Video Games: A Far Cry From E3

KiDisaster

I took a break from Tomb Raider to play Vampyr which just came out.  Vampyr is pretty good so far but Tomb Raider is better.  I also bought Xcom, Technomancer and Life is Strange but haven't gotten to them yet.

I'm interested in the Van Helsing game.  It looks like a copy of Diablo III and I love Diablo III.

Total War: Three Kingdoms gameplay reveal at E3.

A few interesting features:

• different classes of generals, like the more lead from behind strategist, or the lead from the front warrior
  • several generals can be present in an army, each commanding a portion of the army, and giving benefits to those troops depending on their class; also can recruit different types of units
  • dueling mechanic between generals, shown in all its glory in the video
  • two campaign modes: romanticized and classic; the former will be heavily influenced by The Romance of the Three Kingdoms, focusing a lot on characters, with heroes that fight their way through hundreds of troops, while the latter is purely historical.

I’ve started playing Westeros Total War, the beta for which was released about a month ago. It’s quite fun so far, but clearly still a beta. I negotiated with the Freys to give me military access (without resorting to marrying thei princess) and then met Jaime Lannister outside of Riverrun where he killed two Karstarks. Hmmm... The bastard escaped in this timeline though.

7 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Total War: Three Kingdoms gameplay reveal at E3.

A few interesting features:

• different classes of generals, like the more lead from behind strategist, or the lead from the front warrior
  • several generals can be present in an army, each commanding a portion of the army, and giving benefits to those troops depending on their class; also can recruit different types of units
  • dueling mechanic between generals, shown in all its glory in the video
  • two campaign modes: romanticized and classic; the former will be heavily influenced by The Romance of the Three Kingdoms, focusing a lot on characters, with heroes that fight their way through hundreds of troops, while the latter is purely historical.

Some interesting features but my God could they not find someone even remotely familiar with the latter Koei games so they could pronounce the names right?  I mean they obviously tried to steal the Lu Bu look from Koei with the Phoenix Tails but come on.  Jesus that was painful.  Also when showing off a duel system you want fans to like; do not show Xiahou Dun beating Lu Bu.

I do like the general stuff though, I'm curious if there will be more than the 3 types they described being the Leading-at-the-front-warrior-types , the commander too smart to lead from the front but if needed will wade in, and the strategists. I'm also curious if they have naval combat.

I’ve started playing Westeros Total War, the beta for which was released about a month ago. It’s quite fun so far, but clearly still a beta. I negotiated with the Freys to give me military access (without resorting to marrying thei princess) and then met Jaime Lannister outside of Riverrun where he killed two Karstarks. Hmmm... The bastard escaped in this timeline though.

Excellent. I remember working on the mod twelve years ago when they first transitioned from Rome to Medieval II, so it's good to see it moving a bit further along.

The amount of work to show for a dozen years is a bit disappointing though.

From E3 so far: Three Kingdoms looks pretty good, Star Wars: Fallen Order could be good but they didn't confirm anything about it so who knows, Anthem looks hilariously irrelevant (and the fear in the BioWare representatives' eyes that they've - or EA have - signed their own death warrants is amusing) and there's an awful lot meh elsewhere. Phantom Doctrine looks really good though.

Interesting to see what Bethesda bring to the party tonight.

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

Excellent. I remember working on the mod twelve years ago when they first transitioned from Rome to Medieval II, so it's good to see it moving a bit further along.

The amount of work to show for a dozen years is a bit disappointing though.

Yeah there’s been progress since I last played the alpha, but it crashes a lot more now.

Ramsay Snow is both “cultured” and a “saintly ruler”.

There was a FALLOUT 76 preview at the XBOX E3 event (main Bethesda event isn't until later on). It was just an expanded version of the trailer and a brief intro, so not a lot of new information, but a few points were confirmed:

Setting is West Virginia. Precise location is unclear. I think the State Capitol briefly appeared, which suggests Charleston may be part of the setting.
The game is a prequel to all of the other FALLOUT games.
No multiplayer or survival elements mentioned at this point.
The game world is FOUR TIMES the size of FALLOUT 4's.
Clearly the same engine as FALLOUT 4, just spruced up a bit further.

Locations I could identify (not knowing a lot about West Virginia):

The New River Gorge Bridge 
The State Capitol in Charleston 
The Greenbrier 
Woodburn Hall, Morgantown 
Point Pleasant (home of the Mothman, who seems to the inspiration for a monster in the game)

Based on the that, the entire state of West Virginia looks like it's in the game.

They also showed a new trailer for METRO EXODUS, which looks excellent.

Microsoft really had a great conference this year. Lots of games I'm looking forward to.

Fallout 76 looks like it might be fun for a bit if I get some friends together for it, and I'm very excited for a Bethesda style space RPG whenever the hell Starfield actually comes out. 

Devolver was...something. 

15 hours ago, Werthead said:

From E3 so far: Three Kingdoms looks pretty good, Star Wars: Fallen Order could be good but they didn't confirm anything about it so who knows, Anthem looks hilariously irrelevant (and the fear in the BioWare representatives' eyes that they've - or EA have - signed their own death warrants is amusing) and there's an awful lot meh elsewhere. Phantom Doctrine looks really good though.

Interesting to see what Bethesda bring to the party tonight.

Can you provide a bitch with a link to this Anthem presentation? The Sugarcube wants to see the despair first hand.

29 minutes ago, Jace, The Sugarcube said:

Can you provide a bitch with a link to this Anthem presentation? The Sugarcube wants to see the despair first hand.

Because you’s my favorite bitch whatever you’re calling yourself these days...

The article has the video of the trailer and following panel discussion.

Also in that article are 15 comments from IGN users who don’t understand what a persistent world is and why always online is a question answered 15 years ago or more.

The gameplay looks fine.  I enjoyed Destiny, so I may give this a try.

The main problem is that EA ignored the core BioWare user base.  By having no NPC companions and no romances; that have neglected the most pressing question asked by the average BioWare fan anytime they meet an alien race which has always been:  “Can I fuck it?”

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Because you’s my favorite bitch whatever you’re calling yourself these days...

The article has the video of the trailer and following panel discussion.

Also in that article are 15 comments from IGN users who don’t understand what a persistent world is and why always online is a question answered 15 years ago or more.

The gameplay looks fine.  I enjoyed Destiny, so I may give this a try.

The main problem is that EA ignored the core BioWare user base.  By having no NPC companions and no romances; that have neglected the most pressing question asked by the average BioWare fan anytime they meet an alien race which has always been:  “Can I fuck it?”

Thanks babe. And this news of celibacy is most disturbing.

ETA: Unless they had fifteen people in the audience, the response to both the trailer and the host's rally call was shockingly unenthusiastic.

I think I'll be giving Fallout 76 a miss. Entirely online, all surviving humans are players apparently, and I get the impression the game is just going to be PvP and open world PvE raids with some radiant missions directing you around the place, which has been my least favourite part of recent Bethesda games. 

Cyberpunk looks cool. 

Cyberpunk 2077 looks fantastic. And the trailer is indicative of the gameplay: it's structured the same way as Witcher 3, so all of those scenes are rendered in-engine in the locations you can go to in the game (confirming the early rumour the game world consists of the entirety of Night City and a vast swathe of surrounding suburbs and freeways). It'll probably be cut-scene heavy, which is normally concerning but The Witcher 3 made it work superbly so as long as the writing and the quest structure (no fetch quests, random side-quests can suddenly turn into multi-hour adventures) is on a par, that should be fine.

The gameplay questions I think most people have right now is how in-depth is the character customisation (we know you can play as a male or female, but not much beyond that), how do the cars work (does the game just go full GTA with futuristic vehicles?) and precisely how the gunplay functions, although the word is that the game is third-person with first-person aiming, which makes sense.

Fallout 76's rapid decline from "this looks good!" to "er, no" has been entertaining. At least those who read the Kotaku articles were prepared for it (not sure why people doubted them: they got blacklisted for having a source who confirmed everything from Fallout 4 months before release, to Bethesda's fury). I feel more sorry for the people who saw the teaser a couple of weeks ago, which had zero indication this was anything other than another full Fallout experience, got hyped up for it and then discovered it was some kind of online-only bullshit. And Bethesda knew this was going to be a problem, which is why they early-announced Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI: Probably High Rock to try to deflect some of the irritation from their core fanbase. When Howard said, "Fallout 76 is an always-online game," the deathly silence from half the audience was something to behold (the other half tried to make it up, but that didn't really work).

I dunno why anyone would have expected a full Fallout game not called Fallout 5. or Fallout: Some location.

Personally I don't mind online only games as long as they're well done and have enough content. The Division was great. The Destiny games not so much, though they were fun while they lasted.

Archived