Video Games: A Far Cry From E3

KiDisaster

I only ever bought it on PS3. If it ever drops below 30 bucks in a steam sale I might buy it for PC but I haven't seen that happen yet. 

I've seen it drop down to £20 a couple of times in a Steam sale and cheaper than that with boxed copies on Amazon. Worth keeping an eye out for it. The PC and current-gen versions are a massive step up over the previous-gen versions.

But what i'm hoping we'll see that isn't even confirmed at this point is a new Fallout game, maybe a Spin off like New Vegas or maybe a complete Remake off the first two fallout games. But knowing most of the newer fans wouldn't buy it, since they're RTS games and mostly younger and newer fans would never touch it.

The first two games are RPGs as well, not RTS. They are played from an elevated, isometric perspective but they are certainly still RPGs (unlike Fallout 4, which is essentially an FPS with dialogue choices).

For a spin-off, it seems unlikely. Bethesda seem to be seriously angry that New Vegas is routinely cited as superior to either of their efforts (especially FO4) and the reputation hit they took over the NV bonus payment fiasco (which nearly tanked Obsidian). Obsidian like to talk about what they'd do in a new game, like a more chaotic one set in the ruins of Los Angeles or one set in Louisiana which would be more horrific or creepy, and they generally sound better than the ideas Bethesda come up with as well.

Remakes of the first two games are possible, but I think people who are really after that should check out Wasteland 2 and 3 instead.

5 hours ago, Alcibiades said:

Ha, ok, not much to go on, except that it will have something to do with east Asia and not be sci fi.

Anyway, Sega announced tonight that they're putting out Shenmue 1 and 2 on modern platforms. I liked Shenmue back in the day. I played some of Shenmue 2 and always sort of meant to go back and finish it. I don't know though. I just think those games would feel colossally dated now. Apparently they're going to refresh the graphics a little bit and add "modern" controls, but I think the pacing will be all off and the gameplay just not engaging enough. 

Well, they need to get people caught up for Shenmue 3 (this year, apparently), so that makes sense.

Goddamnit, I'm thinking of subscribing to WoW again. It's like a disease I can never fully shake off.

Meantime, I broke my "no early access" rule for Slay the Spire (but in fairness, it's a fully functional rogue-like, so it has a full gaming experience). It's really good. I've played 19 times and won 3 runs so far on the base difficulty, runs take about 40-50 minutes if you can actually make the end (At least for me, I've seen speedruns way faster).

59 minutes ago, Fez said:

Goddamnit, I'm thinking of subscribing to WoW again. It's like a disease I can never fully shake off.

Meantime, I broke my "no early access" rule for Slay the Spire (but in fairness, it's a fully functional rogue-like, so it has a full gaming experience). It's really good. I've played 19 times and won 3 runs so far on the base difficulty, runs take about 40-50 minutes if you can actually make the end (At least for me, I've seen speedruns way faster).

When’s the new expansion hit?

18 minutes ago, Rhom said:

When’s the new expansion hit?

August 14.

I assume there will be a big gameplay/balance patch sometime before then though, maybe with the opening scenario included (like pre-Legion had). My understanding is that four of the new races are already playable (not sure how many more are being introduced)

Also, apparently the classes aren't being totally reworked this expansion. Instead the big gameplay change is that nearly all of the off-cooldown abilities are being brought back on to the global cooldown. The devs have said they want to lessen player reliance on burst damage and want to slowdown the pace of combat to make each button choice more meaningful. No idea how that'll work.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

August 14.

I assume there will be a big gameplay/balance patch sometime before then though, maybe with the opening scenario included (like pre-Legion had). My understanding is that four of the new races are already playable (not sure how many more are being introduced)

Also, apparently the classes aren't being totally reworked this expansion. Instead the big gameplay change is that nearly all of the off-cooldown abilities are being brought back on to the global cooldown. The devs have said they want to lessen player reliance on burst damage and want to slowdown the pace of combat to make each button choice more meaningful. No idea how that'll work.

I may need to jump back on.  My subscription is actually still live.  I know that in that one or two week lead up to Legion, the invasion stuff gave crazy XP and I was able to get four or five characters up to the level cap.  I played my main up to max in Legion before losing interest again, so I have some catching up to do.

7 hours ago, Fez said:

Slay the Spire is addicting as hell.  It does have a bit of randomness that can screw you over on a run, but it plays fast enough that messing up a run doesn't hurt that bad.

Waiting for BattleTech at the end of the month (and maybe Thrones of Britannia a couple of weeks after that) so replaying some old games. First up, Ground Control, after I spotted it on Steam for £3. This was an RTS (very technically, a RTT) released in 2000 and was possibly the best-looking, most technically advanced game ever released at that point.

Playing it now, it's astonishing how far ahead of its time it was. It had a fantastic 3D engine, flawless unit pathfinding, incredible attention to detail (the way you can zoom down to ground level and see your individual guys' spent magazine cases flying through the air is impressive now, let alone eighteen years ago), was amazingly well-optimised (my Pentium II 233Mhz with a Voodoo 2 graphics card - which was a bit creaky at the time - handed the game splendily). The UI is also, simply, the best ever created for any strategy game (including its own sequel!). Tremendously powerful, incredibly minimalist but it still puts formidable amounts of information and control at your fingertips. It also had insanely huge maps, great unit variation (including the best artillery ever seen in any video game, ever) and, although not a true physics engine, lots of ballistic simulations to make it feel like a physics engine, three years before they really existed.

The fact it came out just two years after StarCraft and a year after Tiberian Sun is incredible, it looks at least 10 years more advanced than those games (and it looks far newer than Shogun: Total War, which it predated by a couple of months). In fact, if you can ignore the obviously old textures and the limited resolution size (although it does work in widescreen, at least), the game is pretty brilliant today. Even the story is decent.

They definitely don't make them like this anymore.

I was scrolling through my Steam Library and noticed Napoleon and Empire: Total War. How I yearn for a Total War in that setting without the AI being complete shit! I considered starting a campaign in one or the other, but I know that road only leads to disappointment. 

19 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I was scrolling through my Steam Library and noticed Napoleon and Empire: Total War. How I yearn for a Total War in that setting without the AI being complete shit! I considered starting a campaign in one or the other, but I know that road only leads to disappointment. 

Last time I played Empire I was surprised that the AI wasn't as awful as I remember. Still not great but it gave me a run for my money a few times.

Shogun II I think is the only one that has really good strategic AI, mainly because the shape of Japan funnels the enemy towards you and makes for a tougher game (unless you start at one of the two ends and "roll up" the entire island.

Two weeks until Thrones of Britannia, so we'll see if the AI has improved any.

I thought Fry Cry 5's whole story was awful. By the time I was in the third area I was just skipping the long cutscenes when you get captured. The ending was dumb as hell but by that point I was just amused by the insanity of it. The multiplayer is surprisingly great though. The "sneak up behind and instakill" mechanic is extremely forgiving to the point that it's a bit ridiculous. Most rounds I rarely use my gun. But it's a nice change of pace. And then you'll play a round of dodgeball but with shovels. I need to find time to mess around with the level editor.

The only thing that sounds bad about the new god of war is the length. I’m not sure I want 30+ hours of god of war. The old ones were 10 to 12 which I think is about right for this kind of game. I’ll probably buy when it’s 30 bucks.

Anyway, I just got an iPad. Playing hearthstone on the couch with it is pretty fun. I’ll probably pick up darkest dungeon too since it’s only 5 bucks and I’ve always meant to try it out. The FTL version looks great, but I’ve already sunk over 20 hours in that game. I also have that port of chrono trigger installed; a game I never got round to finishing. I think I played it like halfway through with Zsnes about 15 years ago.

On 4/15/2018 at 8:44 AM, Fez said:

August 14.

I'll be there.  I already bought the new expansion.  We'll see.

I was warned off Dark Souls 3 because I am not good and Dark Souls is hard.  So I bought it anyway and got my ass kicked.  I haven't been able to kill the first boss.  I should have listened.

I have been playing Borderlands and Dishonored.  I like them both.  I need to stop buying games and play out the ones I already have. 

So far GOW is great, but the thing about the combo system being complex or very creative just isn't true. The combat is cool, don't get me wrong, but nothing extraordinary. The world looks fantastic and I can definitely see it being one of the better games this year.

Archived