Rothfuss XIV: The Slow Regard of Luna Lovegood

Darth Richard II

I'm curious how authors from the 1900s to the 1950s were against a term that was only coined in 1989.

I'm open to criticism of Rothfuss, despite having enjoyed reading his books, but it just seems wrong to argue that Rothfuss' novels provide any kind of an overtly progressive (you'd probably call it leftist I'm guessing) paradise. Nor can I think of many instances that Rothfuss' writing does much to promote any such agenda beyond some crude "racism is bad" messages through the Edema Ruh and the inclusion of female characters, who are sometimes portrayed progressively, but also sometimes seem to convey a regressive attitude to gender relations. But, I mean, racism is bad and women do exist, so I don't think that is particularly revolutionary, particularly when it comes to the current zeitgeist.

6 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Y'see this shit is exactly what I've been lecturing y'all about. Treat this place like 4Chan, and look what shows up.

Except that he joined six years ago (and a full two and a half years before you did)? 

6 hours ago, lysmonger said:

stop full stop. How'd you know?

I feel like  I should be able to make  political/literary criticisms of art that was very much valid pre 1960s. A lot of fantasy writers from the 1900s-1950s were very much anti intersectionality.

What criticisms? All I saw from you were your random bizarre statements of dislike.

I've never heard of intersectionality before this, and after a quick google, it seems like a perfectly logical thing to build your story around.:dunno:

2 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Except that he joined six years ago (and a full two and a half years before you did)? 

What criticisms? All I saw from you were your random bizarre statements of dislike.

I've never heard of intersectionality before this, and after a quick google, it seems like a perfectly logical thing to build your story around.:dunno:

I'm not criticizing. These are things I worry will happen when the story is translated to film. The story is great. I fear though it may go overboard on a few things. I worry.

Admittedly, Rothfuss has been going down the message rabbit hole to some degree. He's had a go at Tolkien for the literary pipe-smoking, and used that to argue that authors have a duty not to spread evil ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smRcLsXvW2w

(Minutes 50-55).

1 hour ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Admittedly, Rothfuss has been going down the message rabbit hole to some degree. He's had a go at Tolkien for the literary pipe-smoking, and used that to argue that authors have a duty not to spread evil ideas:

(Minutes 50-55).

He's slapping himself in the face isn't he? I don't think the effects of smoking were apparent back then, and well, we have Kvothe who off the top of my head, is a cheat, bully and a fraud.

3 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

He's slapping himself in the face isn't he? I don't think the effects of smoking were apparent back then, and well, we have Kvothe who off the top of my head, is a cheat, bully and a fraud.

Don't forget stalker.

17 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

And this has what to do with my post?

He didn't show up from anything we did, plus he was already here before you, so you couldn't have been lecturing us about it? I mean, if you could get the front part, I don't really see why you couldn't get the rest of the message except to be deliberately obtuse.

2 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Well, I implied that the general toxicity and childishness of the conversation (and I employ that term loosely) in this thread was starting to attract the types of trolls and knuckle-draggers you see in less, shall we say, "sophisticated" corners of the net. You obviously confused "showing up" in this thread with, I guess registering an account with the website?

Regardless, my question was more aimed at what him having joined the site before me has to do with...anything.

2 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

He didn't show up from anything we did, plus he was already here before you, so you couldn't have been lecturing us about it? I mean, if you could get the front part, I don't really see why you couldn't get the rest of the message except to be deliberately obtuse.

Whatever.

19 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

(Minutes 50-55).

Thank you, somebody knows what I am talking about.

On 9/19/2018 at 4:56 PM, Proudfeet said:

Yep. Rothfuss would say we're not supposed to endorse Kvothe's actions... but the text overtly portrays the character as heroic.

Archived