JonCon's greyscale and Aegon's reign

Euron Lannister

If Aegon becomes king through marriage (margaery for example) or otherwise, what would be the best position for JonCon?

i would assume the other faction would claim the Hand position, and even not, due to his near death taking such an important role would be dump for him, since aegon would need to search a new one without his help.

i think lord commander of the kingsguard would be a good position, since he can advise Aegon, but isn't the most important advisor, and picking a successor would be easy for aegon.

What do you think?

7 minutes ago, TPTWP Timett said:

I for some reason no textual evidence just my opinion thought he would live to sat him on the throne and go into self exile. I can see him telling Aegon they will make their appointments in the morning and leaving that night.

i always thought of him as someone who wants to stay at his side till the bitter end, but self exile is also an interesting idea

His POV seemed pretty much dedicated to spending what was left of his life to help Aegon win the throne. JonCon doesn't think he's long for the world of life, and I don't doubt it. Perhaps some sort of heroic death, but oddly enough I'm wondering if he's going to use his grayscale to infect his enemies somehow.

9 hours ago, TPTWP Timett said:

I for some reason no textual evidence just my opinion thought he would live to sat him on the throne and go into self exile. I can see him telling Aegon they will make their appointments in the morning and leaving that night.

This. Once the greyscale is sufficiently advanced, Old Griff knows he'll basically lose his mind and become an uncontrollable agent of infection. He'll want to have Young Griff seated on the Iron Throne before then, so he can get outta Dodge while he's still rational.

9 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

I'm wondering if he's going to use his grayscale to infect his enemies somehow.

No. Nobody in their right mind would want to get a greyscale epidemic going in Westeros. There's no cure or treatment, remember? And you can't restrict the spread to just "your enemies."

20 minutes ago, zandru said:

This. Once the greyscale is sufficiently advanced, Old Griff knows he'll basically lose his mind and become an uncontrollable agent of infection. He'll want to have Young Griff seated on the Iron Throne before then, so he can get outta Dodge while he's still rational.

No. Nobody in their right mind would want to get a greyscale epidemic going in Westeros. There's no cure or treatment, remember? And you can't restrict the spread to just "your enemies."

I don't necessarily think it will happen, but I think you lay the groundwork in your own post.  What if things take longer than they would like and he knows he has almost no time left, or what if he has already started loosing his mind, or simply becomes incredibly biter?

I think that when anyone will find out about JonCon's condition, he will be send to Citadel, to find a cure, if there is one, then maesters may know it.

fAegon's Hand will be Varys. Illyrio will be Master of coin. And Lord Commander of Kingsguards will be Balon Swann. Gerold Dayne is going to be General of fAegon's armies, and Aurane Waters or Salladhor Saan will be Admiral of his fleet.

And most likely he will marry either with Arianne Martell, or he will wait for Dany. But Margaery is definitely not a viable option. She's not a Queen of 7K, she's just a Queen Consort. Which means that, same as in Cersei's case (she's Dowager Queen or widow Queen), after death of her husband, or their divorce, she won't be in any place of power, unless she will be mother of King's children, like Cersei is. So marrying with Margaery won't give to fAegon any power, or right to sit on Iron Throne. Thus - why to marry her? For support of The Reach? Though Dorn is closer to Stormlands, and they have an ongoing feud with Lannisters, so it's going to be easier, and more favourable for fAegon, to marry with Arianne, than with Margaery.

And if JonCon will think, that his presence near the boy, may harm him in any way, then he will leave on his own. If he will be careless, he may infect other people, even fAegon himself. He wouldn't risk it. Also if other people will find out that fAegon's advisor has grey scale, it may harm them in a political sense. So when the risk will become more obvious, JonCon will leave. Probably he will try to stay with fAegon, as long as possible, but only until he will be able to hide his secret. And it may take just a few months, or even less, until grey scale will go up his hand, over his arm, and to his neck, and then it will be impossible to keep hiding his condition.

41 minutes ago, zandru said:

As I said, Connington already seems determined to die for the boy. As the sickness spreads, I doubt he's going to be in his "right mind." Seems a possibility to me.

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

And if JonCon will think, that his presence near the boy, may harm him in any way, then he will leave on his own.

I agree. Connington has worked too many years for this comeback and restoration. He's not about to screw it up out of carelessness or desire to exercise power on his own. He's given Young Griff an excellent start, the boy seems to have learned well, and Connington will be working to set him up with the best advisors, so that when it's his time to go, everything won't fall apart (like when Tywin made his final trip to the loo.)

16 minutes ago, zandru said:

I agree. Connington has worked too many years for this comeback and restoration. He's not about to screw it up out of carelessness or desire to exercise power on his own. He's given Young Griff an excellent start, the boy seems to have learned well, and Connington will be working to set him up with the best advisors, so that when it's his time to go, everything won't fall apart (like when Tywin made his final trip to the loo.)

I think that, unfortunately, all his efforts and sacrifices will be in vain. Because the boy is not Rhaegar's son. Furthermore he's a Blackfyre, and thus mortal enemy of Targaryens. So when JonCon will find out the truth, that he gave up 12 years of his life, on raising a fake, he will be crushed by it. He will be more depressed than Jorah, when he was exiled by Dany. Unless he will also find out, that one of Rhaegar's real children is still alive. So he may think, that he should help this one (Jon Snow), to get Iron Throne, instead of fAegon.

2 hours ago, Megorova said:

And most likely he will marry either with Arianne Martell, or he will wait for Dany. But Margaery is definitely not a viable option. She's not a Queen of 7K, she's just a Queen Consort. Which means that, same as in Cersei's case (she's Dowager Queen or widow Queen), after death of her husband, or their divorce, she won't be in any place of power, unless she will be mother of King's children, like Cersei is. So marrying with Margaery won't give to fAegon any power, or right to sit on Iron Throne. Thus - why to marry her? For support of The Reach? Though Dorn is closer to Stormlands, and they have an ongoing feud with Lannisters, so it's going to be easier, and more favourable for fAegon, to marry with Arianne, than with Margaery.

marrying a rival queen isn't a smart move, he knows daenerys wants the throne, onece married its only a dagger away.

margaery on the otherside, is part of the family with the most power in kings landing, and so marrying her would mean he could sit the iron throne without fighting and had no claiment right next to him.

I have to think that the boy will kick Jon Connington to the curb as soon as he learns that the man has greyscale, no?

Of course, The George might have something up his sleeve, such as Jon Connington being the stone beast breathing shadow fire by spreading a deadly epidemic.

How long will Jon Connington be able to hide the disease? 

Who would be Aegon's next Hand? Harry Strickland? Mathis Rowan? Randyll Tarly? 

17 minutes ago, Euron Lannister said:

marrying a rival queen isn't a smart move, he knows daenerys wants the throne, onece married its only a dagger away.

margaery on the otherside, is part of the family with the most power in kings landing, and so marrying her would mean he could sit the iron throne without fighting and had no claiment right next to him.

Margaery is Queen only because she is married to Tommen. And she's already married. How can she marry with fAegon, if there's still Tommen?

Also Margaery is not even the heir of The Reach, that's Willas, and after him Loras, or some other guy and then Loras, and only then Margaery. While there are still male Tyrells alive, Margaery is far from being ruler of The Reach.

So what exactly can she give to fAegon, if they will marry? She has no right to command Tyrell troops. She has no right to own Highgarden or Oldtown. And she has no right to sit on Iron Throne.

While Dany has dragons, and her own armies, and she has a right to sit on Iron Throne, because she's a pureblooded Targaryen. Margaery is nothing. Expendable character. She was married three times, and two of her husbands died, and according to rumors she had dozens lovers, so who would want to marry with her? She's far from being some great prize. So I don't get it why people even think, that she has any sort of future in ASOIAF, especially some significant future, alongside someone with power, and near Iron Throne.

39 minutes ago, Megorova said:

How can she marry with fAegon, if there's still Tommen?

tommen is a deadman walking

So what exactly can she give to fAegon, if they will marry? She has no right to command Tyrell troops. She has no right to own Highgarden or Oldtown.

you don't really get the idea of marriage alliances, right?

with marrying margaery he had the support of the tyrells, which includes mace, who commands their forces, is the lord of highgarden and overlord of oldtown, also includes willas who is the heir to mace, marrying an heir doesn't make sence if you want to become king tho.

And she has no right to sit on Iron Throne.

And thats exactly the point, she needs one to sit it, for her being queen and he needs acces to it to sit it.

as i said marrying your rival is as dump as bran marrying the catspaw.

While Dany has dragons, and her own armies, and she has a right to sit on Iron Throne, because she's a pureblooded Targaryen.

and she wants the throne for her self, but there can only be one ruler, not two.

he has the right for the throne himself, he doesn't need anyone with a claim, he needs someone who can give him access to the iron throne, which is margaery and her family. and not dany the only throne she has is the one in meereen, which is useless when you want to rule westeros

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

Margaery is Queen only because she is married to Tommen. And she's already married. How can she marry with fAegon, if there's still Tommen?

Also Margaery is not even the heir of The Reach, that's Willas, and after him Loras, or some other guy and then Loras, and only then Margaery. While there are still male Tyrells alive, Margaery is far from being ruler of The Reach.

So what exactly can she give to fAegon, if they will marry? She has no right to command Tyrell troops. She has no right to own Highgarden or Oldtown. And she has no right to sit on Iron Throne.

While Dany has dragons, and her own armies, and she has a right to sit on Iron Throne, because she's a pureblooded Targaryen. Margaery is nothing. Expendable character. She was married three times, and two of her husbands died, and according to rumors she had dozens lovers, so who would want to marry with her? She's far from being some great prize. So I don't get it why people even think, that she has any sort of future in ASOIAF, especially some significant future, alongside someone with power, and near Iron Throne.

51 minutes ago, Euron Lannister said:

tommen is a deadman walking

you don't really get the idea of marriage alliances, right?

with marrying margaery he had the support of the tyrells, which includes mace, who commands their forces, is the lord of highgarden and overlord of oldtown, also includes willas who is the heir to mace, marrying an heir doesn't make sence if you want to become king tho.

And thats exactly the point, she needs one to sit it, for her being queen and he needs acces to it to sit it.

as i said marrying your rival is as dump as bran marrying the catspaw.

and she wants the throne for her self, but there can only be one ruler, not two.

he has the right for the throne himself, he doesn't need anyone with a claim, he needs someone who can give him access to the iron throne, which is margaery and her family. and not dany the only throne she has is the one in meereen, which is useless when you want to rule westeros

Yeah, the idea is that Tommen would be killed, and rather than allow a female Baratheon or Lannister, or Stannis, to take the throne, Mace would arrange to have his daughter, the queen consort, to wed Aegon, presumably retaining his position as Hand. 

17 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Really? 

Why not? Master of coin position was promised to Illyrio. So Varys is also going to be on Small Council.

Also to your previous post (about Margaery), I think that Varys killed Kevan, because he had his own plans about future developmens. So I don't think, that he will allow Tyrells to seize power in KL, or to sit on Iron Throne.

Could be that Margaery will also die soon. After Kevan's death probably there will be another revolt in KL. So Margaery could become victim of Sparrows. Tyrells troops may not be fast enough to save her. Also if they could, then they would have done it, even before now, but they didn't. Thus she's either going to stay imprisoned by Sparrows, or she will be killed by them, or maybe if there will be a trial, then she will be sentenced to become a septa, or something like that. So she's not going to be one of candidates to become fAegon's bride.

For her previous husbands, this alliance wasn't very helpful. Marriage with Margaery brings ill luck. And if Tommen will also die, then Margaery will be a tripple widow. Who would want to marry with a woman, whose husbands always die? She's a Black Widow.

17 minutes ago, Megorova said:

Why not? Master of coin position was promised to Illyrio. So Varys is also going to be on Small Council.

Illyrio told Tyrion in Tyrion II, Dance 5 that he helped Viserys because Viserys offered him Casterly Rock and the office of Master of Coin. Illyrio suggests that he was was doing it for coin, but the reason rings hollow when he admits that he has no interest in leaving Pentos for Casterly Rock. And would replacing Petyr, Tyrion, and Gyles Rosby to become Master of Coin truly enhance Illyrio's wealth? Moreover, he waives it off completely in any case, expressing no concern as to whether Daenerys will make good on her brother's promises. But then he hints at the real reason, that he has "debts of affection to repay." Even Tyrion notes that Illyrio has something more in this venture than coin or castles.

Archived