Cobra Kai

GoTCannibal

Count me in as someone who went from pleasantly surprised to blown away by Cobra Kai. 

So much fun--and surprisingly nuanced characters, given the source material. 

Never thought I'd be rooting for both Daniel AND Johnny. 

Really fun--and a few moments where I got legit chills. Loved that they kept the original score. 

• 6 months later...

Rolled my eyes when I heard they were making this, but decided to give it a chance on a recommendation from a friend. Not ashamed to say I binged the entire thing in a day!  A very fun show with surprisingly good humour - Johnny's character was hilarious.  I like how neither Johnny or Daniel are "bad" or "good" guys, though I expect Kreese will be a nailed on antagonist next season. 

One thing I hated was how they had Miguel suddenly turn into a douchebag at the drop of a hat in the final episode, just in order to show Johnny how his teaching methods aren't ideal and also allow Daniel & other kid to score the moral victory.  It felt rushed and out of character.

23 hours ago, dooog said:

Rolled my eyes when I heard they were making this, but decided to give it a chance on a recommendation from a friend. Not ashamed to say I binged the entire thing in a day!  A very fun show with surprisingly good humour - Johnny's character was hilarious.  I like how neither Johnny or Daniel are "bad" or "good" guys, though I expect Kreese will be a nailed on antagonist next season. 

One thing I hated was how they had Miguel suddenly turn into a douchebag at the drop of a hat in the final episode, just in order to show Johnny how his teaching methods aren't ideal and also allow Daniel & other kid to score the moral victory.  It felt rushed and out of character.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly 

On 12/7/2018 at 3:50 PM, dooog said:

Now it could be that I haven't watched it since it came out but I thought Miguel was a douche pretty much from like episode 3 on.

55 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Now it could be that I haven't watched it since it came out but I thought Miguel was a douche pretty much from like episode 3 on.

naaaaaah. we was a pretty good kid, didnt really start feelin himself till he kicked everyone's ass in like ep 6, and then turned into super douche when he started feeling threatened by Johnny's (equally douchy) kid. 

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

He's a good kid right up until E9 when he sees Johnny's son having dinner with Daniel and family and understandably thinks his girlfriend is dicking him around, then he later behaves like a prick because he's drunk. Next episode he turns into a complete asshole right before the final fight.

• 4 months later...

I've only watched the first episode, the only one free. But I'll sign up for premium this weekend, and watch the rest.

Really good start, although

Spoiler

They kinda made Kreese more of a badass than I remembered. Sure, he was a Vietnman veteran, but his idea of travelling the world to reflect on stuff after losing Kobra Kai is to go do black ops missions and train Navy SEALs. A bit too far fetched, imo.

29 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

I’ve finished it. It’s good but not as good as season 1. A bit heavier on the melodrama an lighter in the humor.

Spoiler ep 6(I think)

Hide contents

They put Tommy from the original movie in a bodybag.

I finished the last episode on my way to work and holy fuck.

I really liked this second season. It's amazing how the screenwriters manage to have both sides make mistakes and still remain sympathetic. There are a few characters which I'd consider to be villains, but even there they do manage to slightly humanise them.  

Spoiler

I wasn't that shocked by the ending. As soon as they started fighting on the staircase I was sure something like a tragic fall would happen. I had not expected it to be Miguel to take the fall though, I thought Tory was a strong candidate as soon as she pulled out that douche bracelet of hers.

4 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I really liked this second season. It's amazing how the screenwriters manage to have both sides make mistakes and still remain sympathetic. There are a few characters which I'd consider to be villains, but even there they do manage to slightly humanise them.  

Reveal hidden contents

I wasn't that shocked by the ending. As soon as they started fighting on the staircase I was sure something like a tragic fall would happen. I had not expected it to be Miguel to take the fall though, I thought Tory was a strong candidate as soon as she pulled out that douche bracelet of hers.

I had that same feeling towards the end. But when the episode started I had no clue it was going to get so dark. 

Finished it, and what a great season, a number of solid twists, again. I wonder what the consequences of the ending will be.

Spoiler

Really Kobra Kai under Kreese should not have any business competing again. I don't know if Daniel is still on that board, but if he is, and maybe he could get Johnny to speak up, maybe he'll get them banned again. And considering what happened, dojos around the city may suffer.

I wonder what happened to Robbie. Fled? Arrested? 

Dimitri finally standing up to Hawk was the greatest moment. 

Btw, when Stingray was fist introduced, as the employee at that superstore, I thought to myself, that's us, meaning us the audience. For a short time he was relatable, until he actually got weird. It doesn't look like he got arrested for assaulting kids.

Stingrai was annoying on first appearance, but he grew on me I have to admit :D 

On 4/26/2019 at 8:51 PM, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Hide contents

I had that same feeling towards the end. But when the episode started I had no clue it was going to get so dark. 

Yeah, I get that. Just a proof how great this show is. A shame it's languishing on Youtube Red. It deserves more viewers.

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

Stingrai was annoying on first appearance, but he grew on me I have to admit :D 

Yeah, I get that. Just a proof how great this show is. A shame it's languishing on Youtube Red. It deserves more viewers.

I think the first episode got 14 million viewers in the first 24 hours. People get scared off by having to pay for it. 

Archived