Rothfuss XIV: The Slow Regard of Luna Lovegood

Darth Richard II

49 minutes ago, Gorn said:

I don't want to Godwin the discussion, but would you argue that Joseph Goebbels wasn't a war criminal? After all, he never personally killed anyone or ordered anyone's death. Would you say that propaganda is harmless?

Even if we focus only on less extreme examples, mass cultural depiction of a certain type of behavior will end up normalizing it, and there are countless examples of it, both positive and negative.

You aren’t answering my question.  Goebbles was a propagandist he’s more akin to cigarette ads than 80s and 90s police movies.  Goebbels intended to manipulate.  As such judging his actions is very different from looking 

16 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

The key point is that there is an evil scary tree in Wise Man's Fear and you can't deny there is more deforestation than ever out there in the world. 

Coincidence? 

I think not!

Rothfuss has a lot of explaining to do.

13 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Don't you think he was being flip when he said that though?

No. You'd have to miss what he says about consulting with a statistician and insisting he's not making a joke to get the idea that he was being flippant. He genuinely believes his argument, which means he is bad at logic in that instance.

49 minutes ago, Ran said:

No. You'd have to miss what he says about consulting with a statistician and insisting he's not making a joke to get the idea that he was being flippant. He genuinely believes his argument, which means he is bad at logic in that instance.

I really want to argue with rothfuss about the the conquest of the Caribbean and Mexico. Something that would cause him to have a meltdown

2 hours ago, lysmonger said:

I really want to argue with rothfuss about the the conquest of the Caribbean and Mexico. Something that would cause him to have a meltdown

How come? inquiring minds and so on -- this one in particular, since it is stuffed with the facts and history and the geography and cultures of these places and lots of personal on the ground experience of them and the people.  For many years even!

12 hours ago, Vaughn said:

The key point is that there is an evil scary tree in Wise Man's Fear and you can't deny there is more deforestation than ever out there in the world. 

Coincidence? 

There's also an Evil Tree in the Mighty Boosh. I smell conspiracy!

:sigh:

I''ve been foolish. I allowed myself to get my hopes up when I saw this thread had gained six pages in a week. "Major news must have broken!" I thought happily for a few moments. "Maybe the series in't completely lost after all!"

But now, it's just the thread sinking to ...uhh ...not a new low, maybe, but a spurt of unrelated activity. And it still appears to be taken for granted that the Kingkiller Chronicle will never get anywhere.

Shame. I liked the first book immensely, and the second was definitely enjoyable too, but then I discovered the status of the series' writing progress. Since then I've been wary of re-reading the books, since I don't need to fuel my enthusiasm for something that isn't likely to continue.

On 9/26/2018 at 4:59 AM, Kyll.Ing. said:

:sigh:

I''ve been foolish. I allowed myself to get my hopes up when I saw this thread had gained six pages in a week. "Major news must have broken!" I thought happily for a few moments. "Maybe the series in't completely lost after all!"

This is my problem with the Thorn of Emerblain thread.

Of course the answer is obvious - author rotation. Rothfuss has to finish Winds of Winter, Lynch the Door of Stone and Martin the Thorn of Emberlain. 

Dense, complicated plotting and settings for Rothuss. 

Ripping yarns and somewhat morally dubious protagonist for Lynch. 

Lots of description of food for Martin. 

59 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

This is my problem with the Thorn of Emerblain thread.

Of course the answer is obvious - author rotation. Rothfuss has to finish Winds of Winter, Lynch the Door of Stone and Martin the Thorn of Emberlain. 

That could be fun

18 hours ago, Vaughn said:

Why are we not funding this? :lol:

The problem there is that Death of the Author kicks in. The text portrays Kvothe as amazingly good at everything - why wouldn't his commentary on love also be seen as non-problematic? If Rothfuss wants to convey a particular thematic point, he needs to do it via the text, not through authorial interviews. It's not simply a matter of POV either. Scott Lynch is able to make it very clear that his protagonist's attitude towards love is profoundly unhealthy - no-one's going to quote Locke Lamora on love.

I also cringe a bit about Rothfuss' attack on Esio Trot. Dahl wrote dark stories, featuring objectively messed-up people. It's part of his enduring appeal for children. Esio Trot isn't supposed to be a love story, it's about our protagonist being clever. 

Archived