Outlandish Theories

Brynden Blackfyre

4 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

I do remember a theory where it’s not Robert’s head but Robb Stark’s head. Joffrey did make a request for the head to be sent to King’s Landing...

Sure, that's another one that has been floated.  I think Bobby B has a slight edge for shock and horror.   

20 hours ago, LynnS said:

My outlandish theory is that Qyburn attached Robert Baratheon's head to Gregor Clegane's body.   Hence the name Robert Strong who was also known for fathering 16 bastards.  Woe to Cersei when that chicken comes home to roost.

Nicely noticed!

1 hour ago, Brynden Blackfyre said:

Was there anyone really that saw Ashara jumping and dying? I don't think anyone actually saw that. Maybe she is still alive.

Lemore, anyone? 

You can't hide your purple eyes
And your smile is a thin disguise
I thought by now you'd realize
There ain't no way to hide your purple eyes

6 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Lemore, anyone? 

I cannot comprehend your meaning m'lord

I am afraid I'm just a Commoner, unlike m'lord

3 minutes ago, Brynden Blackfyre said:

I cannot comprehend your meaning m'lord

I am afraid I'm just a Commoner, unlike m'lord

You know the band The Eagles, right? And their song, Lyin' Eyes right? Well, those are the lyrics to the refrain, just substituting purple for lyin'. 

See, Ashara had haunting violet eyes. So, if she's still around incognito, her eyes ought to be noted. 

A lot of folks suspect Lemore is Ashara. But Tyrion describes her in great detail (I am still upset that HBO after dark omitted Lemore, but I digress), but he fails to mention her eyes. Maybe the giant of Lannister is a breast man, but this is a strong counter to the Ashara = Lemore theory. 

Now, fetch me a breastplate stretcher. 

12 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Now for one of my favorites...

Gerold Dayne, the Darkstar (or Dorkstar, if you prefer). Who is he, this "of the night" guy with whom Arianne could have had children as beautiful as dragonlords? We have it from Ran that Darkstar is no one's bastard. The guy is associated with venom, says he was weaned on it, Doran thinks him the most dangerous man in Dorne, he has a widow's peak and silver hair with a streak of black. He is not of Starfall, but of High Hermitage.

Several lovely ideas have been shot down, the most fun of which having been that he and Viserys Targaryen were switched at/near birth/weaning. Sadly, Darkstar is too old to be Viserys.

Crackpot #1. You know what would make more sense? If he's the only son, and only legitimate child of Oberyn Martell, from a secret marriage to a lady of House Dayne of High Hermitage. Why would Oberyn marry someone secretly? Beats me. Couldn't get permission from her father maybe. Why would he marry anyone anyway? Again, don't know. But this would make Darkstar a legitimate potential claimant to Sunspear and the throne of Dorne. That and the whole weaned on venom, son of the viper, badass would-be assassin thing, combine nicely to make him dangerous. Because as of the text we have, I'm not seeing him as dangerous unless he knows something major that would interfere with all of Doran's plans.

Crackpot #2. Darkstar is a Targaryen descendant of much more recent blood than the Martells. You know who he almost, kind of, a little bit reminds me of...if you add a ton of crazy and some more entitlement? Aerion. We don't have any idea what happened to Maegor, but even without him we've got Rhae and Daella's descendants out there somewhere.  Could be somebody married south. 

Crackpot #3. He's just a boring old Dayne, with no connection to anyone remotely interesting and Doran is lying when he says Gerold is the most dangerous man in Dorne. Personally, I find this one lacking in zest.

I remember a story where Darkstar is none of these, but he is actually the son of Brandon Stark and Ashara Dayne, which explains his dark hair with a silver streak; he's made somewhat younger for the purposes of adding in the Tourney at Harrenhal and disguised as a Dayne of High Hermitage. 

Oh, I have one more outlandish theory; plausible, but more outlandish:

Marwyn is the the dwarf maester who served at the fingers.  Littlefinger would have needed someone especially skilled after being expelled from Riverrun injured as he was after fighting Brandon.

Tyrion mentions hearing about a dwarf maester but it's not clear if Marwyn fits that physical description from Sam.  Marwyn is short and stout with the largest hands Sam had ever seen.  This could be a matter of proportion rather than overly large hands.  Marwyn seems to have some characteristis of dwarfism; but he may be only  dwarf-ish in size and proportion. 

Which brings me to my next outlandish theory:  Marwyn is the valonqar.  We're told that the valonqar means 'little brother'.  Well if you are travelling out east as a maester (a brotherhood), and you are short in stature; they might call you 'little brother' in another language.

Cersei's dreams of being strangled by her little brother may have nothing to do with Tyrion or Jaimie.

The outlandish theory that cracks me up the most is that Marwyn is really Tywin Lannister's son and this is why he hates dwarves so much.   All dwarves are bastards in their father's eyes according to Tyrion and Joanna Lannister is quite certain that Tyrion is Tywin's son.  She laughs about it.  Perhaps Tyrion isn't the first bastard to be sired by Tywin, now that we know he secretly keeps whores on side.   

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Lemore, anyone? 

Le more in Italian, le mûre in French, la mora in Spanish, morum in Latin - blackberry.

Didn't you had a theory, that blackberries are a hint to Blackfyres?

2 hours ago, Megorova said:

Le more in Italian, le mûre in French, la mora in Spanish, morum in Latin - blackberry.

Didn't you had a theory, that blackberries are a hint to Blackfyres?

Blackberries associated Blackfyres is not my theory. Some believe blackberries are associated with Blackfyres because Lord Osgrey, who rode with Daemon in the First Blackfyre Rebellion, buried his sons among the Blackberries at Standfast. 

But your translation from Italian is very interesting...

I have noted this about blackberries on the past: Blackberries are often used in literature to symbolize ignorance and/or arrogance. With that in mind, check out the scene before Tyrion's trial in the Vale...

Pitchers of thick cream and baskets of blackberries had been set out, and the guests were sipping a sweet orange-scented wine from engraved silver cups. A fool's festival, Brynden had called it, and small wonder.

Across the terrace, Lysa laughed gaily at some jest of Lord Hunter's, and nibbled a blackberry from the point of Ser Lyn Corbray's dagger.

Catelyn VII, Game 40

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

But your translation from Italian is very interesting...

That's actually Google's translation :) I don't know Italian. I just thought, that Lemore's alias could mean something, in some different language. So I tried a few things in Google Translator, and turned out that I was right.

For example Quaithe - separate it - the quai. Quai - dock in French. (Dock is a structure extending alongshore or out from the shore into a body of water, to which boats may be moored.) So could be a hint that Quaithe is Shiera Seastar.

Shiera - in Japanese - シエラ - chain of mountains, or ghat/ghaut i.e. - pier on the river. Basically it's the same thing as a sea-dock.

Varys - in Lithuanian - copys, i.e. the powers, authorization, full power, office.

Ilyrio - with 1 L - in greek - slurry.

Rhaegar - in Welsh - spoiled.

Drogo - in Polish - expensive, high price, dear.

Bronn - in Welsh - prize.

I have a theory on Asshai: 

A ancient race harnessed the powers of the volcanoes . This gave them great controll over fire and might be connected to the origins of dragons . 

But one day they discovered another form of fire magic, shadow magic. Shadow can be considered the dark side of fire.

The ancient Asshai'i prefered shadow over natural fire and eventually the shadow came out of controll. It started to corrupt the enviorment and the ones who used this magic was corrupted into demons. 

You can compare the shadow with Tolkien's unlight . Unlight is a twisted terrible form of darkness. 

It became so terrible that it needed to be fought back and contained. This was the eastern theatre of the Long night and Azor Ahai was the hero who saved Asshai from the shadow. 

Melisandre says that the Wall and Asshai are hinges of the world. Imo the hinges are something the world needs to survive. If the Wall falls the Others attack and might destroy mankind . 

I think it's the same thing with Asshai. It serves the same purpose as the Wall. I suggest that Asshai is what stopping the shadow from spreading and the Shadowbinders are the ones containing the shadow , they are binding the shadow to one place . 

Maybe that's why Quathie wants Dany to Asshai , so that she can defeat the shadow once and for all. 

If Quathie is Shiera Seastar then it is a nice paralell with Bloodraven. The two siblings are working to save the world from destructive forces. 

25 minutes ago, LordImp said:

I have a theory on Asshai: 

A ancient race harnessed the powers of the volcanoes . This gave them great controll over fire and might be connected to the origins of dragons . 

But one day they discovered another form of fire magic, shadow magic. Shadow can be considered the dark side of fire.

The ancient Asshai'i prefered shadow over natural fire and eventually the shadow came out of controll. It started to corrupt the enviorment and the ones who used this magic was corrupted into demons. 

You can compare the shadow with Tolkien's unlight . Unlight is a twisted terrible form of darkness. 

It became so terrible that it needed to be fought back and contained. This was the eastern theatre of the Long night and Azor Ahai was the hero who saved Asshai from the shadow. 

Melisandre says that the Wall and Asshai are hinges of the world. Imo the hinges are something the world needs to survive. If the Wall falls the Others attack and might destroy mankind . 

I think it's the same thing with Asshai. It serves the same purpose as the Wall. I suggest that Asshai is what stopping the shadow from spreading and the Shadowbinders are the ones containing the shadow , they are binding the shadow to one place . 

Maybe that's why Quathie wants Dany to Asshai , so that she can defeat the shadow once and for all. 

If Quathie is Shiera Seastar then it is a nice paralell with Bloodraven. The two siblings are working to save the world from destructive forces. 

If Quaithe wants Daenerys to go to Asshai, shouldn't she sell it a little harder? 

Like you, most of us seem to agree with Daenerys that Quaithe was advising her to go to Asshai to gain knowledge...

Asshai, Dany thought. She would have me go to Asshai. "Will the Asshaii give me an army? she demanded. Will there be gold for me in Asshai? Will there be ships? What is there in Asshai that I will not find in Qarth?"

"Truth," said the woman in the mask. And bowing, she faded back into the crowd.

But Quaithe never actually advised Daenerys to go to Asshai. In fact, she would later advise Daenerys to remember who she is: the blood of The Dragon. That suggests that she should go to Westeros. Rather, Quaithe suggested that Daenerys would not find truth in Qarth.

5 hours ago, Megorova said:

"Mûre" is female in French (la mûre; une mûre), no link possible for a french ear; actually "Lemore" sounds exactly like "le mort"  = the dead man.

8 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

"Mûre" is female in French (la mûre; une mûre), no link possible for a french ear; actually "Lemore" sounds exactly like "le mort"  = the dead man.

Google translates 'le mûre' from French to English as 'the blackberry'. And woman as la femme, female - femelle.

If GRRM was using as names or aliases for his characters, words from different languages, then probably he was using online translators or paper vocabularies, and he doesn't actually know all those languages, from which he took a few words.

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

For example Quaithe - separate it - the quai. Quai - dock in French. (Dock is a structure extending alongshore or out from the shore into a body of water, to which boats may be moored.) So could be a hint that Quaithe is Shiera Seastar.

Actually no. Quai and dock are two different things in French. No one would call the famous "Quais de la Seine", "Dock of the Seine".

In French a dock is a basin surrounded by quays used to load/unload ships, when a "quai" is the masonry work raised along a stream or in a port, used to moor boats.

Archived