Rothfuss XIV: The Slow Regard of Luna Lovegood

Darth Richard II

It's terrible of me but I am still fond of PCU. 

"A Bridge Too Far." Caine and Hackman in the same movie. This is my thesis man! This is my closing argument! I CAN STOP WATCHING TV!

I expect it's the sort of thing that Rothfuss would frown on. But in any case, I suppose we're straying from the topic of Rothfuss, his works, its spinoffs, etc.

On 10/2/2018 at 12:10 PM, unJon said:

IIRC, there was buzz around the internet at one point that a book 3 manuscript went to beta readers and the feedback was not positive. The implication was that PR has been trying to fix it ever since. 

There were pictures of beta readers with the manuscript posted to Reddit - I think the link is in this thread actually.  It was like 5 years ago or something ridiculous at this point.  So he had something he wanted to publish or thought was publishable half a decade ago.   He seems like a guy really high on neuroticism - so imagine someone like that getting told by beta readers i.e. friends and family that you book sucks.  It seems to me he probably over-reacted and just started half-hearted rewrites. 

Misogyny was probably too strong a word.  I just remember a lot of the stuff like the cup size talk and the whole girl next door stripping thing regarding the hobbit, plus when he got all mad at people who didn't like his ninja sex and called them prudes, all happened when a bunch of other authors were getting reamed for being horrible misogynists for far less shit. Plus I remember Rothfuss' fans gushing over TWMF and at the same time talking about how women can't write fantasy cause they fill it up with yucky evil sex. (Apparently the ONE chapter of sex in Jemsin's first book was "too far".) I mean, this was all pre gamergate and puppies and those peopel have all shown their true colors now, but it really rubbed me the wrong way, and now I'm ranting. Ahem.

Rothfuss problem is he has absolutely no self awareness. At all.

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Misogyny was probably too strong a word.  I just remember a lot of the stuff like the cup size talk and the whole girl next door stripping thing regarding the hobbit, plus when he got all mad at people who didn't like his ninja sex and called them prudes, all happened when a bunch of other authors were getting reamed for being horrible misogynists for far less shit. Plus I remember Rothfuss' fans gushing over TWMF and at the same time talking about how women can't write fantasy cause they fill it up with yucky evil sex. (Apparently the ONE chapter of sex in Jemsin's first book was "too far".) I mean, this was all pre gamergate and puppies and those peopel have all shown their true colors now, but it really rubbed me the wrong way, and now I'm ranting. Ahem.

Rothfuss problem is he has absolutely no self awareness. At all.

No self awareness. 

Best 3 words

https://www.tor.com/2018/10/04/patrick-rothfuss-nycc-dungeon-master-advice-book-3-update/#more-398476

. . . . Rothfuss revealed that he has a “secret translator forum” in which translators can ask him questions about intended meanings and access important documents highlighting which seemingly incidental details are actually incredibly important later on....

7 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

His fans give him a pass on that for sure, and it's a bit rich of him to preach at anybody about feminism. But outside of his fan club I think his misogyny (such as it is) gets the attention it deserves, considering that it's the kind of misogyny that stems more from cluelessness or obliviousness than from hate. I do believe that Rothfuss genuinely tries to be on the side of women's rights and inclusivity, which mattes a lot these days. With all of the red pull nutters and such out there, I really think some dumb comments about his characters' cup sizes is kind of trivial.

Say what you want about his conduct as a writer/author, but with all of his charitable work especially I think it's hard to deny that he is a positive force in the world.

He's a classic White Knight. It's not that uncommon among nerds, particularly those who grew up in the 80's and 90's. Most of us outgrew it as real life experiences tore away the fantasy. Some never have. 

18 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I don’t think White Knight means what you think it means.

Dorky schlub fantasizes about za wemins, grows up and makes himself loudly a feminist, while regressive concepts lurk within his creative work and erupt openly on the blog (what is that Hobbit post but the teeth gnashing lament of the White Knight's pixie mystique soiled? Draw thy sword and slash thy offending image from sight! that damsel was mine, I tells you!). Kvothe's awful "i'm Denney's special me" speech is White Knight epitomized, and one of Rothfuss's more uncomfortable and intimate writings. Came from the heart, yo.

This, I suspect, is part of the delay for book 3. Reveal to the adoring fans that Kvothe is scum stalker egomaniac for critical appeal, or appease those who vigorously buy his crap swag and give him likes and protect him from the meanies of the world... hard choice, to be sure.  

“Is Book 3 still a real thing?”

:lol:

ETA: Honest question (applies to all authors who have books "pending"): Why wouldn't you just start every public appearance with a "brief update" ("Thanks for coming. Before we get started, let's just address the elephant: Still working on it. Sorry. No other news.") instead of getting angry or offended when people ask the inevitable question?

If you are famous because of your writing and people are coming to hear you speak because of your writing, why not just answer the question in everyone's head? I get that it's tedious. I understand it's hard to verbally remind them (and yourself) that the book isn't much closer to completion. But if you insist on being a public figure and doing press tours/conventions, then it isn't too far a stretch to just say: 'Ditto on the elephant. Let's move on."

Why wait for the obvious snarky question and appear like a douche for avoiding? If it's that painful to talk about, don't do appearances where 50+% of your audience is there for your books. 

17 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Why wait for the obvious snarky question and appear like a douche for avoiding? If it's that painful to talk about, don't do appearances where 50+% of your audience is there for your books. 

Who are the other 49%? Confused overflow from the Daredevil panel?

Even George and Scott know that question is coming and will either talk about it up front, or if someone asks about it they'll say they're working on it and then move on. There's a difference between not being able to give in-depth updates (mostly because previous ones have gone amiss) and getting pissed off when someone asks for an update when you must known (as a sentient rational human being) that question is 100% going to come up. If you don't want to answer the question, don't do a public appearance.

11 hours ago, brunhilda said:

Who are the other 49%? Confused overflow from the Daredevil panel?

:lol: 

Ok 90+%. I tried to leave a (too) wide margin of error since in the intro to one of his above linked panels he addressed the fact people do show up because of his "celebrity" status having not read the books.

Writing is hard.

Personally,  personal issues aside with him being depressed or an ass or whatever. I think the biggest mistake he made was to say Book 3 was written already.

But at the same time,  a book does not automatically come out the finished article. I don't know anyone who has published a first draft which is awesome.  For all we know, a written book 3 was a rough draft or an outline

54 minutes ago, Andrew Gilfellon said:

Writing is hard.

Personally,  personal issues aside with him being depressed or an ass or whatever. I think the biggest mistake he made was to say Book 3 was written already.

But at the same time,  a book does not automatically come out the finished article. I don't know anyone who has published a first draft which is awesome.  For all we know, a written book 3 was a rough draft or an outline

I don't think being depressed is something you can blame him for, but surely of what you have listed, the biggest mistake should be that he is an ass.

I mean, we can understand that he is having difficulties. Shit happens, writing is a creative process and not a factory assembly line, we already knew the "complete story" was off the table after the time required for WMF, plus he has a charity and other time commitments. Anyway, the delay of DoS is disappointing, but that is it. The vitriol towards him is mostly due to him being an ass. 

1 hour ago, Proudfeet said:

I don't think being depressed is something you can blame him for, but surely of what you have listed, the biggest mistake should be that he is an ass.

I mean, we can understand that he is having difficulties. Shit happens, writing is a creative process and not a factory assembly line, we already knew the "complete story" was off the table after the time required for WMF, plus he has a charity and other time commitments. Anyway, the delay of DoS is disappointing, but that is it. The vitriol towards him is mostly due to him being an ass. 

Oh I didn't mean to insinuate that he should be blamed for depressed. I'm depressed at times but it doesn't effect my writing. The OCD does.

I just meant that if you pushed those issues aside, his big mistake was saying the trilogy was completed and then not producing the last volume, and being an ass about it, or not understanding that the majority of people, are more interested in his writing and his stories than him, if you get what I mean? Like, I enjoy R Scott Bakker, but I have no interest in his philosophical ramblings on his website or twitter. I just want to read what he publishes.  Those are the people getting angry, and Rothfuss should have handled things better in regards to people asking about book 3. Not announcing that he's suddenly decided its a prologue to the real story or whatever.

Personally, I just hope he finishes the book because then it is like a weight off his shoulders.

Archived