Control of kingslanding baelish

Alex Gu

16 minutes ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

He didn't have control of anything save the whorehouses he owned and the taxes he leavied. He bought Slynt who ran the gold cloaks but that wasn't control over the org 

Well it gives him reasonable controle over the city since the goldcloaks seem to be the only major force in King's Landing but as you say it didn't make them his personal army.

It is about how much you are willing/able to pay. Petyr didn't control anything but he was able to steer a lot in his chosen direction in that city.

On 4/14/2018 at 11:24 AM, Alex Gu said:

How much control did baelish have over kings landing?he  seem to have sway over gold cloaks officers and maybe customs

It's more accurate to say "Baelish had influence" than to say he had control.  He had money to bribe and that gives him a lot of persuasive abilities as long as there are soldiers around who feel underpaid.  And who doesn't feel underpaid?  Have you ever met anyone who thinks they're overpaid?

The golden dragons bred and multiplied, and Littlefinger lent them out and brought them home with hatchlings.

And in the process, he moved his own men into place. The Keepers of the Keys were his, all four. The King’s Counter and the King’s Scales were men he’d named. The officers in charge of all three mints. Harbormasters, tax farmers, customs sergeants, wool factors, toll collectors, pursers, wine factors; nine of every ten belonged to Littlefinger.

-ACOK, Tyrion IV

He did (and probably does) control large parts of the economy and can (and probably did) reduce the crowns income unnoticed.

The Waynwoods are very old and very proud, but not as rich as one might think, as I discovered when I began buying up their debt. [...] dower that I offered her ladyship was even larger than the one that Lyonel Corbray just collected.

-AFFC, Alayne II

And he owns enough money to buy him houses of the Vale.

On 4/14/2018 at 11:24 AM, Alex Gu said:

How much control did baelish have over kings landing?he  seem to have sway over gold cloaks officers and maybe customs

Brothels are a nice way to find information. Wine and lust can loosen one’s tongue.

I don't know what unit of measurement you would use to measure control.

He is an influential man, has a lot of well-placed friends, and the treasury at his disposal. I'd say he was pretty powerful. We hear from Stannis that LF had clear influence over Robert, and he was obviously in with Cersei at least after having handed her Ned Stark. 

Still, LF, like Varys, would have had very little recourse if someone like Cersei or Tywin decided they would rather he was dead. 

Archived