Cobra Kai

GoTCannibal

As long as they have someone who is just a bad guy. I mean the karate kid movies were about actually fighting some one dimensional over the top villains. But my guess is they will bring back Barnes and then they’ll redeem Silver. Then they’ll probably try to find some way to make Barnes look good. With Chozen and Kreese now they’re already 2/3 of the way there.

On another matter I’m thinking they need to bring in some new students especially for Cobra Kai. For right now Kreese ain’t leading anything and I could see Tory going back to him when Stingray tells the truth. But right now Tory and Robby are both not going to stick with Silver. So Silver has Kenny and Kyler. Kenny has some potential but unless he grows a lot I just don’t see him as a threat to Robby, Hawk and Miguel. Kyler is just a clown villain and is just filler at this point. So right now Cobra Kai lacks any strong fighter since I think their two top ones are going to ditch Terry.

16 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I actually like what they've done with Chozen...and it isn't that much as of yet.  His redemption arc makes sense.  Kreese?  I really don't know...Silver won't be redeemed.  

I mean, do you even need to redeem Silver at this point? He's got serious mental issues that are the cause of his villainous acts. That's not exactly something you can/need to be redeemed for/off.

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I mean, do you even need to redeem Silver at this point? He's got serious mental issues that are the cause of his villainous acts. That's not exactly something you can/need to be redeemed for/off.

Not everyone needs to be redeemed...though if somehow he dies fighting against the heroes trying to further his evil schemes...but then Tory inherits all of his money somehow...?  People will say that was a redemption of sorts...?  I don't know.

The way Silver is set up the guy could just walk away from everything again. He did it before, and at heart he obviously knows that what he is doing makes no sense at all.

Unless, of course, what he actually starts doing now does make sense.

20 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

The way Silver is set up the guy could just walk away from everything again. He did it before, and at heart he obviously knows that what he is doing makes no sense at all.

Unless, of course, what he actually starts doing now does make sense.

I think that's quite difficult for him to do that given his mental issues. It took him years of hard work on himself to get somewhere where his obsession with Cobra Kai didn't consume him, so that's not something that is easy to do.

Silver intends to turn Cobra Kai into a big business so he won't be walking away so easily. Last time he walked away because Kreese left and the dream seemed to evaporate. Now Silver pushed Kreese away on purpose so the situation is different. 

5 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I think that's quite difficult for him to do that given his mental issues. It took him years of hard work on himself to get somewhere where his obsession with Cobra Kai didn't consume him, so that's not something that is easy to do.

So far I think Silver's issue with Cobra Kai are about it being a business and a working 'philosophy of life' - not a tool to get even with your High School enemies or settle other personal scores.

I expect him to fight the good guys with all he's got if they interfere with his business plans ... but he isn't personally involved the way Kreese was. If his business plan failed - and not so much because of the good guys but because folks just don't want to do karate anymore - then I could see him walking away quietly.

Not that I expect that to happen - but for Silver to be really personally involved more stuff has to happen. So far he is behaving very professionally although somewhat nasty occasionally. And I certainly don't blame him for Kreese. The guy had it coming.

25 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Absolutely destroying Stingray and making him lie to get Kreese arrested is, "very professional"...?

No, that's the somewhat nasty part. :P 

Edit: it's not so much whether it's professional, he's playing the ruthless, conniving businessman.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:57 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Absolutely destroying Stingray and making him lie to get Kreese arrested is, "very professional"...?

I actually thought they made a deal there - Stingray becomes a real Cobra Kai and they both get rid of/punish Kreese.

Because it is quite clear, I think, that Stingray very much wanted this. He isn't broken into betraying Kreese by Silver, they make a deal and Stingray is a willing participant.

Thinking about that - I certainly could see Stingray becoming Silver's right-hand man in the next season. The guy running the enterprise with him, doing PR for the brand, etc.

I'd also say that Silver is better guy than Kreese insofar as his treatment of Stingray is concerned. Silver's Cobra Kai is supposed to be open to all, one imagines, or rather, perhaps, to all who espouse the philosophies. You don't have to be a super fighter to be worthy of Silver's Cobra Kai. It is supposed to be less elitist than Kreese's version.

12 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Seriously, you think Stingray willingly entered into a deal to betray the sensei who was there when he joined CK? No, Stingray was beaten and coerced. He was crying when he gave up Kreese's name.

But why did Silver then repeat that he was making Stingray a Cobra Kai when he was beating him up? That only makes sense, I think, if Stingray can be a part of Cobra Kai once Kreese is gone, no?

Kreese was the one who humiliated and dismissed Stingray in front of the others.

I honestly think Stingray is giving a show to the cops. He weeps to make his story more believable, and he does it because he and Silver made a deal. I could be wrong, though.

Well, there's that sycophant aspect to Stingray...and he was eager to do whatever it took to get back into Cobra Kai...but you can tell that he had no clue that Silver was going to essentially beat him within an inch of his life...think Reek.  Stingray is more of a Reek.  Letting Silver beat on him was his way of showing he still believed in what Silver was giving him.

And it wasn't "professional" of Silver to enter into such an agreement...

20 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Well, there's that sycophant aspect to Stingray...and he was eager to do whatever it took to get back into Cobra Kai...but you can tell that he had no clue that Silver was going to essentially beat him within an inch of his life...think Reek.  Stingray is more of a Reek.  Letting Silver beat on him was his way of showing he still believed in what Silver was giving him.

I'm open to it that this is how it is going to go. And I certainly didn't want to imply that Silver explained what he was doing before the beating. I rather imagine he beat him up and then told him that he could be a real Cobra Kai if he was taking his pain like a man and would accuse Kreese. And I expect him to be rewarded for this 'loyalty'.

20 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

And it wasn't "professional" of Silver to enter into such an agreement...

Of course not, but that was Silver's way to stab back at Kreese for his ugly attempt to manipulate him with the Vietnam guilt thing. Silver didn't give me the impression in the show so far that he would sink as low as Kreese unless he was pushed before by somebody like Kreese.

I could be wrong, of course, perhaps I just like Silver too much - he gives me a kind of pleasant Christopher Walken vibe, so I cannot really view him as a really bad villain. Especially not considering how his plot started out in the season.

• 3 months later...

Archived