Targaryen Kings and their Historical Counterparts

James Steller

If you can, find a historical equivalent for each Targaryen ruler that has existed in the history of Westeros, and explain your choices.

I'll start with the ones I can identify:

Maegor the Cruel - Ivan the Terrible (most of his children died at one or two years old, he had a decent early reign but then lost himself to paranoia and rage after his first wife died, most of his wives died before him, and he died under mysterious circumstances)

Aegon II (and Rhaenyra) - King Stephen of England and Empress Maude (cousins who fought a civil war for the throne of England, both became unpopular with the people but Maude moreso, and she wasn't officially crowned Queen of England. Not to mention her son became ruler after Stephen died, just like Aegon III)

Baelor the Blessed - Feodor of Russia (both were very pious men, beloved for their faith, but also mentally unstable and unfit to rule their respective kingdoms. They were also childless, dying young, and a new branch of the dynasty began with their deaths).

Aegon I: William the Conqueror. Conquered the seven kingdoms of the Anglo-Saxons under one banner, and brought in a new fighting style: heavy cavalry. Aegon conquers the Seven kingdoms and brings dragons into the equation.

Jaehaerys I: Henry II. Acceded to the throne after a war over succession, codified law in Westeros/England, had a politically powerful wife.

8 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Aegon I: William the Conqueror. Conquered the seven kingdoms of the Anglo-Saxons under one banner, and brought in a new fighting style: heavy cavalry. Aegon conquers the Seven kingdoms and brings dragons into the equation.

Jaehaerys I: Henry II. Acceded to the throne after a war over succession, codified law in Westeros/England, had a politically powerful wife.

Jahaerys doesn’t work as Henry II because he was beloved by the realm and had a decent relationship with the Faith of the Seven, especially through his friendship with a common septon. Henry II was loathed by the end of his reign, was dealing with all his sons rebelling against him, and got himself caught up in the murder of Thomas Beckett.

Archived