Video Games: A Far Cry From E3

KiDisaster

40 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Hopefully a collection of that and New Vegas with a switch version. There's no legal barrier to them re-releasing a game Obsidian made for them, right? 

They'd have to pay Obsidian for such a re-release, I believe, as their contract with Obsidian did not include remasters (they weren't really a thing back in 2010) and Obsidian have confirmed they know nothing about it. That's why I think we'll see a Fallout 3 remaster even if this isn't it, but a New Vegas remaster is unlikely.

Latest from Kotaku is that it's "a new game that takes the franchise in a brand new direction", so it sounds like a spin-off rather than Fallout 5. Might be a strategy game, there's a surprisingly good one using the Hearts of Iron IV engine. Or, maybe more likely, a Telltale adventure game. Might even be Fallout Shelter 2, maybe a beefed-up settlement construction game.

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I feel like if their major announcement is Fallout Shelter 2 people are gonna be upset. 

:lol:  That's actually exactly what I thought.

32 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Have they given up on The Elder Scrolls? Are they just letting Zenimax to their online thing?

Their feeling is that rushing into an ES6 will cannibalise ESO's audience, which I find dubious. ESO has a pretty loyal fanbase now (it's one of the few genuinely successful post-WoW MMORPGs) and an ES6 is still years away, plus they made ESO a prequel so as not to interfere with the single-player releases, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, the much-rumoured situation is that Bethesda's A-team is making Starfield, their B-team was making "something else" which I think we can now assume is this new Fallout game and once Starfield is out they'll switch to ES6. Given that Starfield isn't expected until 2019/20, ES6 is probably 4-6 years after even that.

If that's correct, it means that this Fallout game may be something fairly limited given they've only made it in 2-3 years.

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

I feel like if their major announcement is Fallout Shelter 2 people are gonna be upset. 

Would be a massive stretch to refer to that as a major announcement.  I'll grant them that it's an announcement, but that's it.

Seems like Active Shooter (the school shooter simulator) is not just bad taste because of it's theme, but also might be a tad misogynistic. At least on the Jimquisition video about it that I watched it seemed like every school pupil was female, with the only males shot by the killer being cops.

The politics of this is interesting. Since under most free democracies this thing has a right to exist as free speech, which the right is constantly demanding and defending to allow racist and sexist and other hate speech. But the right is the largest voice in blaming video games for mass shootings and wringing their hands saying something must be done.

It would be interesting to see if the person who made this game is trying to make a political point that even after a game that blatantly has people playing as a mass school shooter the number of mass school shootings (or mass shootings of women who all look and dress pretty much the same except for different colours) will not increase at all. Assuming that is indeed the outcome. The game probably won't be popular enough, and Steam may not even keep it available long enough, for any such social experiment to take place.

On thing it does do is give ammo to the people who want to censor video games in a way that no other entertainment medium is censored.

And this is why recognising video games as art does make a different. Because when a whole medium is dismissed as not being art, then it loses the social protections against censorship that comes with being a recognised art form. 

Seems that I've reached the point of just messing around in Battletech.

I found out that changing your starting lance composition is extremely easy, so that offers an opportunity to play around with a few 'mechs that I got too late for them to seem like a serious alternative in my original run through the game.

It also makes me think that it would have been a cool feature to give you a different 'mech based on your character background. Keep the Blackjack for the Federated Suns, give a Draconis Combine character a Panther, a Vindicator for a Capellan, an Atlas for Lyrans...

I agree with changing up your starting mech. Also, do some of your dialogue choices affect your character in any way? Sometimes, there are a few choices that apparently related to your character's background, but I have not figured out a way how choosing those lines affects anything.

I've started another campaign, and now that I know what I'm doing, those early missions are pretty easy.

On 5/29/2018 at 9:16 PM, Werthead said:

I like XCOM2 and I find many parts of it superior to the first game, particularly the tactical combat side of things (although it does feel like "system mastery" can get way overpowered in the second game compared to the first), but the strategic side feels very weird in comparison, with way too much makework bolted onto what was supposed to be a very hands-off strategic view from the first game. The first game's strategy side was bare bones and often illogical (much improved by the Long War Mod), but the way it and the combat worked was really good. The second game doesn't cohere as well as the first game.

Phoenix Point completely rebuilds the strategy and combat layers from the ground up and looks really, really impressive at the moment. Disappointed it's slipped into the start of 2019.

I found the days to scan things to be stupidly long. It always got interrupted by some other shit (missions or higher priority items like supply drop etc). I liked the ideas, but the execution was a bit poor.

On 5/29/2018 at 11:04 PM, Corvinus said:

It takes some time to master the game, but I didn't find it difficult in learning the game. Unlike the Enemy Unknown, you are on your own basically, flying around in the Avenger, trying to survive and expand your resistance network. I don't play the game at higher difficulty than Veteran, but I do like to play with the Ironman mode.

Also, do you have the War of the Chosen expansion. That makes the game different in some ways, and lengthens it.

A few pointers:

• The first building you want is the Guerilla Tactics School. As you gather supplies, you want to be able to extend your squad to 5, then 6 members. With only 4, the game gets really challenging as you have to face tougher aliens.
  • Having at least one squad member that has the capability to scan what's ahead is important, and will, more often than not, get you out of the scenarios you've found yourself in. (The battle scanner is a cheap tool to have, and you can equip it to any squad member; more important, imo, than the standard grenade)
  • Losing a valuable squad member is more critical than allowing the Avatar bar to progress. If a mission looks too difficult to complete, retreat, or don't do it. When the Avatar progress bar got to max, at which point you get a countdown of 22-23 days, and then you lose the game. I've got all the way to that and manged to reverse things, and then win the game. 

Alas, I wish I read your pointers before I got myself in the hole. I spent my resources in too many other dumb shit instead of Guerilla Tactics School. That building should've been default! Squad number increase shouldn't have been hidden like that (for idiots like me). God damn Central should've prompted me about it instead of all the other damn dialogues!

I wish I thought about using the Battle Scanner more. So stupid not to use one now that you've pointed it out! I got a lot more careful with my combat advances instead, even when on the turn-restricted missions. Pretty much always utilizing Overwatch and advancing very carefully. Couple of heart stopping moments where I just barely managed to Evac everyone on the last turn. I didn't realise you can sprint and Evac on the same turn. Would've made life ALOT easier on some of the earlier missions.

On the plus side, I did eventually got the squad increase, but by the time I got it I already had an OP Sniper (LRM boat equivalent!) and an EXO Suit with Shredder Gun. Holy shit is the EXO suit with Shredder Gun super fun (I put it on my Ranger). These two things, along with Smoke and Flashbang grenades really changed everything. Combat isn't so challenging anymore.

Now the Avatar bar is 3 pips and I think I am in the last mission (assaulting some tower?). Seems to be a very short game? I don't remember the first game being this short? Unless it isn't the last mission. But the way Central and the characters talk about it feels like it is. I haven't even unlocked all the equipment or buildings yet!

After 24 hours of streaming a Vault Boy bobblehead sat on a table, Bethesda have announced Fallout: 76. https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/30/17408674/fallout-76-trailer-pc-ps4-xbox-one

It's being developed by the studio that was formerly making Battlecry (an online competitive shooter type game) and Jason Schreier of Kotaku is suggesting that 76 is a multiplayer game of some sort: https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1001826335189274625

There was also an anonymous Reddit post from a few hours before the official reveal which correctly named the new game and said it was focused on base building. 

So...online survival game a la Rust or Conan Exiles I guess? Meh. I'd have actually preferred a more fleshed out version of Fallout Shelter tbh. A good vault management sim could be pretty good. 

But all this could be bullshit anyway, guess we'll see at E3. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

I agree with changing up your starting mech. Also, do some of your dialogue choices affect your character in any way? Sometimes, there are a few choices that apparently related to your character's background, but I have not figured out a way how choosing those lines affects anything.

I think the campaign is completely linear, so the only thing your choices can do is give you little boni and penalties (sometimes probably based on a hidden die role, like the pirate attack event that can happen while travelling).

I don't think the characters in the campaign are supposed to do any more than add a bit of flavour.

If that's what the Fallout game is, I can't say it appeals to me very much. But yeah, I guess we'll see what they actually announce.

It's interesting that all these companies now use the weeks leading up to E3 to make announcements. Yesterday we got a trailer for a Pokemon game for the Switch, a remake of Pokemon Yellow, which looks pretty sweet (with a smaller announcement saying a new mainline Pokemon game is coming in 2019).

It's a survival RPG with a multiplayer element.

The game is set in 2102, just 25 years after the Great War and sees the player venturing forth from Vault 76 (possibly located in West Virginia). The game is a "survival RPG taking inspiration from DayZ and Rust", which makes sense. None of the regular Fallout factions even exist (bar, somewhere, the Enclave) and that soon after the war it's likely to be far more primitive, savage and chaotic than any of the other games. It also sounds like you will be using Vault 76 as a redoubt for your quests and possibly building it up with FO4's settlement building mechanics, which is a new direction for the series but makes sense.

The big question is how big is the multiplayer element? The game started as Fallout 4's multiplayer mode, but was splintered off from FO4 during development into its own title, drawing on ideas from the FO4 DLC and BattleCry, the Overwatch-style shooter Bethesda started developing and then shut down. That team has apparently taken point on FO76. Based on that, it sounds like the game will have a strong multiplayer focus.

However, Bethesda themselves have also taken a key role in development and the game will still have a traditional FO main storyline and side-quests. So is this just Fallout 4.5 with optional co-op, or is it more like an online shooter?

I guess we'll find out at E3.

13 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Haha. I started a new Stellaris, and it looks like Paradox added a few new star names. I just discovered the Covfefe system. 

:lol: I don't play this game, but I'd be curious to know who rules it?

Archived