Rothfuss XIV: The Slow Regard of Luna Lovegood

Darth Richard II

At this point, even if Rothfuss delivers a book (and he won't), the only things that will give me satisfaction are:

• Learning that the Man-mother theory actually is complete bunk. The Adem are right.
  • Haliax/Lanre/The Chandrian are the actual the hero(es) and have been all along.
  • The Edema Ruh are (1) a kind of swollen ailment and (2) actually are scum of the earth, just as Meluan believes
  • Denna dying repeatedly, and then revealing herself as one of the Chandrian, then killing Kvothe, repeatedly and then dying again.
  • Bast being Felurian in disguise. She continues her mass murder/rapist ways in the "human" world.
  • Rothfuss confirming that the "Adem" and the "Edema Ruh" have _no_ common background whatsoever and their name similarity is simple happenstance.
  • Auri stabbing Elodin repeatedly in the heart and revealing herself as the big bad who has gotten another sucker Jax/Taborlin/Kvothe to do her evil bidding. She too is a Chandrian.
  • In fact, everyone (including Ben) is a Chandrian. The name meaning "7" is a complete coincidence. 
  • Meluan is the ultimate hero of the story. She and Alveron send collections after Kvothe and he hangs for his misuse of funds and corruption of the Bursar.
  • Elodin isn't a wise zenlike teacher at all. Instead, he's just mentally ill. We discover he wrote two books of a trilogy and then went insane. Never recovered. They guy with a beard is just a misdirect.

Great list, I would look forward to the book if even a quarter of it was reported to happen.

Here's what's likely to happen:

Kvothe will dick around the Uni for half the book, antagonizing Ambrose

Ambrose will become a king

Ambrose will use Denna to lure Kvothe into his reach

Kvothe, meanwhile, will open the Door of Stone and release Iax

Kvothe will go to save Denna. She'll die in his arms, telling him she only loved him. Much tears.

Auri will act all twee

Bast will show up at some point.

Kvothe will kill Ambrose, setting off the war. Iax, meanwhile, will be summoning the fell beasties we saw at the beginning of the first novel.

Upset at all he's done, Kvothe will lock his name up and become Kote.

The Chandrian will hardly show up, if at all.

There will be lots of sniffles by the end. Poor Kvothe! You could'a been a contender! You coulda been Harry Potter!

Rothfuss will make lots of "Kvothe lives" swag to hock on his website, and talk big about the next series, to which this is a million word prologue. He'll never write more than a handful of pages, crippled by his awareness that deep inside he's longlong college GenXer that managed to cobble his high school wish fulfillment into shape and sell it to Hollywood.

Rothfuss's son will release a twelve volume series forty years from now about the world building and development of the Kingkiller fiasco.

11 hours ago, brunhilda said:

At this point, even if Rothfuss delivers a book (and he won't), the only things that will give me satisfaction are:

• Learning that the Man-mother theory actually is complete bunk. The Adem are right.
  • Haliax/Lanre/The Chandrian are the actual the hero(es) and have been all along.
  • The Edema Ruh are (1) a kind of swollen ailment and (2) actually are scum of the earth, just as Meluan believes
  • Denna dying repeatedly, and then revealing herself as one of the Chandrian, then killing Kvothe, repeatedly and then dying again.
  • Bast being Felurian in disguise. She continues her mass murder/rapist ways in the "human" world.
  • Rothfuss confirming that the "Adem" and the "Edema Ruh" have _no_ common background whatsoever and their name similarity is simple happenstance.
  • Auri stabbing Elodin repeatedly in the heart and revealing herself as the big bad who has gotten another sucker Jax/Taborlin/Kvothe to do her evil bidding. She too is a Chandrian.
  • In fact, everyone (including Ben) is a Chandrian. The name meaning "7" is a complete coincidence. 
  • Meluan is the ultimate hero of the story. She and Alveron send collections after Kvothe and he hangs for his misuse of funds and corruption of the Bursar.
  • Elodin isn't a wise zenlike teacher at all. Instead, he's just mentally ill. We discover he wrote two books of a trilogy and then went insane. Never recovered. They guy with a beard is just a misdirect.

I think you're going to get a soft version of your second bullet. 

I believe one of the major themes of KKC is moral relativism, because it comes up over and over:

• The Amyr act for the greater good (who decides what the greater good is?)
  • Lanre who was "considered wise and good, did all this"
  • The Duke of Gebbia (sp?) killed thousands but saved thousands with his medical knowledge
  • The Chandrian killed Kvothe's parents "because they had a reason"
  • Totally cool for the Amyr to strangle a pregnant woman or burn down a church
  • Kvothe and Denna having totally different views on who Lanre was (misunderstood hero or monster)
  • etc

I will be stunned stunned stunned if the "big reveal"/point on which book 3 turns isn't Kvothe having made a bad assumption about the nature of the Chandrian and/or their intentions.

18 hours ago, kuenjato said:

Great list, I would look forward to the book if even a quarter of it was reported to happen.

Here's what's likely to happen:

Kvothe will dick around the Uni for half the book, antagonizing Ambrose

Ambrose will become a king

Ambrose will use Denna to lure Kvothe into his reach

Kvothe, meanwhile, will open the Door of Stone and release Iax

Kvothe will go to save Denna. She'll die in his arms, telling him she only loved him. Much tears.

Auri will act all twee

Bast will show up at some point.

Kvothe will kill Ambrose, setting off the war. Iax, meanwhile, will be summoning the fell beasties we saw at the beginning of the first novel.

Upset at all he's done, Kvothe will lock his name up and become Kote.

The Chandrian will hardly show up, if at all.

There will be lots of sniffles by the end. Poor Kvothe! You could'a been a contender! You coulda been Harry Potter!

Rothfuss will make lots of "Kvothe lives" swag to hock on his website, and talk big about the next series, to which this is a million word prologue. He'll never write more than a handful of pages, crippled by his awareness that deep inside he's longlong college GenXer that managed to cobble his high school wish fulfillment into shape and sell it to Hollywood.

Rothfuss's son will release a twelve volume series forty years from now about the world building and development of the Kingkiller fiasco.

That was pretty much perfect.

To follow the theme of the topic, here are my theories based on what I remember from the books a year after reading them, once.

• The Chandrian have one goal in (un)life: To be forgotten. Only when nobody remembers them, will they be allowed to pass on from this world.
  • The head librarian is aware of this, and has been working to remove all traces of them from the University library. However, he fails to do it completely because the library is too big and poorly organized. Kvothe will find the evidence he needs.
  • Kvothe's big mistake would be to publicly prove the Chandrian's existence. The Chandrian, enraged, are back to square one after centuries of carefully wiping out all trails of their existence. They will go after Kvothe and his loved ones, which (coupled with some intense regret) is what makes him go into hiding.
  • Kvothe won't open the Doors of Stone. Devi will. She probably won't survive the ordeal.
  • Ambrose won't be the king Kvothe kills, but he will die as a result of his actions anyway. As will Fela, Auri, Elodin, and pretty much the entire rest of the university cast in the chaos after the Chandrian re-emerge.
  • Denna has her own agenda. Possibly related to the Chandrian. She is using Kvothe, but to what end I have no idea. She is still alive in the present day.
  • Bast is Kvothe's son, born of Felurian.
  • The ancient backstory is just folk tales with no further implication to the rest of the story.
  • Present-day Kvothe has all his powers intact, but is terrified of using them (or at best extremely reluctant).
  • Some of the information in the two first books is building towards an ending Rothfuss has later decided to scrap, and may even contradict the new ending he thought would be better. This means there are massive plot holes between the books, which Rothfuss hasn't managed to mend.

On 4/19/2018 at 6:09 PM, Kyll.Ing. said:

To follow the theme of the topic, here are my theories based on what I remember from the books a year after reading them, once.

• The Chandrian have one goal in (un)life: To be forgotten. Only when nobody remembers them, will they be allowed to pass on from this world.
  •  

Ah, so perhaps Rothfuss is afraid to write anymore out of self-preservation. Makes sense.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a feeling that PR, and GRRM to an extent, are having issues writing because the big reveals they had planned have, to a large extent, been sussed out by the internet? And thus making their next novels, where the revelations take place, are already pretty well known?

I say this because I started reading the Ice and Fire novels as they were published, which is now decades ago, and didn't have a CLUE about much of what is now common knowledge. Same with NOTW before I started participating in forums. 

I'm wondering if part of the "writer's block" or whatever it is, is simply them trying to figure out a narrative that gels with what's already written that is different than what the weaponized autists of the internet have already figured out?

My friend just finished book 2 after a decade or whatever.  So I got to fill him in on all the theories and such.  That was fun.

Doors of Stone can reveal a number of things - Lockless box, Haliax and the Chandrian's relationship to Iax, what the Amyr are up to, what the Angels are up to (since Kvothe supposedly fights an Angel), the identity of the king he killed, confirming Kvothe's status as a Lockless

• 4 weeks later...

Archived