Rothfuss XIV: The Slow Regard of Luna Lovegood

Darth Richard II

1 hour ago, Andrew Gilfellon said:

Oh I didn't mean to insinuate that he should be blamed for depressed. I'm depressed at times but it doesn't effect my writing. The OCD does.

I just meant that if you pushed those issues aside, his big mistake was saying the trilogy was completed and then not producing the last volume, and being an ass about it, or not understanding that the majority of people, are more interested in his writing and his stories than him, if you get what I mean? Like, I enjoy R Scott Bakker, but I have no interest in his philosophical ramblings on his website or twitter. I just want to read what he publishes.  Those are the people getting angry, and Rothfuss should have handled things better in regards to people asking about book 3. Not announcing that he's suddenly decided its a prologue to the real story or whatever.

Personally, I just hope he finishes the book because then it is like a weight off his shoulders.

Well, yes, there are unreasonable people who will demand that he works exclusively on the book. I don't think those of us here think that way. 

He can have his charity, conventions, twitter, blog posts, game streams as should any other author. The problem is that a lot of his statements are poorly thought out and expressed. While we might point to his advertising the series as essentially completed when NoTW was released, it really isn't what most of us bash him for. Its just the icing on the cake really.

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I thought there were meant to be 6 books? 3 dealing with Kvothe's past and 3 trying to fix the consequences?

No, there were 3 books originally, but he came out either this year or last year and said this is actually a prologue to the true story and that he has more books planned. It was on Tor's facebook feed

2 hours ago, Andrew Gilfellon said:

No, there were 3 books originally, but he came out either this year or last year and said this is actually a prologue to the true story and that he has more books planned. It was on Tor's facebook feed

I think the prologue statement was tongue in cheek. 

He's always said he'll be writing more in this world. And it's been too long/I'm too lazy to find it but I'm pretty sure Pat has given interviews where he said Book 3 will conclude Kvothe's story.

1 hour ago, Ninefingers said:

I think the prologue statement was tongue in cheek. 

He's always said he'll be writing more in this world. And it's been too long/I'm too lazy to find it but I'm pretty sure Pat has given interviews where he said Book 3 will conclude Kvothe's story.

Which isn’t to say that Kote’s Story is just beginning as of the end of DoS . . . 

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

So you're saying Rothfuss will write Islamophobic and homophobic screeds disguised as bad scifi?

No Rothfuss and Bast will accidentally go into the fae world for  a few weeks thinking it will only be 2 days in temerland. When they return it will be 300 hundred years into the future and all the main characters will be dead.

16 hours ago, lysmonger said:

Even if kvothe dies, he will be resurrected when Rothfuss's other books in the world  flop.

You made me laff, as it's so true.  Except for the part about him writing other books or any book, of course. :read:

On 10/7/2018 at 8:37 PM, brunhilda said:

Book 3 will complicate the overall Kingkiller Chronicle even more. “There are things in Name of the Wind you can’t understand until you’ve readWise Man’s Fear. There’s things in both of those books you won’t be able to understand until you read Doors of Stone,” Rothfuss said. “That’s the way I wrote them very deliberately, and it makes for a very long-lasting reading experience. If you read my books only once, you kind of miss most of them.”

:lmao: 

11 hours ago, Mazzack said:

That's a ridiculously pompous way of saying "I put foreshadowing in my books".

Yep, but it's really been a very long-lasting reading experience for me because it's been seven and a half years since the last book was released.

2 hours ago, Myrddin said:

This is the real gem. 

I also really enjoyed:

14 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

There’s things in both of those books you won’t be able to understand until you read Doors of Stone

In the same conversation that he refused to answer a question about when it will be released :bang:

I thought there were meant to be 6 books? 3 dealing with Kvothe's past and 3 trying to fix the consequences?

Yes, he said this in 2007 when the first book came out (along with "the entire trilogy is finished and will be out at one year intervals, and it's like finished right now so there's absolutely no danger of this not happening, right George? CHORTLE"). Later he tried to backtrack on it and say he didn't say that. And now he's saying it again.

1 hour ago, lysmonger said:

i think the next book series is supposed to be urban fantasy with a main character who is a woman in her fifties.

But that was before the current climate and now he is unsure whether or not to continue with Kvothe's sex change in order to further conceal his identity.

In all seriousness. I couldn't get past chapter 5 in book 1. That was when it first came out and when I disliked 1st person narrative. I no longer dislike first person now, but I don't want to try this series.

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yes, he said this in 2007 when the first book came out (along with "the entire trilogy is finished and will be out at one year intervals, and it's like finished right now so there's absolutely no danger of this not happening, right George? CHORTLE"). Later he tried to backtrack on it and say he didn't say that. And now he's saying it again.

And therein lies the problem. No-one criticises Scott Lynch for delays, because Lynch is so open and upfront about it. I would be far more forgiving of Rothfuss if he even just admitted that Writers Block is a thing, and that he's genuinely struggling with the third book. I'd even be willing to forgive his weird pomposity (we all have flaws) and inadvertent trolling. It's the naked dishonesty that's the issue.

9 hours ago, Andrew Gilfellon said:

But that was before the current climate and now he is unsure whether or not to continue with Kvothe's sex change in order to further conceal his identity.

In all seriousness. I couldn't get past chapter 5 in book 1. That was when it first came out and when I disliked 1st person narrative. I no longer dislike first person now, but I don't want to try this series.

Yeah now there will be a plot with Ambrose caught with a  transgendered prostitute. Kvotte has to stand up/take revenge for said individual. Long speeches continuous speeches will be made

Archived