Sign in to follow this  
chuck norris 42

Why can't we abandon religion the same way we abandoned the gold standard?

2 hours ago, Jo498 said:

The Eurocentrism is to some extent justified because Europe (or its cultural derivatives, lke the US etc.) is the only region of the world where there is a vocal minority that thinks one should get rid of religions. I am not aware of any prominent figure like Nietzsche, Dawkins or Hitchens from Africa, India, East Asia but maybe I am too eurocentric. More importantly, the idea that religion (attendance, practice, beliefs) would somehow automatically decline and vanish for demographical or similar reasons seems wrong in most of the world, except for a few regions in the so-called "Western World", so the main "data points" that favor a waning of religions are also from Europe/US/Australia etc.

I hadn’t really thought of it like that. I can’t think of a similar movement elsewhere in the world - like you it could be I just don’t know of an existing culture, rather than it not existing as such.

My guess is India and China must have similar such sentiments somewhere in their cultures just due to the sheer size and variety of their populace. India, certainly, is a cultural melting pot, but, yeah, now you mention it, I don’t know if this discussion would really relate to a typical Indian’s life.

Food for thought. I will do some reading around, if and when I have time.

12 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

If countries use gold as a means of payment, then all commodities become priced in terms of the international price of gold. If the gold price of corn is higher in New York than it is London, then corn should get shipped to New York, leaving the price difference between New York and London that of transportation cost. If the corn price in New York falls, then you'd expect some substitution away from goods that might not be international commodities to an international commodity like corn. So internal commodities end up being linked to an international gold price as well.

If the worldwide demand for gold suddenly increases, maybe because people get nervous, because somebody forgot to sacrifice a goat, the price of commodities will fall. And this can be quite a problem, where it may take a long while for prices to adjust back into equilibrium. Firms are likely to adjust quantities first before trying to reduce prices. Labor markets are likely to adjust by quantities first before the nominal wage falls. And it may be a long while before goods and labor markets clear.

And because it is difficult to dig gold out of the ground or even to find it, private producers probably are not likely to satisfy the demand for gold to keep the price level stable.

ETA:

But, during a low tech era, where making money that is not easy to being counterfeited is hard, then the advantages you describe do have a lot of merit and its probably why most states began with commodity money.

Yes - your ETA was my point.  I don't think commodity money continues to make sense on any level, anywhere.

I have. Now it's all about the ancient aliens

I wish we would abandon high fructose corn syrup

I can get behind not throwing things in wells too...

but damn you all, I will never abandon the baked potato (unless butter is no more, then there is no point in a baked potato)

22 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I don't think commodity money continues to make sense on any level, anywhere.

Well the gold standard does have some advantages for certain sort of people, to be fair I guess. When the demand for gold surges, and private producers can’t accommodate it quickly enough, certain sorts of people can sit around  theorizing about “Great Vacation” theories of unemployment and other certain sorts of people can get paid big money by the Wall Street Journal by writing columns about why the unemployment is due to “structural” reasons.

Perhaps I’m not being fair to these people as I’m not sufficiently weighting their gains in my social utility function.

Why can't we abandon curmudgeons like we abandoned single mothers?

Why can't we abandon alcohol the way we abandoned cociane?

Why can't I abandon eating a half-pound log of mozarella in one go the way I abandon responsibilities, personal hygiene, and commitments of all kinds?

4 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Is this a personal or societal question?  Because the answers are very different.

Posted (edited)
On 4/20/2018 at 1:06 PM, Robin Of House Hill said:

Why can't we abandon all hope, ye who enter here?

Because without that line,  Dantes Inferno would lose some of its hard hitting literally impact .

On 4/20/2018 at 1:42 PM, larrytheimp said:

Why can't I abandon eating a half-pound log of mozarella in one go the way I abandon responsibilities, personal hygiene, and commitments of all kinds?

To answer those questions, you must consult  the highest source of wisdom and enlightenment ever devised by mankind,  the Magic Eight Ball.   It has all the answers to all of the questions. 

On 4/20/2018 at 1:46 PM, dmc515 said:

Is this a personal or societal question?  Because the answers are very different.

Which is why one should defer to Magic Eight Ball . It's also good for Stockmarket tips. 

Edited by GAROVORKIN

17 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

Religion will always exist in some form.

And so will stupidity. And people who really do think Trump is doing a great job.

1 hour ago, maarsen said:

And so will stupidity. And people who really do think Trump is doing a great job.

I could be mistaken but ,  This topic doesn't deal with politics. At least not specifically.

On 4/22/2018 at 4:39 AM, GAROVORKIN said:

Because without that line,  Dantes Inferno would lose some of its hard hitting literally impact .

"Literary!"

--Stanis