Is Craster Bloodraven's son?

Free folk Daemon

Preston Jacobs didn't provide textual evidence because there isn't any.  Here, I'll show you how it works:

Rattleshirt, the Lord of Bones, is Bloodraven's son.

I didn't even have to do any research or referencing to make that statement.

I do not believe this theory, nor do I endorse anything between asterisks below, but, without having firsthand knowledge of the theory in question, perhaps the PJ logic is something along the lines of:

• Bloodraven went to the Wall and served there for nearly twenty years (13 as LC), from 233-252.
  • Craster is possibly between 60 and 70 at the time we meet him, and he's said to have been fathered by a crow on a wildling woman, who tried to give him to the Watch and was chased off.
  • Bloodraven comes from a family with a little tradition of incest.
  • Craster marries all his daughters and has more daughters and marries them, too.
  • Bloodraven is plugged into a tree beyond the wall, *where he surely has some creepy connection to the Others (and is generally controlling everything and everyone in the story anyway)*
  • Craster has some creepy understanding with the Others along the lines of he donates his sons and they leave the rest of his family alone.

*Therefore Bloodraven went out ranging one day and ran into a wildling babymomma-to-be who looked just like Shiera Seastar in the right light, and Craster was the result, because obviously Craster is a bastard Targaryen's bastard Targaryen and he's aligned with the Walkers because the black brothers refused to accept him.*

To clarify, I am totally making this up, not suggesting it as likely. :)

45 minutes ago, Therae said:

I do not believe this theory, nor do I endorse anything between asterisks below, but, without having firsthand knowledge of the theory in question, perhaps the PJ logic is something along the lines of:

• Bloodraven went to the Wall and served there for nearly twenty years (13 as LC), from 233-252.
  • Craster is possibly between 60 and 70 at the time we meet him, and he's said to have been fathered by a crow on a wildling woman, who tried to give him to the Watch and was chased off.
  • Bloodraven comes from a family with a little tradition of incest.
  • Craster marries all his daughters and has more daughters and marries them, too.
  • Bloodraven is plugged into a tree beyond the wall, *where he surely has some creepy connection to the Others (and is generally controlling everything and everyone in the story anyway)*
  • Craster has some creepy understanding with the Others along the lines of he donates his sons and they leave the rest of his family alone.

*Therefore Bloodraven went out ranging one day and ran into a wildling babymomma-to-be who looked just like Shiera Seastar in the right light, and Craster was the result, because obviously Craster is a bastard Targaryen's bastard Targaryen and he's aligned with the Walkers because the black brothers refused to accept him.*

To clarify, I am totally making this up, not suggesting it as likely. :)

I'm not going to watch the video but I imagine this is pretty close to how it would go. 

Time for you to start a your YouTube channel! 

22 hours ago, Free folk Daemon said:

I heard this theory suggested in one of Preston Jacobs' videos but there was no real textual evidence to back this up.

If you believe this, please provide text-based hints that convince you he is his son. Thanks

We would have seen an albino at Craster's Keep if this were the case.   

On 4/17/2018 at 11:18 AM, Stormking902 said:

There is absolutely no evidence pointing to this being true, I find Preston to be either bang on or so FAR off you think to yourself is he jk or being serious and he is usually dead serious lol. 

It's worth noting that Preston doesn't say he believes Craster is Bloodraven's son, and provides evidence that he ISN'T in that video. He simply note that based on the apparent age of Craster, Craster would likely have been born while Bloodraven was in command of the Night's Watch. He beings up the possibility that Craster is Bloodraven's son then largely dismisses it.

3 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Which is exactly why Preston dismisses it.

4 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

yes, although one could argue that in some primitive cultures albinos were killed, and craster is a wildling, also IF Bloodraven is his father and he abandoned his mother directly and she told him, he could grow a hate against albinos and kill them because of that. or greenseeing is linked to the albino gene and he gave them to bloodraven or by accident only the males became albinos...

don't wanna say he is his father (although it would be cool) but i think the albino argument is not a specultion killer

4 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

20 minutes ago, Euron Lannister said:

yes, although one could argue that in some primitive cultures albinos were killed, and craster is a wildling, also IF Bloodraven is his father and he abandoned his mother directly and she told him, he could grow a hate against albinos and kill them because of that. or greenseeing is linked to the albino gene and he gave them to bloodraven or by accident only the males became albinos...

don't wanna say he is his father (although it would be cool) but i think the albino argument is not a specultion killer

Depending on what type of albinism BR has, if Craster's mother carries the same albinism gene, then Craster has a 50/50 chance of inheriting it as a carrier without symptoms, and I suppose a 25 percent chance if his mother does not have the gene. If he is totally negative, and assuming that Craster's first wife or wives do not have the gene as well, none of his children would be albinos or carry the gene.

But this would only be the case if BR's albinism is not caused by a mutation in his x chromosome. If that is the case, the math gets a little trickier, but the albinism would only affect Craster's sons, since his daughters would have two x chromes and it is extremely unlikely that both would be faulty.

Maybe Craster is Maester Aemon's son!

"Then Lord Eddard is a man in ten thousand. Most of us are not so strong. What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms … or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy."

On 4/17/2018 at 1:55 PM, Free folk Daemon said:

I heard this theory suggested in one of Preston Jacobs' videos but there was no real textual evidence to back this up.

If you believe this, please provide text-based hints that convince you he is his son. Thanks

It is possible but it is even more likely that Craster is related to the Starks.  The fact that the Others accept his sacrifice, his boys, and they leave him alone is a hint.  Not a proof but a hint.  The Night's King was doing the same thing and he was a Stark.  There is something in their family line that the Others can use.  Maybe they share the same ancestors if the Others were human at one time.  

On 4/18/2018 at 4:08 PM, ChuckPunch said:

This isn't how you start a thread. YOU are supposed to present the evidence, newfriend. 

I don't believe it myself, and who's newfriend? :D I don't even think Preston Jacobs does, based on the point Moiraine Sedai brings up: 

On 4/18/2018 at 5:08 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

Albinoism is genetic, and if GRRM is following it in the same way in the World of Ice of Fire, at least a few of Craster's children would be albino if Bloodraven was his father.

On 4/18/2018 at 8:59 PM, Damon_Tor said:

It's worth noting that Preston doesn't say he believes Craster is Bloodraven's son, and provides evidence that he ISN'T in that video. He simply note that based on the apparent age of Craster, Craster would likely have been born while Bloodraven was in command of the Night's Watch. He beings up the possibility that Craster is Bloodraven's son then largely dismisses it.

Which is exactly why Preston dismisses it.

I agree with this.

On 4/18/2018 at 9:23 PM, Euron Lannister said:

True, there are possible ways Bloodraven could still be his father.

Archived