fight only this season. 

Spoiler

And Kreese could also file charges against Johnny and Daniel for attacking him in his dojo.

2 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

@Corvinus85

True. I just wonder how it'll get addressed.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

I imagine it will get brushed under the rug or...

Hide contents

The all valley conference will be cancelled for sure

Spoiler

But that destruction of property happened at Daniel's house, and there was the fight at the Cobra Kai dojo. Since the parties seemed to have agreed to settle their differences at the tournament, none of this may even make it to the police or the city.

We're watching a karate soap opera. It's not 100% the real world.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Hide contents

But that destruction of property happened at Daniel's house, and there was the fight at the Cobra Kai dojo. Since the parties seemed to have agreed to settle their differences at the tournament, none of this may even make it to the police or the city.

We're watching a karate soap opera. It's not 100% the real world.

That's my point also.

Spoiler

That they will choose not to call the cops because if they do, then the tourney is cancelled. Of course the other kids parents will have a lot to say about it.

Giving Daniel a second kid seems like a huge mistake in retrospect. Nothing against the actor, but they clearly have no idea what to do with him, and with all the focus given to Daniel and Amanda's relationship with Sam, it's weird just how little attention they pay to their younger child lol.

I wish we didn't have to wait a year to find out what happens next. I'm willing to bet that the show won't premiere on New Year's next year, though; even though it got good ratings, season three did seem to slip under the radar quite a bit, especially compared to the original Netflix drop last fall. If they could manage to get the next season out by September again, I suspect it would do really well, but I don't think that will be happening.

3 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Giving Daniel a second kid seems like a huge mistake in retrospect. Nothing against the actor, but they clearly have no idea what to do with him, and with all the focus given to Daniel and Amanda's relationship with Sam, it's weird just how little attention they pay to their younger child lol.

I wish we didn't have to wait a year to find out what happens next. I'm willing to bet that the show won't premiere on New Year's next year, though; even though it got good ratings, season three did seem to slip under the radar quite a bit, especially compared to the original Netflix drop last fall. If they could manage to get the next season out by September again, I suspect it would do really well, but I don't think that will be happening.

Not sure where you get the slipping under the radar thing. Did you read the above post? Maybe not everyone started watching it on day 1 of release, which could simply have to do with it being the first day of the year.

I have a feeling the non-presence of Daniel's son will become a running joke in the show.

20 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I agree and often wonder what the point of this character is. He seems just to exist purely to fill up space and they've not even attempted to give him anything close to a story arc. In a way he sort of reminds me of how Rickon was treated on AGoT's.

That being said, he's only a minor issue I have with the show. Over all I just pretend he doesn't exist most of the time (like the writers do) and just enjoy the characters we do get to spend most of our time with.

Okay...I'm not suggesting that this is a strong idea, but thematically I think the purpose of the second child, the son who is nothing but a videogamer with seemingly nothing but money and materialism on his mind, is meant to be a commentary on today's youth and how there isn't enough of them in wholesome (!) activities like karate...

Ok, I am necroing this thread for selfish reasons.

I just finished S2 and I am so torn on if I want to keep going.  I have enjoyed it, wackiness and all.  But not one character has shown any growth and it is kind of a downer. 

Does every character continue to just become a worse human, or is there finally some growth in season 3 for someone, anyone?

8 minutes ago, SkynJay said:

I just finished S2 and I am so torn on if I want to keep going.  I have enjoyed it, wackiness and all.  But not one character has shown any growth and it is kind of a downer. 

Does every character continue to just become a worse human, or is there finally some growth in season 3 for someone, anyone?

No spoilers, but yes, for several characters.

47 minutes ago, SkynJay said:

You think Johnny is a worse human after season 2?  :blink:

53 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

You think Johnny is a worse human after season 2?  :blink:

I would say all the kids and Daniel are.  Even the Dr Who kid was taunting Hawk during that brawl. Johnny may be the one exception, but at best in a one step forward, two back kind of way.  

Decided to watch this after hearing all of you raving about it. I watched the Karate Kid movies plenty of times as a kid, and I love my 80's nostalgia and music, but having this be a Youtube thing meant I never bothered. The move to Netflix was a big one for it, I think.

In any case, absolutely loved the first season of it. Just a brilliant way to revisit these iconic 80s films, imagining how it all panned out 35 years later, fleshing out the characters. William Zabka reprising Johnny and infusing him with energy of Al Bundy or one of those characters from Springsteen's "Glory Days" was spot on. The writers have done a terrific job.

Season 2 was also pretty good, I thought. The return of Kreese was handled well. 

Season 3 is where I found my binging speed slowing, to be honest. I think, as others remarked, certain characters had story lines that felt very thin (Robbie) and there was a disconnection from some stories 

Spoiler

I strongly felt that Miguel was basically completely avoided by all of his friends until after he was walking again, at which point the drama of that was basically rendered null. He was not a sufficient presence in other stories, IMO.

I enjoyed it, but not as much as the prior seasons. I also feel that a 6 season plan feels ... long for this show, but maybe it can (for me) rebound with S4 and reveal some new way of going forward. Right now, it feels like S4 ought to be leading up to an ending, but who knows, they'll no doubt find some way to surprise us.

Wonder if Robyn Lively will be making an appearance in S4? Had such a crush on her back in the day...

I realize this show requires a certain level of suspension of disbelief in order to work, but what was the point of Miguel's injury? He's exactly the same as before: still a great fighter, same personality, same friends. Unless they've already run out of ideas for his character and this was just a way to turn Robby to the dark side, I don't really see the pay-off.

On 1/19/2021 at 2:48 PM, Ran said:

Hide contents

I strongly felt that Miguel was basically completely avoided by all of his friends until after he was walking again, at which point the drama of that was basically rendered null. He was not a sufficient presence in other stories, IMO.

This is a good point, and you would think that Miguel would be a little upset that none of his friends except for Hawk and Sam checked up on him. One of the scenes I liked this season that I haven't seen brought up by anyone else is when Miguel finally came face-to-face with Tori, and he really did seem quite sad about the way their relationship ended, and that she didn't come to visit him in the hospital.

On 1/16/2021 at 11:06 AM, sifth said:

I agree and often wonder what the point of this character is. He seems just to exist purely to fill up space and they've not even attempted to give him anything close to a story arc. In a way he sort of reminds me of how Rickon was treated on AGoT's.

That being said, he's only a minor issue I have with the show. Over all I just pretend he doesn't exist most of the time (like the writers do) and just enjoy the characters we do get to spend most of our time with.

He's getting a dog next season, the name leaked...Shaggy dog....

Archived