Rothfuss XIV: The Slow Regard of Luna Lovegood

Darth Richard II

20 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah can you see him working with the kind of deadlines they have in the video game business?

Maybe that would work better for him, though. He'd have to actually deliver by a specific outside-imposed deadline, or not get paid in full. 

Imagine if a fan asked him to help with TDOS?

Hey, Pat. I hear you have a new Kvothe book coming out. Assuming you're still, kinda, slapping the final coat of paint on it, want... want a little... little help with that? There were, ah, some really interesting choices you made with Wiseman's Fear, and ah, I don't want to throw any stones, but I mean, because ah, Name of the Wind was great. You've done great things with the series, but, ah, some of us love Kingkiller Chronicles and some of us do storytelling on the Internet. Some of us go to sleep thinking about story and wake up thinking about story and we're all about story. We understand character and stuff. Also we get books. Love to ah, love to help you out. Are you ok over there?

10 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m reading TDOS as soon as it comes out.  I’m irritated by the delay but what can we do?

I'll be borrowing it from the library. First time in my life I've actively not wanted to support an author financially, but I do want the payoff from my time/money spent on the first two books to find out what happened.

1 hour ago, sperry said:

I'll be borrowing it from the library. First time in my life I've actively not wanted to support an author financially, but I do want the payoff from my time/money spent on the first two books to find out what happened.

Pretty much. Assuming we still have libraries in the year 2032.

6 hours ago, Eriksen's New Mascot said:

Imagine if a fan asked him to help with TDOS?

Hey, Pat. I hear you have a new Kvothe book coming out. Assuming you're still, kinda, slapping the final coat of paint on it, want... want a little... little help with that? There were, ah, some really interesting choices you made with Wiseman's Fear, and ah, I don't want to throw any stones, but I mean, because ah, Name of the Wind was great. You've done great things with the series, but, ah, some of us love Kingkiller Chronicles and some of us do storytelling on the Internet. Some of us go to sleep thinking about story and wake up thinking about story and we're all about story. We understand character and stuff. Also we get books. Love to ah, love to help you out. Are you ok over there?

His lack of self awareness is painful. 

On 6/9/2018 at 3:12 AM, ير بال said:

Rothfuss said on his stream that he'd like to help Bethesda write the new Fallout, lol.

Considering that the new Fallout doesn't seem likely to have any NPC's or scripted dialogues, it sounds like the perfect job for him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rothfuss' latest:

http://www.newsweek.com/kingkiller-chronicle-patrick-rothfuss-interview-podcast-writers-block-963165

“You say ‘writer’s block’ and people are like ‘Oh, I’m sorry.’ It’s like you’ve just said ‘I have meningitis.’ It’s like, ‘Oh fuck, writer’s block, did you get some amoxycilin for that?’ It’s not a thing. It’s not a thing. But here’s the thing. Here IS the thing,” Rothfuss said. “You write with your head. You could break your leg and then still write. But if, say, your dog has fucking died, that’s in your head. If your relationship is a mess. If you have a mood disorder (which, statistically, you’re six to ten times more likely to have if you’re a writer). If you have either diagnosed or undiagnosed depression, or any of the myriad host of things that can legit go chemically wrong in your brain. Or if it’s just your life is shitty or your dad is sick, or like, maybe the Republic is crumbling and there’s an autocrat in power.”

Rothfuss’ disbelief in writer’s block doesn’t mean writers have no right to their creative struggle, but instead conceptually obscures human-level problems under a romantic veneer. “Nobody would expect you to make beautiful jewelry if your hand had been caught in a hydraulic press,” Rothfuss adds.

“So the reason I push back against the myth of the author, is if we keep going ‘Oh, you’re a magical unicorn and you have a magical unicorn disease called writer’s block,’ it keeps people from correctly identifying what might really be going in their lives, in their minds or, honestly, in the world, that’s affecting their ability to produce art,” Rothfuss said. “I don’t think writers’ block exists. I think undiagnosed mood disorder exists.”

I now want to write about a jeweller who gets their hand stuck in a hydraulic press.

3 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Rothfuss' latest:

http://www.newsweek.com/kingkiller-chronicle-patrick-rothfuss-interview-podcast-writers-block-963165

I now want to write about a jeweller who gets their hand stuck in a hydraulic press.

Wow, he just can’t say “I was wrong” can he?

Archived