Sign in to follow this  
Triskjavikson

Paste Magazine's Top 50 Fantasy Books of 21st Century

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

The books they picked from Gaiman and Abercrombie are really strange.  No American Gods is just inexplicable on any best of list, and The Blade Itself is probably Abercrombie's worst book. 

In addition, excluding Abraham is just ridiculous, the Long Price Quartet sticks with you the way most fantasy does not.  I'd also say excluding Bakker, Stover and Mieville is really weird, although I guess if you're really trying you could call all of those sci-fi (but I wouldn't).

They included Mieville with Perdido Street Station.

I'm as cool with excluding Stover as I am for Gabaldon or Goodkind.

Posted (edited)

Huh, wow that's a lot of Stover hate.

Edit: I honestly would never expect Stover to show up on anything like this though, he's virtually unknown outside this forum.

Edited by Darth Richard II

3 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

What was the importance of the latter?  It seems to have been barely read around here, to mixed reviews.

It is pretty new so it is hard to say its lasting impact.  But for a list like this I can see why it was added.  It won several awards including a Nebula but is one of those stories with some major crossover appeal...a book club type of book.  It seems to have sparked more interest outside of the fandom than your average sci-fi. 

Like I said I have not read it, but based on the buzz and where it comes from on this book it seems exactly the type of book to end up on a best of list from a publication that doesn't specialize in the genre.

Storm of Swords in 12th position to generate controversy, I guess, while the others more like a popularity list rather than a list of great books.

Still waiting for Glue magazine's inevitbale rebuttal list.

52 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Still waiting for Glue magazine's inevitbale rebuttal list.

I'm more interested in what Cut has to say.

The author, going by the blurb about ASOS, doesn't know what the word "empathy" means.