Video Games: A Far Cry From E3

KiDisaster

9 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Oblivion had third person. I often played that way. Can't really explain it, but I've always played the Bethesda games in third. Appeals to me more. Can't explain it.

Even Morrowind had third person, even if it wans't that great for combat and such.

I have to put a past tense on my love for Dragon Age.  To me, Inquisition was a chore.  It was big and empty and the combat was awful and pointless.

Andromeda was also big and empty, but the combat was fun and I enjoyed the game regardless.  I just don't have any faith in them to put out an enjoyable product at this point.  The lore and the world in the Dragon Age games is still enjoyable to me, but the game lost all its appeal when it turned into a half-assed hack n slash.  

21 hours ago, Werthead said:

The utter apathy over Anthem is impressive to behold. BioWare's first new franchise in nine years? People should be really intrigued, but there's just zero appetite for it that I can see.

Listening to the press who got to play the demo, it sounds like the moment-to-moment gameplay is really good. And not in a "good for Bioware" kind of way, but in a "this is better than Destiny" kind of way. But there's still tons of questions about what the story, and the main gameplay loops, are going to be like.

If the gameplay really is that good, I think there will be a fair amount of excitement for the game by the time it releases, even if there's not much of a narrative/the narrative isn't good.

18 minutes ago, Vin said:

I think bioware should stick to their bread and butter , narrative/character driven RPGs with awesome lore . 

Is that really their bread and butter anymore? Most of the people responsible for all those awesome RPGs of the past are long gone; they've got a few pretty solid writers on the Dragon Age team, but that's about it. It's probably best to think of Bioware as a whole different studio from what it once was, and see what they can come up with. I'd be fine with a Destiny-like game that had a better designed end-game and a better narrative (no need for a great one). It'd be nice if Bioware was still what it was, but some other studio will pick up the slack for creating big narrative RPGs to fill in the gaps between CDPR releases.

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

I have to put a past tense on my love for Dragon Age.  To me, Inquisition was a chore.  It was big and empty and the combat was awful and pointless.

Inquisition was basically just Fetch Quest: The Game.  

Fucking world is ending and the leader of the Inquisition is running around picking flowers and running menial errands for peasants.

14 minutes ago, briantw said:

Fucking world is ending and the leader of the Inquisition is running around picking flowers and running menial errands for peasants.

Which is pretty much par for the course for any RPG or even video game for that matter, but if there's good gameplay interspersed with it I can at least get on board.  But DA:I was awful.

My other problem with open world games that also try to tell a story is that with my limited playtime these days, the story beats are spread out so far that I have trouble connecting with the characters and the world.

2 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Which is pretty much par for the course for any RPG or even video game for that matter, but if there's good gameplay interspersed with it I can at least get on board.  But DA:I was awful.

My other problem with open world games that also try to tell a story is that with my limited playtime these days, the story beats are spread out so far that I have trouble connecting with the characters and the world.

True, but some games disguise fetch quests better than others.  Inquisition had the MMO style fetch quests where it's like, "Go retrieve fourteen berries" with little to not context and a poorly-written story to go with it.

Meanwhile, Witcher 3 features side quests that are better than Inquisition's main plot.  Yeah, they still ultimately amount to "Go there, do that," but they hide it through brilliant writing and characters you actually give a shit about.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Is that really their bread and butter anymore? Most of the people responsible for all those awesome RPGs of the past are long gone; they've got a few pretty solid writers on the Dragon Age team, but that's about it. It's probably best to think of Bioware as a whole different studio from what it once was, and see what they can come up with. I'd be fine with a Destiny-like game that had a better designed end-game and a better narrative (no need for a great one). It'd be nice if Bioware was still what it was, but some other studio will pick up the slack for creating big narrative RPGs to fill in the gaps between CDPR releases.

Yeah , they're trying to hide that they've lost their team behind Casey Hudson .

RPGs aren't seen as that profitable by publishers who are all about live service these days so I'm not that optimistic about someone filling the void properly.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

Inquisition was boring af and the antagonist was so shit . They tried to make dragon age more like skyrim but they failed miserably .

On 6/14/2018 at 11:42 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

I hope you watched the latest RLCS world championships. I know Esports isn't embraced even by long time video game players. But Rocket League is a genuine spectator sport, that happens to be a video game. And the skill of the top players is insane.

I dunno if I would be too down on Bioware because of apathy over Anthem. It's not a good that there is mostly apathy or ambivalence, but before Mass Effect was released people were probably looking at it rather cautiously. I don't really recall a great deal of hype for Mass Effect until after it came out. Also I am eagerly anticipating Dragon Age 4.

Dragon Age 4 was in early development, cancelled, re-tooled and has had some early prototyping done for a new (rumoured to be multiplayer-focused) version but that's it. If Anthem bombs and Lucasfilm decide to shutter The Old Republic, then BioWare could be toast.

This Cyberpunk 2077 fan-trailer (referencing a certain Easter egg in The Witcher 3) is excellent.

Eh, I get some people really don't like Inquisition, but it's flaws get exaggerated. It got reviewed very well and sold very well. There are too many fetch quests and too many zones, but it's a game where it's pretty easy to focus on the things you want to do, like good zone quests, companions and their quests, and the main story. No, the main story isn't great, but no Dragon Age game has a compelling main story (Origins: there's a zombie dragon out to destroy the world), and there are lots of good side plots within the main quest. All three Dragon Age games have their strengths and their flaws. But they're pretty unique in the RPG landscape, and Iove them for what they do, warts and all.

For that reason, I hope Anthem is a success and we get a great DA4. It's definitely not my kind of game, but the people who played it at E3 seemed to have a great time with it, so that's a good omen.

8 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Eh, I get some people really don't like Inquisition, but it's flaws get exaggerated. It got reviewed very well and sold very well. There are too many fetch quests and too many zones, but it's a game where it's pretty easy to focus on the things you want to do, like good zone quests, companions and their quests, and the main story. No, the main story isn't great, but no Dragon Age game has a compelling main story (Origins: there's a zombie dragon out to destroy the world), and there are lots of good side plots within the main quest. All three Dragon Age games have their strengths and their flaws. But they're pretty unique in the RPG landscape, and Iove them for what they do, warts and all.

For that reason, I hope Anthem is a success and we get a great DA4. It's definitely not my kind of game, but the people who played it at E3 seemed to have a great time with it, so that's a good omen.

I mean, I played Inquisition.  It's every bit as boring and filled with shitty fetch quests as I make it out to be.

2 minutes ago, briantw said:

I mean, I played Inquisition.  It's every bit as boring and filled with shitty fetch quests as I make it out to be.

I also played Inquisition. Pretty early on, I learned to avoid the shitty fetch quests and I had a great time with it, and so did many others, clearly. As for boring, I don't think anything in the game compares to some of the endless dungeon slogs in Origins.

On Anthem's reception... part of the apathy I think is because many Bioware fans don't care for this kind of game, myself included. Part of it is because of Andromeda. And part of it is because of the online anti-EA circle jerk. I find it amazing how many people on the reddit live reaction thread were looking for an excuse to hate this game and everything EA advertised.

1 minute ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I also played Inquisition. Pretty early on, I learned to avoid the shitty fetch quests and I had a great time with it, and so did many others, clearly. As for boring, I don't think anything in the game compares to some of the endless dungeon slogs in Origins.

On Anthem's reception... part of the apathy I think is because many Bioware fans don't care for this kind of game, myself included. Part of it is because of Andromeda. And part of it is because of the online anti-EA circle jerk. I find it amazing how many people on the reddit live reaction thread were looking for an excuse to hate this game and everything EA advertised.

Can you blame people for being anti-EA?  How many great studios have they bought, ruined, and then shuttered?  

4 minutes ago, briantw said:

Can you blame people for being anti-EA?  How many great studios have they bought, ruined, and then shuttered?  

Sure, be skeptical if you don't enjoy their games, but I just don't understand the need to shit on everything and be so negative. It's a video game- if you don't like it, don't buy it. And so when a game like the new Jedi one is announced, which sounds pretty cool, I don't see why we all need to find reasons to hate it. 

But I think I'm just kind of over video game outrage. The amount of anger people have at companies for not announcing and advertising things is just insane.

Just now, Caligula_K3 said:

Sure, be skeptical if you don't enjoy their games, but I just don't understand the need to shit on everything and be so negative. It's a video game- if you don't like it, don't buy it. And so when a game like the new Jedi one is announced, which sounds pretty cool, I don't see why we all need to find reasons to hate it. 

But I think I'm just kind of over video game outrage. The amount of anger people have at companies for not announcing and advertising things is just insane.

Well, I shit on the games I've played.  I don't shit on Andromeda because I never bought it and never played it because it looked bad.  I shit on Inquisition because it was a bad, disappointing game, made all the worse by the fact that it was out around the same time as Witcher 3, a vastly, vastly, vastly, vastly, vastly superior game in the exact same genre.  Maybe it's not fair to judge a game because it released around one of the greatest games ever made, but Witcher 3 felt like it actually moved the genre forward.  Inquisition felt like it was just out of touch and stuck in the past.

See... and that’s what I don’t get.  Andromeda was frequently called “Inquisition in Space.” But the gameplay in Andromeda was actually good.  I don’t understand how DA:I got such great reviews while ME:A got shit on.

Amd FWIW, I never once got tired of the “endless dungeon slogs of Origins.”  The combat and gameplay in that game was actually involved and enjoyable and was not a glorified hack n slash with no real depth.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

See... and that’s what I don’t get.  Andromeda was frequently called “Inquisition in Space.” But the gameplay in Andromeda was actually good.  I don’t understand how DA:I got such great reviews while ME:A got shit on.

Amd FWIW, I never once got tired of the “endless dungeon slogs of Origins.”  The combat and gameplay in that game was actually involved and enjoyable and was not a glorified hack n slash with no real depth.

The combat in Origins was tactical and it mattered what you did.  Inquisition is just running around in circles while your moves cool down so you can use them again.

I thought the writing in Inquisition was still solid, outside of the main storyline at least (which had a couple really good moments but was mostly short and forgettable), so I'm willing to forgive flaws in gameplay. Which wasn't really that bad, it was just serviceable.

Also, most of the endless fetch quests were completely optional and it made for a better game to just ignore them and focus on the quests that advanced character arcs or were the "main" questline for the region.

I see a world of difference between DA:I and ME:A.

Archived