Rothfuss XIV: The Slow Regard of Luna Lovegood

Darth Richard II

On the topic of editorial intervention 

Did you guys know that Toriyama initially intended for Androids 19 and 20 to be "the Androids" until his editor was like "cool, but where's the actual villains?"  So he added 17, 18 and Cell.   And then he intended Imperfect Cell to be Perfect Cell until the editor was like, "So what does he look like in his Perfect form?"  And then we got the handsome devil known as Perfect Cell. 

I'm still curious about Z.'s info on book 3. I think we can safely assume that a draft of it is complete -- Peter Brett once tweeted that he had a beta copy & was reading it, a long time ago, maybe 6-7 years? -- but the floating idea that it basically sucks would be in line with the extreme delay and Rothfuss's refusal to discuss it.

And I just gotta say LOL at the decorum-buttons pushed earlier about criticizing the author. This is a forum where Tairy Yeardkind has 50+ threads bashing his douchery and R. Scott Bakker discussions routinely devolve to dissecting his foot-in-mouth disease. If Rothfuss a) wasn't so popular and thus influential in the gnre, b) if his books were a lot better than his obnoxious fanboi / girls proclaimed, c) he didn't make grandiose statements about the series and seem completely unable or unwilling to back these statements up with evidence other than an utter, utter dogshit slice-of-life novella with a whinging "don't judge me imma unicorn, u can be unicorn too" prologue & epilogue to boot, d) if he wasn't making bank milking the swag of the series to the nth degree while failing to deliver, e) write misogynistic blog posts and hate on series he ripped off wholesale (HP... even then, the decorum button need not be pushed. Polite discussion about overrated authors is not the reason many of us visit westeros.

I'll criticise Rothfuss for making foolish comments (it's not as if we have much else to discuss about him at the moment), but there are several lines I won't cross. Writer's Block *is* a thing, even if Rothfuss himself denies it - the frustration is less with the delay (I have a love/hate relationship with the books anyway), and more the perceived dishonesty or at least denial about it. 

13 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

I dunno. 

Rothfuss was obviously FOS when he made his infamous "good to go" proclamation all those years back, but he has maintained that he drafted an ending long ago and [at least at one point] knew where he was going with the story. I would be very surprised to learn that book 3 hasn't at least been plotted out to the point where ghost writers couldn't help fill in the gaps.

You couldnt get a james patterson writer... You'd have to get someone who is really good at writing like pat and someone who has read a lot of his influences.

13 hours ago, unJon said:

IIRC, there was buzz around the internet at one point that a book 3 manuscript went to beta readers and the feedback was not positive. The implication was that PR has been trying to fix it ever since. 

The ending he wanted as a 20 something is a whole lot different than what it should be.

12 hours ago, Zorral said:

Generally, the way it works when editorial intervention is necessary to get a book from an author, the editor/s get a hotel room, visit the author's home, whatever, and hole up with her, and go through an excruciating, endless process, of q&a and somebody types, preferably the author -- but not always.

It hasn't been unknown for the author in this circumstance to take a runner either.

So they are kind of brainstorming what could happen or how something could be resolved together?

12 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I hate that Rothfuss' misogyny gets complete ignored. I think he's worse then a lot of people that do get accused of it.

You're clearly barking up the wrong tree. He used to host meetings of the college feminists and stuff.

Misogyny disproved.

Archived