Video Games: A Far Cry From E3

KiDisaster

Just an FYI, both Banner Saga & Banner Saga 2 are available for free* with Twitch Prime this month. Just link your Amazon Prime account to your Twitch account and you should be good to go (although I don't think Twitch Prime is available everywhere Amazon Prime is). Even if you don't use Twitch it's probably worth checking out just for all the free games and in-game loot they throw at you.

*and by free, I mean for the price of an Amazon Prime account

3 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

I did go to a retro gaming place though, and played (amongst other things) Pac-Man Battle Royale with friends a whole bunch. What a game that is; now if only I had a few thousand quid to spare!

I had to look up what that was (it sounds awesome.) but wikipedia claims there is a 360/PS3/Steam version. 

I used to love that gamecube multiplayer pac-man where one player used a Gameboy Advance to play as pac-man while the other three looked at the TV and controlled the ghosts. It was great. I think they ported it to the switch too. 

Rather than play one of the 56 games I have on Steam I haven't played yet, I of course started a new game of XCOM: Enemy Within (despite having 3 completed campaigns and 120 hours in the game already) because why the hell not? Decided to try the fabled satellite spam technique at the start of the game and it's, er, not worked very well (I've lost Russia and going all-out on satellites means I've had no money for decent gear).

10 hours ago, matt b said:

Just an FYI, both Banner Saga & Banner Saga 2 are available for free* with Twitch Prime this month.

It's because Banner Saga 3, which completes the story as a whole, is due out on 28 July, so they're drumming up marketing for it, especially after Banner Saga 2 bombed in sales on release (which they've ascribed to not doing crowdfunding for it, as the game missed out on marketing as a result).

I started Just Cause 3, and while it's not bad per se, it's really fucking stupid - you're basically Spiderman with machine guns, and it just didn't grab me at all.

Thoroughly enjoyed Just Cause 3. The dumbness is part of the fun of it. I enjoyed it all the more because the po-faced earnestness of the Far Cry games, which the Just Cause series is becoming an antidote for, was starting to annoy me, proven beyond a doubt by Far Cry 5 being a significantly inferior game to JC3 on almost every level bar graphically.

18 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Thoroughly enjoyed Just Cause 3. The dumbness is part of the fun of it. I enjoyed it all the more because the po-faced earnestness of the Far Cry games, which the Just Cause series is becoming an antidote for, was starting to annoy me, proven beyond a doubt by Far Cry 5 being a significantly inferior game to JC3 on almost every level bar graphically.

So much this. I enjoyed Far Cry 5's multiplayer but I bought it thinking it would have the fun spiderman movement of Just Cause 3. (My mistake, I know.) and was really disappointed when it did not. Way more excited for Just Cause 4 than Far Cry: Fallout. Though I won't buy Just Cause 4 unless it has built in co-op. I don't think they ever added co-op to JC3 on consoles. 

Yoku's Island Express is now out on many platforms, including Switch. I picked it up on Saturday, it's quite nice. It looks a bit like a 2D platformer, but that's only sort of true. You can roll around and whatnot, but pinball mechanics are tightly integrated into it: RT actives yellow flippers/bumpers, LT activates blue flippers/bumpers. There are sections that are like mini pinball tables, but little bumpers you can activate are all over and are used to get around. I'm several hours in and would recommend it.

On 5/24/2018 at 6:43 PM, RumHam said:

The Dark Souls remaster is out a day early on Steam. Disappointed to learn the Switch release was delayed until sometime this summer. I'm just gonna grab the xbox version I think. Probably not really a great portable game anyway. 

It also kinda sucks that Steam users who own the original get half off but console users don't. But the I did get the original for free through xbox games with gold so I can't complain. 

Really disappointed about the switch delay.  I was looking forward to some mobile DS and with the 'summer' release, that could realistically mean an August or September release, or even worse if there are more delays.  Guess it gives me time to finish up Zelda, but man... I really wanted so mobile DS and have zero interest in buying it again for PS4

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

Really disappointed about the switch delay.  I was looking forward to some mobile DS and with the 'summer' release, that could realistically mean an August or September release, or even worse if there are more delays.  Guess it gives me time to finish up Zelda, but man... I really wanted so mobile DS and have zero interest in buying it again for PS4

I may still get it, but as I said I'm not sure how it'll be as a portable game. It's not exactly a pick up and play for a few minutes experience. I wonder how they'll handle pausing/suspending with the network stuff. 

Plus I'm sure someone will eventually snap their switch in half in frustration. (Personally I think the difficulty of the series is exaggerated but some people do lose it and and break their controllers.) 

On 6/4/2018 at 9:41 PM, aceluby said:

Are you getting Code Vein?

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Paradox have bought Harebrained Studios. That should mean that future BattleTech and Shadowrun games will get a lot more support and (possibly) won't be crowdfunded, although they'll see how that goes.

Yaaay! With the death of Bioware I'm glad Paradox has stepped forward to be my new favorite studio.

Speaking of death, I'm about to play Detroit: Become Human

Wish me luck.

1 hour ago, Pony Empress Jace said:

Yaaay! With the death of Bioware I'm glad Paradox has stepped forward to be my new favorite studio.

Speaking of death, I'm about to play Detroit: Become Human

Wish me luck.

Stay away from boats.

Pumped for the Last of Us Part 2 at E3. We're gonna gonna get some sort of video content at least. Assuming it'll be gameplay to show off new mechanics in stealth etc. Perhaps a new trailer since the first two were vague and people peed their pants over the second trailer. Both have been vague thus far. A release date would be a nice perk. Druckmann said at PSX that they were roughly 60% complete and that was in December. Hoping they've made enough progress to let us all know when we can roughly expect the game to drop. 

Archived