Video Games: A Far Cry From E3

KiDisaster

26 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

I bought some more games.  Final Fantasy XV is great.  I have never played any Final Fantasy game until this one.  Are they all relatively like this?  If so I will probably buy more of them.  I'm enjoying this XV far more than I thought I would.  I just sort of bought it on a lark because I like to buy games.

Eh...  to each their own I suppose.  XV is the first Final Fantasy game I ever quit.

No.  The series has never been like this.  The closest would probably be FFXII which has a remastered edition that recently came out.

4 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

The combat in Dragon's Dogma is great, yeah.  Just feels fun to fight whatever enemy presents.  I'm a ranger and use daggers and a bow for ranged.  The action for both is great.  The pawns are cool when I find good ones.  I have to find pawns that have the right stats and look and sometimes the right voice.  I don't like the ones that look like kids and their is one particular voice that grates on me.  It takes me like an hour to find pawns I use for a few levels at a time, but once I have my crew together I'm happy.

I bought some more games.  Final Fantasy XV is great.  I have never played any Final Fantasy game until this one.  Are they all relatively like this?  If so I will probably buy more of them.  I'm enjoying this XV far more than I thought I would.  I just sort of bought it on a lark because I like to buy games.

The play style is kind of new for Final Fantasy, but the story style and whatnot was very on point for me.

Just now, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Sorry I haven't paid attention to the new Total War game. Is it the next main game in the series? Its title suggests it's more of a spinoff.

It's a spinoff. It uses the Attila/Rome 2 engine for a game that only takes place in Britain and Ireland in the 9th century. They did implement a lot of cool campaign mechanics for it, but for the most part it looks like those games. The price is reduced to reflect this, though.

The next new and big TW will be set in China in the period of the Three Kingdoms.

6 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

It's a spinoff. It uses the Attila/Rome 2 engine for a game that only takes place in Britain and Ireland in the 9th century. They did implement a lot of cool campaign mechanics for it, but for the most part it looks like those games. The price is reduced to reflect this, though.

The next new and big TW will be set in China in the period of the Three Kingdoms.

OK that sounds somewhat interesting. I'm gong to be buying a new laptop later this year, so hopefully I'll be able to run more games than I am currently.

BattleTech advice: if you get the story mission for Liberation: Smithon, do not try to do it straight away. It's such a difficulty spike that it's ridiculous. You want to be running a full lance of 4 Heavies or maybe even have an Assault before you try it. It's a bitch of a mission with 8 enemy mechs (including at least 4 plasma snipers who can shoot you from halfway across the maps when the light spotters come into range and 3 LRM-focused mechs) and lots of turrets, including two LRM turrets that can chew up your mechs early on.

If you want to try it with just Mediums and Heavies, load up massively on LRMs and be aware that you can detonate the ammo crates to create massive explosions that can damage enemy mechs. If you get lucky, you can take out half the enemy force indirectly this way. Mobility is also hugely important. The best luck I've had so far is charging up the right side of the map, sniping the crate next to the two LRM turrets and then pulling back to the start area and drawing the enemy into a killing field. You will take heavy damage (unless you're very lucky) and you may have to sacrifice a mech or two and eject the pilots. It's brutal.

Oh, and the whole mission takes place in a desert so you can't fire with your full weapons loadout every turn. Fantastic.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

I find the graphical payoff of Battletech to be lacking considering the strain it seems to be putting on my PC. I'm still early on in the campaign, but right now I'm going with XCOM is better.

First, you crazy. I love watching the animations (when I'm shooting, mostly).

Second, because it was on sale on Steam I bought this damn Xcom2 and all its expansions you keep moaning on about. And I swear if one pixel of this game doesn't make my eyeballs sigh then you're going to look back fondly on the days when @Tywin et al. 's ass was the only one you were eating out.

7 hours ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

First, you crazy. I love watching the animations (when I'm shooting, mostly).

Second, because it was on sale on Steam I bought this damn Xcom2 and all its expansions you keep moaning on about. And I swear if one pixel of this game doesn't make my eyeballs sigh then you're going to look back fondly on the days when @Tywin et al. 's ass was the only one you were eating out.

Yeah, no. The only fun animation so far is giant robots running around without arms. But I'm talking about everything else.The orangey color of most battlefields makes seeing details difficult, I often miss potential targets because all you got is a thin red line to point you to them. Plus in between all you got is semi-static cartoonish animation that just doesn't do it for me. Like I said, the game seems to put a strain on my PC, I already experienced a crash once, and the payoff is not there in terms of the graphics. Maybe in terms of the gameplay and story. The world seems well developed.

13 hours ago, Werthead said:

BattleTech advice: if you get the story mission for Liberation: Smithon, do not try to do it straight away. It's such a difficulty spike that it's ridiculous. You want to be running a full lance of 4 Heavies or maybe even have an Assault before you try it. It's a bitch of a mission with 8 enemy mechs (including at least 4 plasma snipers who can shoot you from halfway across the maps when the light spotters come into range and 3 LRM-focused mechs) and lots of turrets, including two LRM turrets that can chew up your mechs early on.

If you want to try it with just Mediums and Heavies, load up massively on LRMs and be aware that you can detonate the ammo crates to create massive explosions that can damage enemy mechs. If you get lucky, you can take out half the enemy force indirectly this way. Mobility is also hugely important. The best luck I've had so far is charging up the right side of the map, sniping the crate next to the two LRM turrets and then pulling back to the start area and drawing the enemy into a killing field. You will take heavy damage (unless you're very lucky) and you may have to sacrifice a mech or two and eject the pilots. It's brutal.

Oh, and the whole mission takes place in a desert so you can't fire with your full weapons loadout every turn. Fantastic.

I actually ended up beating that mission relatively easily with an Orion heavy and three mediums. I stayed behind the cover near where you start the mission (bulwark helps so much here), destroyed the turrets near me on turn 2, and didn't even try to stop the enemy supply trucks. I let the enemy mechs come to me and focus fired them down; and I got a little lucky that at one point three of them were in radius of one ammo crate. Beat the mission with 6 ammo crates remaining, and only one pilot and mech injured.

It really helps that the Orion is strong enough to alpha strike pretty much any light or medium mech with a precision hit to CT; especially if one or two of my mediums soften up the target a bit earlier in the turn. Because of that, I killed the light mechs that start near you before they could spot more than a couple turns of damage against me and that forced the rest of the enemy force to get out of position and head towards me. I never even saw the vast majority of the map.

27 minutes ago, Fez said:

I actually ended up beating that mission relatively easily with an Orion heavy and three mediums. I stayed behind the cover near where you start the mission (bulwark helps so much here), destroyed the turrets near me on turn 2, and didn't even try to stop the enemy supply trucks. I let the enemy mechs come to me and focus fired them down; and I got a little lucky that at one point three of them were in radius of one ammo crate. Beat the mission with 6 ammo crates remaining, and only one pilot and mech injured.

It really helps that the Orion is strong enough to alpha strike pretty much any light or medium mech with a precision hit to CT; especially if one or two of my mediums soften up the target a bit earlier in the turn. Because of that, I killed the light mechs that start near you before they could spot more than a couple turns of damage against me and that forced the rest of the enemy force to get out of position and head towards me. I never even saw the vast majority of the map.

Oh man, an Orion? I did that shit with a Trebuchet.

That mission was ridiculous. I did win it though. The key was running my Vindicator right to the edge of the opening area in the "non-combat" phase of the opening go, triggering the enemies so I then went into combat with that one unit and shooting the ammo crate next to the two LRM missile towers. They got blown up without taking a shot and the resulting fireball crippled a nearby Heavy. I then retreated my Vindicator, used a Dragon to take down the other turret and then lured all the other mechs into a kill zone in the starting area. It was brutal but I managed to win.

Of course, both the optional merc side-missions on this planet are insanely hard and the next story mission, where you have to destroy the dropship on the moon, is beyond crazy. Still, #battletech

On Battletech - I have no idea what to do with partial salvaged mechs that are in storage. I don't see any options from which to pick. Also, I bought a mech, got placed into storage, no idea how to move it to the bay.

I've been very slowly making my way through Assassin's Creed: Origins. In many ways, this game is an improvement on past ones, and I love the Hellenistic Egypt setting. But oh my god do I hate the leveling system, which prevents you from beating enemies 3-4 levels above you, even when you sneak up on them and slit their throats. So you have to do lots of side quests and activities to continue the main quest and explore the map. The side quests are pretty hit or miss, and the side activities have kind of got old at this point, since combat is so repetitive. A leveling system would have been fine if it was just used so you could unlock new abilities and upgrades, but I'm not sure why they felt the need to pretend they were making an RPG.

21 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

On Battletech - I have no idea what to do with partial salvaged mechs that are in storage. I don't see any options from which to pick. Also, I bought a mech, got placed into storage, no idea how to move it to the bay.

I had the same problem and just assumed all my slots were filled. I assume there's a way to updrage to have more. 

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

You need 3 partially-salvaged Mechs to build a full on if you've shot out the Central Torso (CT), or 2 if you've blown their legs off (or, if you headshot and kill the pilot without damaging the mech, you get it iimmediately). I believe this happens automatically when you get the second or third piece (from the battlefield or bought from stores). Your engineer tells you the mech is back up and running with a basic loadout.

To move a completed mech from storage into the bay, just got to storage and click on the option. If it's not available, you don't have enough space in the ship (there are 3 bays, each can hold 6 mechs; at the start of the game you only have 1 bay available). If you've got the Argo, you can upgrade to a second bay almost immediately, if you've only got the Leopard you're stuck with just the one bay for now.

Getting a second bay I'd say is essential as you want to have at least 8 mechs (2 lances) available, so you can always field 4 for a mission even if all 4 were damaged on a mission (ideally you want 8 MechWarriors as well, for the same reason). 3 bays I think is overkill. Some players like it to have multiple redundancy for missions with specific builds, but given that each mech in the bay costs money to keep it there, I don't think it's worthwhile having much more than 8.

This guy I think modded the game to get two Atlas-IIs (the most powerful mech in the game, arguably) is a single-bay configuration. That's a weird Lance he's running otherwise.

Mechs that are in storage can also be sold via the store. If you're no longer using a mech and want to sell it, send it to storage (it strips off all the weapons and equipment automatically and returns the armour to standard) and it'll then be available to sell in the store.

I had the same problem and just assumed all my slots were filled. I assume there's a way to updrage to have more. 

Your starting ship, the Leopard, only has a room for a single bay. Only a few story missions into the game you get the Argo, a much bigger ship, which can be upgraded to hold 3 bays and 18 mechs.

Finished God of War last night and ended up deciding to get the platinum trophy since there were only a couple left that I needed. Now I'm kinda sad that it's over. Really great game, though the MacGuffin Carousel starts to wear a little thin in the last few hours of the main plot, I'm looking forward to the sequel. END GAME SPOILERS:

That post-credits cutscene of Thor showing up at the house was pretty fucking great. Plus Atreus being Loki...I can't wait to see where they go with all this.

Restarted my Battletech campaign since the last one got pretty much ruined from a terrible mission that left two of my best pilots dead and all of my best mechs pretty much destroyed. Hopefully this next one goes better. Though I probably won't be playing it much for a while as the Destiny 2 DLC comes out tomorrow and I plan to jump back into that. 

11 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

Finished God of War last night and ended up deciding to get the platinum trophy since there were only a couple left that I needed. Now I'm kinda sad that it's over. Really great game, though the MacGuffin Carousel starts to wear a little thin in the last few hours of the main plot, I'm looking forward to the sequel. END GAME SPOILERS:

Reveal hidden contents

That post-credits cutscene of Thor showing up at the house was pretty fucking great. Plus Atreus being Loki...I can't wait to see where they go with all this.

Restarted my Battletech campaign since the last one got pretty much ruined from a terrible mission that left two of my best pilots dead and all of my best mechs pretty much destroyed. Hopefully this next one goes better. Though I probably won't be playing it much for a while as the Destiny 2 DLC comes out tomorrow and I plan to jump back into that. 

I'm getting ready to start GoW tonight.  I actually have not played any of the previous games.  They started coming out at a time when I was either entirely lost in the World of Warcraft or otherwise had no time for gaming and I just missed out.  I'm looking forward to this one though.

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

You need 3 partially-salvaged Mechs to build a full on if you've shot out the Central Torso (CT), or 2 if you've blown their legs off (or, if you headshot and kill the pilot without damaging the mech, you get it iimmediately). I believe this happens automatically when you get the second or third piece (from the battlefield or bought from stores). Your engineer tells you the mech is back up and running with a basic loadout.

To move a completed mech from storage into the bay, just got to storage and click on the option. If it's not available, you don't have enough space in the ship (there are 3 bays, each can hold 6 mechs; at the start of the game you only have 1 bay available). If you've got the Argo, you can upgrade to a second bay almost immediately, if you've only got the Leopard you're stuck with just the one bay for now.

Getting a second bay I'd say is essential as you want to have at least 8 mechs (2 lances) available, so you can always field 4 for a mission even if all 4 were damaged on a mission (ideally you want 8 MechWarriors as well, for the same reason). 3 bays I think is overkill. Some players like it to have multiple redundancy for missions with specific builds, but given that each mech in the bay costs money to keep it there, I don't think it's worthwhile having much more than 8.

This guy I think modded the game to get two Atlas-IIs (the most powerful mech in the game, arguably) is a single-bay configuration. That's a weird Lance he's running otherwise.

Mechs that are in storage can also be sold via the store. If you're no longer using a mech and want to sell it, send it to storage (it strips off all the weapons and equipment automatically and returns the armour to standard) and it'll then be available to sell in the store.

Your starting ship, the Leopard, only has a room for a single bay. Only a few story missions into the game you get the Argo, a much bigger ship, which can be upgraded to hold 3 bays and 18 mechs.

Thanks. Right now I have 4 partially salvaged mechs in my storage, but it doesn't look like I can do anything with them. 3 are light, 1 medium, none are exactly the same type. Also, I only have the 5 original mechs in the bay, and when I bought a mech I couldn't see a way to move it in that 6th slot. Since then I loaded a previous save, because a mech is extremely expensive, so I don't want to do that again, until I figure out all the nuggets about this game. It took me forever to figure out the outfitting and refitting of mechs.  

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I'm getting ready to start GoW tonight.  I actually have not played any of the previous games.  They started coming out at a time when I was either entirely lost in the World of Warcraft or otherwise had no time for gaming and I just missed out.  I'm looking forward to this one though.

It's really fantastic overall. 

Thankfully the story of the previous games isn't anything that can't be easily summed up. Just read the wikipedia pages or watch one of the many recap videos on YouTube and you'll know all you need to know. Or don't, this game doesn't rely on you knowing what happened before but I do think it helps with context to have at least a basic idea.

Archived